midzan21's Work Machine

Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Real-time security
Windows Defender, Shadow Defender
Periodic malware scanners
MalwareBytes AntiMalware Free
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome - AdGuard, TrafficLight, I don't care about cookies, TubeBuddy ; Firefox - uBlock Origin ; Vivaldi 1.0 - uBlock Origin ; IE - integrated bTracking lists
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Shadow Defender

midzan21

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
So what do you guys and girls think about my current PC build (especially software part of it).
Because my machine is used with family members it isn't password protected (netplwiz and remove login password) but it have good protection.
Hardware part isn't good also but i3-2100 and 8GB of RAM is just fine for Ubuntu 14.04 in VM to run with Chrome and some other apps which I as student regualary use. VM with Ubntu is 64 bit because I try to make some custom ROM's for SGM2 (Samsung Galaxy Mini 2 S6500D).
My backup of clean machine is on second PC which sister uses for Word and basic Facebook surfing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
Oh ok, I forget to mention but you should add "https everywhere" for your browser to encrypt your communications with many major websites, making your browsing more secure.
cheers:)

midzan21

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
Oh ok, I forget to mention but you should add "https everywhere" for your browser to encrypt your communications with many major websites, making your browsing more secure.
cheers:)

Would take that for extension right now. Thanks for idea :)

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
...one thing that occurred me, since you shares the computer you should use SandBoxie while you surf to become with an extra layer of protection;)

Reactions: midzan21

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Very nice and well organized configuration, something to remove but its optional: Bitdefender Trafficlight since ESET can hold web blocking efficiently alongside with Adguard extension when activate malware protection.

midzan21

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
...one thing that occurred me, since you shares the computer you should use SandBoxie while you surf to become with an extra layer of protection;)

parents and sister don't actually download anything and now all protection from ads and fake (malware) sites. When I download I download from official sites not some derivatives.

You can add a password manager like LastPass to secure your passwords when you are online.
Other than that your config is very good and thanks for sharing.
p.s.: I like your back up << second pc>> excellent:D:D

Well just before writing this I downloaded LastPass for all important passwords ;) And yes second machine isn't extra but it works for some sisters basic work and backups =)

Reactions: tonibalas

midzan21

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
OK, I just updated my rig with new OS and a lot of freeware (trialware for WinRAR) to be genuine as f*ck. Nothing stay between WD and my brain.exe =)

D

Deleted member 178

you mentioned you download malwares and visit phising sites; you do it in the VM or in the host system? if in the host, i think Windows built-in security will not be enough to secure you.

Reactions: JM Safe and scot

midzan21

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
you mentioned you download malwares and visit phising sites; you do it in the VM or in the host system? if in the host, i think Windows built-in security will not be enough to secure you.
For now I started to try out Windows 10 Hyper-V for virtualisation to download malware samples & phising sites. If it fails then reverting back to VmWare Player.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
For now I started to try out Windows 10 Hyper-V for virtualisation to download malware samples & phising sites. If it fails then reverting back to VmWare Player.
Good choice for testing samples, play with them, etc.

midzan21

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 8, 2015
After a long time I got an small update on this Rig so check it out. Also I forgot to mention - Linux Mint 17.3 for e-banking (and programming in Java) and VirtualBox for VM's in both OS (dual-boot)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.