Microsoft Warns Windows 7 Has Serious Problems

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
@TwinHeadedEagle As long as Windows 10 is concerned Nvidia drivers are far more worse than AMD drivers.
Windows 10 and the Recent Nvidia Drivers • /r/nvidia

In the sea of good drivers Nvidia released there must be one release that won't work for all people. I experienced the problems with Nvidia drivers once, but after 2-3 hours of battle to restore my computer to bootable and working condition I realized that problem was on my machine and not with their drivers. All I had to do is to clean all temporary folder and to run DDU, and after that problems disappeared. In 7-8 years of using Nvidia cards, that was the only issue.

Overall, AMD is very bad with their software. Drivers are buggy and released 3 times at year, while Nvidia release them for every game.

Reactions: Sven

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
People here need to learn how to recommend something and to whom they are recommending it. When dam starts cracking you don't patch it with bubble gums. Long story short, keep your Windows updated, important files backup-ed.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
In the sea of good drivers Nvidia released there must be one release that won't work for all people. I experienced the problems with Nvidia drivers once, but after 2-3 hours of battle to restore my computer to bootable and working condition I realized that problem was on my machine and not with their drivers. All I had to do is to clean all temporary folder and to run DDU, and after that problems disappeared. In 7-8 years of using Nvidia cards, that was the only issue.

Overall, AMD is very bad with their software. Drivers are buggy and released 3 times at year, while Nvidia release them for every game.

Who offers better drivers is a bit subjective in nature. From my personnel experience of 6 years with AMD cards, the only serious issue I faced was with Mafia 2 game. The game plays well but when exit the game, the desktop will go into low brightness (deep gray) and need system restart or log off to get back to normal. Other than that, I never faced any major issues with AMD drivers till now.

Reactions: upnorth

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Windows 7 is stable as heck.

And although I have a test PC with Win10 (Happy with the product,as well),my main laptop will run Win7 for as long it will handle it.
Since I bought it,not once I had to reformat.2 times a blue screen....in 6 years time.Way too solid.

I still remember when Vista came and wrecked our company.....Never thought Windows would recover from that blow.

Glad that they proved me wrong.

Reactions: TwinHeadedEagle

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I never used to update windows and often set it disabled. As time progressed, some processes, say for example, svchost, explorer etc went on using lot of memory than usual and started displaying a false warning "out of memory" eventhough 2GB was free. Then i started looking for a solution then I stumbled across KB article that acknowledged these issues and pushed these updates via WU. After installing these said updates, the issues were gone completely. So, I grabbed the latest release of win 7 SP1 and started looking for changelogs and selectively applied the updates. WHDownloader is a very helpful tool which briefly describes what updates are for and what it does. One category of updates which I hate the most is the .net framework patches. Atleast enable WU while installing updates.
Sorry for this long story.
@TwinHeadedEagle: AMD crimson drivers are proving to be good and the best driver suite that AMD offered while comparing their earlier iterations. I'm sad with only one part, adjusting powerplay setting still uses .net based interfaces and not their newer Qt based GUI.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Windows 7 is stable as heck.

And although I have a test PC with Win10 (Happy with the product,as well),my main laptop will run Win7 for as long it will handle it.
Since I bought it,not once I had to reformat.2 times a blue screen....in 6 years time.Way too solid.

I still remember when Vista came and wrecked our company.....Never thought Windows would recover from that blow.

Glad that they proved me wrong.

Exactly the reason why I am using Windows 7 for 6 years since it was released. The most stable OS, I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 because it is still buggy.

Reactions: Kuttz

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Exactly the reason why I am using Windows 7 for 6 years since it was released. The most stable OS, I don't want to upgrade to Windows 10 because it is still buggy.
Except that Windows 7 is not 100% perfect and still contains issues, same as windows 8 and 8.1 and 10.

If we however look in the bigger picture, Windows 7 has way less issues collectively that affect most users in common due to its release times pan, compared to windows 8/8.1 and 10.

Here is another core example: Ubuntu 12.04 is supported until 2017, while 14.04 is supported until 2019. Both are LTS. Do you think everyone is running 14.04? a big portion of users still use 12.04 because is more mature, tho some bells and whistles are only found on newer versions. Only difference in Linux Land is that Package A that is designed for several distributions have different revisions that work and will work on some.

Going backwards on MS life cycle: When XP came out, everyone jumped on the bandwagon that was not great and had issues. SP1 and SP2 came, things stabled. SP3 came and those who were around know what happened and everyone reverted to SP2 for quite some time.
Visa came out. By many, Vista was subpar compared to XP, but none can argue that its technology was superior to XP.
7 came out, we saw exactly the same thing we saw when 8/8.1 and 10 came out: I rather use XP than 7 because is more stable...

