Microsoft will begin replacing Microsoft Edge with its Chromium-based browser next week

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

I used this to stop auto update !

I'm in agreement with @Gandalf_The_Grey , why? The new version is far superior to the current version of Edge in many regards. If it's because you want it as your PDF reader, you can just use the new one as your PDF reader, afasik it has the same capabilities as the current Edge.

ItsReallyMe

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2017
I'm in agreement with @Gandalf_The_Grey , why? The new version is far superior to the current version of Edge in many regards. If it's because you want it as your PDF reader, you can just use the new one as your PDF reader, afasik it has the same capabilities as the current Edge.
It doesn't save where I left off and there is no way to highlight and set tabs aside and no built in dictionary which is very useful when reading books!

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
It doesn't save where I left off and there is no way to highlight and set tabs aside and no built in dictionary which is very useful when reading books!
You can run the new and old edge side by side is you're on Windows 10 Pro:
With the new Edge Dev version, you can give feedback on things like the pdf viewer.
If nobody does that things that you're missing will not be implemented.
They are listening to feedback because they really want the new Edge to successful.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I don't want to lose my favorite PDF reader Edge! It even saves where I left off in a document!

@Gandalf_The_Grey is correct about this feature and about sending feedback to M$. There have been many requests for this and related features on the Edge Insider Forum. Please consider adding your voice via "feedback" button or the forum.

Also a nice, simple and good looking free epub reader. I still use it for epub and pdf not for browsing.

This request has also been discussed on the Insider Forum, but may be less likely to be implemented.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I really like the new Edge, it's borderline perfect for me, & runs well on this PC, final looking forward too - Any name on earth would have been better than Edge, apart from the old Edge never catching on greatly there is a newish connection with certain 'activity' that makes me wonder who does the naming at Redmond? 🙄

Last edited:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I had the same problem with Edge asTairikuOkami. It would open and immediately close, run for a while and freeze, couldn't copy and paste, etc.

The Edge beta is a jewel. Everything works. It's fast, and I've never had it crash. I've been using it since it became available and I'm staying with it. On this laptop, it's faster than chrome or firefox.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
I will be looking to update to the new chromeedge tomorrow anxiously waiting for it VIA windows update. hopefully they improve it's phishing detection and blocking. the current edge is amazing with exe downloads and blocks pretty much anything malicious.. Hope this version improves the phishing detection as it will update more frequently...

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Chrome Edge already has extensions sync?

On "to do" list. Some things are slow.

Hope this version improves the phishing detection as it will update more frequently...

Version won't make any difference. Smartscreen is smartscreen and its updated continuously. It is what it is. Nothing is bulletproof. It's still very good.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I have been waiting for this release and to see if I finally can justify using Edge as my default browser,up until now always have found Chrome better especially syncing my home computers favorites, downloads ,bookmarks.
I don't think you will be disappointed.
Tried the leaked stable, the beta and the dev version and the leaked stable is my only used browser for several months now.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I don't think you will be disappointed.
I have been every single time. Although I loved the experience, I've always encountered many bugs (even since they leaked stable version); most commonly the icon dissapearing, turning blank. Plus the lack of extensions sync is an alert for me.

Anyways, in a matter of security and performance, I'm definitely migrating once it's cold and out of the oven.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I have been every single time. Although I loved the experience, I've always encountered many bugs (even since they leaked stable version); most commonly the icon dissapearing, turning blank. Plus the lack of extensions sync is an alert for me.

Anyways, in a matter of security and performance, I'm definitely migrating once it's cold and out of the oven.
I have been lucky or not paying much attention, but for me, the experience was almost bug-free.
Don't use extensions sync, but it will come:
Planned for January Enable sync of installed browser extensions between devices

Dex4Sure

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
May 14, 2019
I would not give it too much attention. MS software is generally unreliable in the terms of endurance. Like their ever-changing email service - hotmail, msn, outlook, live. MS loves to change names/designs every 2-3 years or simply discontinuing the whole service altogether. They made MS Edge in order to fight Chrome and looksy after all the effort they are abandoning their own browser and replacing it with Chromium, what a surprise. Then again, MS loves to live on the edge. I just hope, they will come up with a better name than Opera/Vivaldi, that alone drags the product down significantly.
LOL Google is way worse in this regard than Microsoft. How many services they have killed off after they failed spectacularly in the past is really daunting...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.