New Update Midori 11.0 - A Gecko-based Browser with Cloud storage and VPN

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

According to the developers, basing Midori on Gecko has resulted in up to 15% better performance compared to Chromium-based browsers, and a bigger 20% uptick in performance when compared to older Midori versions.

They also claim that even though the memory consumption has increased, they can still provide a lightweight and fast browsing experience.
The most obvious visual change with Midori is the new sidebar menu that comes with all the usual browser options such as Bookmarks, History, Downloads, and Notes. Pretty useful, kind of like Vivaldi offers.
Story via The Gecko Version of Midori Browser is Here!

misterman2100

Level 2
Verified
Dec 3, 2018
This is the first time I hear for this web browser. Does anyone use it?

I tried Android version, it is fast, but it uses Android WebView for the browser engine. 😐

I have used it for a solid two weeks on my Linux distro, and my general impression was it mimicked Floorp a great deal. And, as it was pointed out in the previous posts, perusing the comments on itsfoss.com kind of echoes the same sentiment, with the exception of pointing to their own services (of which I have not tried).

If you have a beef with Firefox and don't want to use Floorp, you wouldn't go amiss with Midori. It's better than the previous versions created with Chromium, but you need to be a little more cautious with forks and their associated services. (Remember the Waterfox debacle a few years back?)

misterman2100

Level 2
Verified
Dec 3, 2018
I don't. What happened to Waterfox?
Long story short, guy who made Waterfox sold to a company in 2019 that was primarily an ad company; that company (System1) also bought Startpage. Fast-forward to this past summer, Waterfox developer says he has independent control over it; however, many people wonder how much control he actually has and if there are any links to System1.

I'd be more than happy to have anyone else comment who's in the know more than I am!

• Thanks
Reactions: Nevi and Marko :)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Oh, that. I thought it was something else. From this year, Waterfox is independent again, if someone was wondering.

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Thanks. Kaspersky free deleted the main file because it detected a generic trojan. Did anyone experience similar, and is it a false positive?

Reactions: Nevi

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
It was the file midori.exe that was stopped rather than the installer. I decided to reinstall the browser and upload the file to VT:

The report in Kaspersky said:

Event: Process terminated
Application: Midori
User:
User type: Active user
Component: System Watcher
Result description: Terminated
Type: Trojan
Name: PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic
Threat level: High
Object type: Process
Object path: C:\Program Files\Midori Browser
Object name: midori.exe

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I used to use Midori ages ago, back in the pre-2010 era, and for a decade, it was the lightest browser ever, along with K-Meleon, and it wasn't even close. There wasn't another web browser that could even run on my Windows PC with just 256MB RAM. I had this PC for over 10 years.

I guess the project has now merged with the Astian Foundation since 2019. While I can't vouch for how good it is now, for anyone looking for an extremely light browser that consumes very few resources, this is the one to go for (if it's still the same browser I used to use back then).

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
It was the file midori.exe that was stopped rather than the installer. I decided to reinstall the browser and upload the file to VT:

The report in Kaspersky said:

Event: Process terminated
Application: Midori
User:
User type: Active user
Component: System Watcher
Result description: Terminated
Type: Trojan
Name: PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic
Threat level: High
Object type: Process
Object path: C:\Program Files\Midori Browser
Object name: midori.exe
This is a heur detection on execution, from the System Watcher module (Proactive Defense Module), so to solve it probably you will have to report to K. Support, to fix it they will ask Your product traces reproducing the issue.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.