So in the end is people mentality and their opinion that windows 10 is subpar etc, fine, its peoples opinion, but on a core prespective, windows 10 has incorporated a more modern and one step forward technology compared to Windows 7, regardless if anyone agrees with business models, pr, privacy issues and so fort.

Looking at core features: windows 10 is superior to 8, which in turn superior to 7 and by a big stretch superior to xp. See the pattern?

I believe its important to highlight that although people's opinions on A being more stable than B, or B being better aesthetic than A and C can and should be voiced out but lets all not forget its technological improvements of A over B and so forth.

D

Deleted member 178

at last someone that understand that a new release is always superior; if we take each Windows after , let say, 10 years of maturation, and then compare them ; guess which one will be the best...?

it is like comparing a newborn baby with his father, and say "damn this baby is annoying" i prefer the company of his father...

Reactions: Soulbound

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
at last someone that understand that a new release is always superior; if we take each Windows after , let say, 10 years of maturation, and then compare them ; guess which one will be the best...?

it is like comparing a newborn baby with his father, and say "damn this baby is annoying" i prefer the company of his father...
Occasionally that is not the case on some releases, but in terms of OS releases by MS, yes that is correct.

If we talk about software releases, often than not, new releases are not always superior and on many cases a step back, but then again, other factors are involved.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I remember XP SP3 and that was bad news compared to some of Microsofts later update problems.The only blunder even close to that was the 8.1 which killed many machines Update service requiring a reinstall.
Windows 10 went on some machines as smooth as silk and others not so smooth. I put it on an old Sony Vaio and it ran great from the day I installed it.On an ASUS ROG it took me until now to get it to stick without problems.
If anyone remembers Windows 8 when it was released it was a nightmare for some also.Many software and hardware vendors dragged their feet,or so it seemed,in preparing for the new OS which was pitched long before its release.Then it is released and I think we were having the same discussion then about Windows 8 as we are now about 10.
This is the first time that I have totally migrated to one OS.I always had the new OS dual booted with the old whether it was XP & 7 or 7 & 8.1.Took me a long time from XP to go to 7 and well even though I had 8 installed I never really used it.
As for the privacy issues in Windows 10 I have changed all the settings I need to manually and that is not really a concern for me personally.I do however feel Windows 10 is much better than the previous operating systems however still not without bugs.

The main topic here was Microsoft Marketing chief Chris Capossela claim that Windows 7 users are at risk if they continue to use that operating system.That they are at risk for malware and problems with hardware and software compatibility.
This is not the case as Windows 7 is still supported until 2020.If someone could ever take back their words I bet Chris Capossela would.
Windows 7 is used by almost every Business,Government agencies from local to federal as well as most every institution.
The on topic discussion here should be more or less what on earth would motivate him to make such a statement,well aside from saving his own job.The only reason I can see is that Microsoft isn't getting what they wanted with Windows 10 and since their previous strategies haven't worked they have now resorted to a new one,fear.
Since free didn't get them everything they wanted and strong arm upgrade tactics haven't worked I imagine the fear route is the next logical ploy for MS.Personally this baffles my mind that a person in his position would even make such a statement.
I highly doubt any company in the PC software and hardware business is going to abandon their products support for Windows 7 when it is still used by so may people.Bottom line is his statement is just not true.

On a side note:
We at MalwareTips advise all members to keep their operating systems up to date.We have varying personal opinions on the subject from members with varying degrees of experience.Anyone with any questions or concerns about this matter,before making any changes on your PC,can contact any staff or trusted member and we will provide you with the answer or put you in contact with the proper expert on the matter.

Last edited:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015

There is no guarantee that the new born baby would "always superior" to his father. Well known genius peoples children were rarely known to the world in terms of skill or talent matching his great father :p

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Are you all saying Bill made all his money through crap policies, I never did like the guy, but with Microsoft here to stay, especially Government wise they have nothing to worry about, I mean to them we are just nothing. It would seem after Win XP all the other versions were never finished, and a total flop.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Windows 7 will be remain as one of important OS for everyone, and of course we cannot really insist to upgrade for Windows 10 as their view may valid due to their experiences.

In the case of updates, Microsoft should something to do more on better deliverance of avoid hiccups cause its one of the contributor reasons for not to do as a habit for majority of users.

Problems and bugs will never ever prevented but rather the rate where severity of danger may be isolated or not.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.