Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has Serious Problems

N

NOLF92

I'll flat out admit that I have Windows auto-update disabled. When I hear about a new update, I research that update, and if it's necessary, I'll let it pass. However, I have to agree with Smith that it may be best to keep auto-update disabled, as to not allow a faulty update to install itself on your system. As I said, pick and choose, but anyone who refuses to do any updates and are content with fresh-out-of-the-box Windows 7, may be doing their systems a disservice (I am by no means claiming that anyone here subscribes to that ideology, by the way).

S

Smith83

But telling people to disable updates and not update their OS is not the best of practice.

Yeah, it is the best thing, that the average home user can do. For the business owner who keeps peoples credit card information, and the corporation with thousands of documents, who may actually be targeted in an attack, now that is stupid. People are free to do what they want, and trust me seeing what I post is not going to stop them from installing updates, the majority will look at what I am writing and say.... "What an idiot" and then go about their day. :)

This thread reminds me much of this movie.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
N

NOLF92

Yeah, it is the best thing, that the average home user can do. For the business owner who keeps peoples credit card information, and the corporation with thousands of documents, who may actually be targeted in an attack, now that is stupid. People are free to do what they want, and trust me seeing what I post is not going to stop them from installing updates, the majority will look at what I am writing and say.... "What an idiot" and then go about their day. :)

This thread reminds me much of this movie.

I think the misunderstanding is that everyone is misunderstanding. No one here is paranoid and anti-update. We're just careful.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015

Except that this is a security based forum and not a normal chit chat section either, so people who read this forum are interested in one point or another about security.

The core issue here is the misleading information being given: do not install updates at all.

As said before, if you would have said disable auto update and manually check, pick and choose, its fine. I have done that myself since XP SP3 release. Yes I was one of the affected users on that 1st release fiasco.

N

NOLF92

Except that this is a security based forum and not a normal chit chat section either, so people who read this forum are interested in one point or another about security.

The core issue here is the misleading information being given: do not install updates at all.

As said before, if you would have said disable auto update and manually check, pick and choose, its fine. I have done that myself since XP SP3 release. Yes I was one of the affected users on that 1st release fiasco.

Guess I was too young to remember the "fiasco". Care to teach me a history lesson?

S

Smith83

Your right..... Moving on

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Guess I was too young to remember the "fiasco". Care to teach me a history lesson?
day 1 sp3 release = Disaster mainly to AMD users ( I was AMD until i3/i5/i7 were first released).
The icing on the cake:
Repeated rebooting occurs on machines using an AMD processor
Registry corruption on some occasions
Here, you can read some info on it.

In other words, Windows 10 Threshold 2 1st iteration was not as bad as SP3 back then :)

Reactions: frogboy
H

hjlbx

OK, OK, OK... before this all gets stupid.

Here's an attempt at funny...
  • Some people like automatic updates - they do not wish to be bothered with it. This type person usually doesn't have Sandboxie installed.
  • Some people like to review updates before they install - this type person usually has Sandboxie installed.
  • Some people just don't want updates - period - until they have no choice by upgrading to W10.
Windows Updates break Sandboxie on a regular enough basis.

W10, well, is just broken...

In all seriousness, best policy is probably to allow Windows to download updates, but you decide what and when installed.

That's the routine I adhere to.

It keeps system safe while at same time gives me an opportunity to scout potential update problems online.

However, in the end, to each his own...

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
@Smith83

Do you think that all people know how to use computer and internet properly and in safe way without getting infected? Do you think that all people have time and knowledge to install updates when they want and which they want?

Have you heard about Conficker worm and its huge impact when it infected more than 10 million of PCs? And how it infected Windows, but through Windows vulnerability.

SANS: The Conficker Worm

Windows Update should be on, and if you know which update should be installed, which one is crap and which one should be considered, it doesn't mean that 99% of users that have no time, will or knowledge should follow your example.

P.S. Windows 10 is still crap (until they fix common bugs), but you can instead advise people to use this utility instead of telling them to disable Windows Update.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
@Smith83

Do you think that all people know how to use computer and internet properly and in safe way without getting infected? Do you think that all people have time and knowledge to install updates when they want and which they want?

Have you heard about Conficker worm and its huge impact when it infected more than 10 million of PCs? And how it infected Windows, but through Windows vulnerability.

SANS: The Conficker Worm

Windows Update should be on, and if you know which update should be installed, which one is crap and which one should be considered, it doesn't mean that 99% of users that have no time, will or knowledge should follow your example.

P.S. Windows 10 is still crap (until they fix common bugs), but you can instead advise people to use this utility instead of telling them to disable Windows Update.
There was just a difference of opinion between @Smith83 and me, nothing more nothing less, and I respect that.

We both put our points across and most likely agree to disagree.

