Microsoft Will Soon Bring Back The Start Menu In Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Microsoft Will Soon Bring Back The Start Menu In Windows 8.1 : on techcrunch.com : http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/02/microsoft-will-soon-bring-back-the-start-menu-in-windows-8-1/
Microsoft’s Terry Myerson today announced that Microsoft is “all-in” with the desktop. Indeed, while he wasn’t quite ready to announce Windows 9, he did show off how Windows 8.1 will soon get a new version of the beloved Start menu back.
When Microsoft removed the Start menu, quite a few of its users were upset, and this move did indeed make Windows 8.1 harder to use for many. The new Start menu will combine live tiles and other Metro-influenced UI elements, as well as most of the features still available in the Windows 7 menu.
In the future, all of Microsoft’s Universal Windows apps will also run in a window. That sounds like the company is backing off a bit from its Metro interface on the desktop.
It’s unclear when exactly Microsoft will launch these features, though. As far as we are aware, it will take another update to Windows 8.1 and it’s unclear when exactly this will happen.

From comments:
'they should have just included this as part of Update 1 next week.. The quicker they do this, the better for Windows 8 reputation.'

Mateotis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2014
Interesting. I did not particularly miss the Start menu, but I know many people did. Good to know MS finally listened to them!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
All of these users who took their time learning metro just wasted their time since metro will probably be discontinued and integrated into the Desktop with the Start Menu back as the navigation. Sometimes a new way of doing things is just not better than the old way especially when it causes a product to flop.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: Ink

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
They are too late.... There are many programs to replace the start menu in windows 8.

SifhX

Level 4
Verified
Jan 26, 2014
They are too late.... There are many programs to replace the start menu in windows 8.

Not really late , they are splitting Windows 8 for both Touch and Desktop users , they are fixing their mistakes by listening feedbacks from users

3link9

Level 5
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2138443/rejoice-the-start-menu-is-coming-back-to-windows.html
You heard right, devout desktop lovers: The Start menu is coming back to Windows, Microsoft operating system head Terry Myerson announced at Build on Wednesday.

The details are hazy, aside from the fact that it's going to be pushed to all Windows 8.1 users as an update at some point in the future. But it's a-coming—though it's not quite the Start menu you're familiar with. Beyond the traditional mouse-friendly features, the Windows 8.1 Start menu will be crammed with Live Tiles, along with the ability to find and install Microsoft's universal Windows apps, also announced Wednesday.

But the desktop friendliness doesn't end there: Those new universal Windows apps, which scale across PCs, tablets, and phones, will be able to run inside windows on the traditional Windows desktop. Both the Start menu and windowed Metro apps appear in the screenshot above.

Your prayers haven't quite been answered, PC fans, but Microsoft is definitely listening to your concerns—and it's bending over backward to create a Windows that mashes its touch-tastic, cloud-connected vision of the future together with the keyboard and mouse that the PC faithful know and love.

The compromises begin when the mouse-friendly Windows 8.1 Update hits on April 8, though it's unknown when the Start Menu and windowed Metro apps will push out as a feature.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I switched from Windows XP SP3 to my beloved iPad Air, and had no problems with the different GUI. It was easy as pie, the icons were right there. Tap and it opened. I tried Windows 8 and couldn't get used to the iOS-styled Start Screen, it was so difficult to get used to.

Just saying..

Reactions: Venustus

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I switched from Windows XP SP3 to my beloved iPad Air, and had no problems with the different GUI. It was easy as pie, the icons were right there. Tap and it opened. I tried Windows 8 and couldn't get used to the iOS-styled Start Screen, it was so difficult to get used to.

Just saying..
Is your laptop touch-enabled?

Reactions: Venustus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.