Microsoft will begin replacing Microsoft Edge with its Chromium-based browser next week

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Microsoft said in November that the new Chromium-based Edge would begin replacing the “traditional” Edge, which uses Microsoft’s own EdgeHTML to render pages. Yusuf Mehdi, corporate vice president in charge of Microsoft’s Modern Life & Devices Group, told PCWorld that the process would begin on January 15. Microsoft confirmed this in a document it released earlier this week, though with one caveat: If you’re a business user, you can choose to remain on the “old” Edge. According to Microsoft, Windows 10 Home and Pro PCs that are running Windows 10 1803 (the April 2018 Update) will be automatically updated to the new Chromium-based Edge, colloquially known as “Chredge” or “Edgium."

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I would not give it too much attention. MS software is generally unreliable in the terms of endurance. Like their ever-changing email service - hotmail, msn, outlook, live. MS loves to change names/designs every 2-3 years or simply discontinuing the whole service altogether. They made MS Edge in order to fight Chrome and looksy after all the effort they are abandoning their own browser and replacing it with Chromium, what a surprise. Then again, MS loves to live on the edge. I just hope, they will come up with a better name than Opera/Vivaldi, that alone drags the product down significantly.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

MS really is terrible with naming their products, especially when they re-use names for newer products which only adds to the confusion *cough Windows Defender* cough.

On the flip side though, I have been using the Dev version since it came out and I will be using it permanently from now on. IMHO this has to be the best browser that MS has ever done and I really have to give them props as it's very well done, not perfect, but very close IMHO. This will probably be the first browser that actually pulls people away from Chrome, but it being based of Chromium, is it really pulling people away from Chrome. :p :unsure:

I am glad that they are replacing it and are removing the current version, as MS has a tendency to keep older versions as "just in case." I hope that with this new browser that the finally remove IE permanently and I don't have to go uninstall it myself. I'm sorry, but if a company, or website cannot run properly on Edge, Chromium Edge, Chrome, Firefox by now, well you deserve to be left in the dust. I really don't see the reason as to why MS needs to keep IE as part of the OS anymore, just remove it completely.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I hope that with this new browser that the finally remove IE permanently and I don't have to go uninstall it myself.
Many companies require IE for the internal network, mostly because of activex. My company uses IE and Chrome, Edge does not work at all.
IE can not be easily removed, because many network settings are actually IE settings. MS is moving old control panel to Settings for years and it is still far done. Moving IE settings would probably break everything, so unless they intend to redo the whole Windows, IE will stay there forever.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Many companies require IE for the internal network, mostly because of activex. My company uses IE and Chrome, Edge does not work at all.

That makes sense.

I wonder if the new version of Edge would work like IE in that regard since it's based of Chromium? At minimum they should just remove it completely from the Home version as it only seems to be an issue for businesses, but hopefully the new version will fix that. (y)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I wonder if the new version of Edge would work like IE in that regard since it's based of Chromium?
They could make an inbuilt option, like IE Tab for compatibility problems, that would help a lot.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I would not give it too much attention. MS software is generally unreliable in the terms of endurance. Like their ever-changing email service - hotmail, msn, outlook, live. MS loves to change names/designs every 2-3 years or simply discontinuing the whole service altogether. They made MS Edge in order to fight Chrome and looksy after all the effort they are abandoning their own browser and replacing it with Chromium, what a surprise. Then again, MS loves to live on the edge. I just hope, they will come up with a better name than Opera/Vivaldi, that alone drags the product down significantly.
That's a norm nowadays, not just MS.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I have never managed to get Edge running to test it, because it is a heavily scripted store app, not a software, it just opens and closes instantly. :D
I'm running Edge as my daily browser for a long time now, but for home use, I have no interest in an IE mode. Could be great for enterprises.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.