Sana

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Dec 30, 2015
I agree to both installing and not installing updates. If you're a careful / experienced user, you might not need any updates. Like the BIOS updates, some people are more affected than others and on two occasion I got screwed because of them! If it ain't broken, don't fix it! I prefer to manually update, automatic updates just do my head in :p

Some threats are just too annoying, if any one recalls MS Blaster Worm that would restart your pc as soon as you logged on!

D

Deleted member 178

OK, OK, OK... before this all gets stupid.

Here's an attempt at funny...
  • Some people like automatic updates - they do not wish to be bothered with it. This type person usually doesn't have Sandboxie installed.
  • Some people like to review updates before they install - this type person usually has Sandboxie installed.
  • Some people just don't want updates - period - until they have no choice by upgrading to W10.
Windows Updates break Sandboxie on a regular enough basis.

W10, well, is just broken...

In all seriousness, best policy is probably to allow Windows to download updates, but you decide what and when installed.

That's the routine I adhere to.

It keeps system safe while at same time gives me an opportunity to scout potential update problems online.

However, in the end, to each his own...

im using Win10 home, im using Sandboxie, i update everytime, i have "god finger" , so no issues for me :p

about sandboxie, if something happens i just wait a new beta release :D

Reactions: upnorth and frogboy
H

hjlbx

@TwinHeadedEagle

I have stated what I will here, and @hjlbx has said it nicely, "To Each His Own"

@Smith83 I think you can understand @TwinHeadedEagle's point.

You exercise your freedom of choice not to install any Windows Updates - and that's fine - but it isn't generally recommended.

For example, I do a lot of things on my system that aren't recommended, but when I do state that fact I also typically emphasize that it isn't recommended.

Freedom of choice plus generally recommended advice for the novice\beginner.
im using Win10 home, im using Sandboxie, i update everytime, i have "god finger" , so no issues for me :p

That's funny...

Program about the "God Particle" is on TV right at this very moment...

Reactions: Smith83 and CMLew

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I'm a lawful person. I follow what the industry best practice is doing: install every updates:)
Furthermore, Wins 10 Home version, you can stop the updates from happening, which is beyond my control either.
Typically everytime I turn on my laptop the first thing I do is go and check for AV updates followed by windows update. Once then, then i will start working. Works well so far for me.

Anyway back to the topic. Seems this news backs my hunch that there might be something wrong with pre-Win10 and the developers are keeping their lips very tight. Just a hunch.

pneuma1985

Level 4
Verified
Aug 30, 2015
What version of windows isn't absolute buggy crap? JW? And MS would say that so you'll move to win10, so they can collect your metadata and sell that whenever they have enough of it. Win 10 has major issues right now as you can hack a win10 machine just as easily as you could a win7 machine: a few minutes and the machine is compromised with the right tools! So yeah maybe win10 has alot of new thing that allow for new games and new SW but most of us don't even want it. Id sooner take the risk with win7 and layering security than having MS spy on me constantly and steal my metadata! I run both and several distros of linux: Arch, Mint, Ubuntu, Kali. I like variety ;D And I love testing my network with kali its fun as long as you have a free junk machine... I've tried attacking both win7 and win10 a bunch of times each takes a different strategy but regardless each is easily compromised.
I'd love a stripped version of win10 without all the garbage MS has added to it...I know I can remove it always do and I stop their "spyware" as well but they'll keep adding it with new win10 updates thats for sure. Their are tutorials for controlling windows 10 updates as well I think on MT is where i read them lol not sure :D

As far as windows updates go well its always better to do research about the specific update before ever installing it I think any admin will tell you that! Seems like common sense.

Reactions: frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It's only a serious problem if you have Windows Updates disabled, or not running Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 installed.

In my opinion, and by now:
  • Windows 7 users should have Service Pack 1.
  • Windows 8 users should have upgraded to Windows 8.1 Update
Not forgetting the aggressive push for Windows 10, Windows 7 SP1 and 8.1 users who are experienced with Windows can change their Updates settings to "Let me check..." and un-mark Optional/Recommended updates.

Windows 8.1 users are reminded about updates on the Login screen, but I am unsure about Windows 7 SP1 users, so do not forget to install Critical Security updates.

Less experienced users can look at the software, as posted by:
... advise people to use this utility instead of telling them to disable Windows Update.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
I never seen Microsoft "Begging" to this level. NSA may not be satisfied with the amount of upgrades yet :p Sorry Sorry Microsoft, neither me nor my friends never ever going to use Windows 10 even if it offers Mount Everest like security. Security is just one aspect of many things in an OS. If there is no better OS than windows 7 ever releases I will happily continue use Windows 7 post 2020 with help of good security softwares till an alternative happens (over time who knows Linux or not ):cool:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.