Operating system
Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
-Kaspersky Total Security 2021
-VirusTotal (if I doubt a lot of a file)
Firewall security
About custom security
Security
-App Control: just KSN rules, maximum restriction to unknown, just read C:\* if maximum restriction. Minimum restriction blocked access to Documents folder (it is where I set apps I trust but Kaspersky put on max restriction)
-Scheduled fast scan with KTS once a week, full scan once a month. Rootkit analysis still enabled
-Blocked telemetry via KTS firewall
-Fully removed Flash Player (deleted from Windows folder, needed Take Ownership hack)

Performance
-Using Ghost Spectre, which is pretty light out of the box (just like 6 GB installed) --> almost no UWP apps (just reinstalled 4), no Cortana, no OneDrive...
Periodic malware scanners
None
(If I get a malware infection which KTS can't handle I prefer to restore from full clean image and sync from MEGA)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Brave
-Intergated ad-block: enabled EasyList cookies + max privacy on rest of Brave settings
-BitWarden
-ClearURL
-LocalCDN

Edge Chromium Beta (2nd browser)
-AdGuard (at least 1 filter per category)
-BitWarden
-Kaspersky Security
-Privacy Possum
-Strict privacy/tracking protection
Maintenance tools
-HiBit Uninstaller
-HiBit Startup Manager (used mostly for right click VirusTotal "reputation")
-Wise Disk Cleaner (scheduled 1 clean per week)
-Wise Reg Cleaner (scheduled 1 clean per week)
-Privazer (on-demand, maybe twice a week, once or just every 2 weeks)
-TweakSSD v2 (portable, just use after 1st setup)
-Free Download Manager (on-demand)
File and Photo backup
-MEGA Sync
-External HDD
System recovery
Hiren's Boot Image --> Macrium Reflect (legacy: AOMEI Backupper)
Risk factors
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
-MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
-Ryzen 3500X
-Radeon RX570
-16 GB RAM
-500 GB M.2
Notable changes
12/05/2020 --> after 1 week test, I have definitely added Wise Reg Cleaner with scheduled scan and HiBit Startup Manager for right click scan on VirusTotal
05/06/2020 --> added eMclient + PrivaZer + UCheck
29/10/2020 --> switched my default browser to Brave (thanks to added sync feature) + changed backup software (AOMEI failed to restore image on my 2nd PC, fortunately I had a first backup from Macrium which worked like a charm) + updated Kaspersky KTS to 2021 version + extra efforts on privacy (blocked remaining M$ connections via Kaspersky firewall)

miguelang611

Level 2
Thread author
Apr 13, 2020
Just some comments about how I changed in just 6 months, but I hadn't even discovered this forum:
-Moved from Firefox + uBlock Origin to Edge Chromium + AdGuard
-Moved from iObit Uninstaller and CCleaner to HiBit Uninstaller and Wise Disk Cleaner (thinking of using also Wise Registry Cleaner) --> tried Revo, didn't like, Privacy Eraser either
-Moved from Windows 10 Pro 1909 with fully disabled updates to Windows 10 Pro 1909 with delayed updates to Ghost Spectre LTSC with paused updates --> in last 3 months I had to fix plenty of things manually, even I installed updates about 1 week after release, tired of it, made a switch. Having all disabled made me to miss security updates, then paused updates makes perfect balance for me
-Moved from avast Premier to Windows Defender with ConfigureDefender. WD gave me issues with trusted folders (sometimes it frozen and couldn't add allowed app), then I got frustrated. Tested personally on VM results with like 15 AVs and AV suites, and just Kaspersky and BitDefender convinced me, among with some videos from The PC Security Channel and this forum ofc. Used KSC Cloud Free for a week then I purchased Kaspersky Total Security. I prefer it too much over avast and over WD
-Started using MEGA Sync about 2 months ago. Among best things I added to my setup. Version history saved me some time.
-Replaced Edge password syncing to BitWarden
-Started using AOMEI Backupper after last fresh install of LTSC. Made a full setup and made image. I plan to restore every 2 months or so, just reinstall extra software if needed and grab documents from cloud *UPDATE on 05/06/2020: restored from that image after 1 month use bcs lot of garbage made since lot of software was tryed and I had time to do it*
-05/06/2020 --> Added eMclient as email manager, set up some rules and hey, I love it! (I was tired of web clients tbh :LOL:)
(END)
About this config, my 2nd PC (laptop) runs almost 1:1 config, but I use a password on that one since I take it out from home.
Suggestions are welcome, I am just learning everyday as most of you do ;)
Cheers!! :)

Last edited:

miguelang611

Level 2
Thread author
Apr 13, 2020
Could you expand on what this is?
Thats Windows 10 custom OS
Yes, it is a modded version of LTSC, also available of Pro version. The Ghost Toolbox it has makes it for me. You can tweak it easily from there for things like hyberfil, pagefile, reinstall UWP apps, and install StandAlone W10 updates:
This is the channel, and a video of it (toolbox has changed a bit):

Cheers!
PS: I installed Defender version although I use KTS

PS2: Toolbox looks like this these days:

1588710927393.png

Last edited:

miguelang611

Level 2
Thread author
Apr 13, 2020
Another small update
Added:
-PrivaZer (I run it once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less)
-eMclient as daily mail manager -very happy with it (tired of Gmail web + ugly corporate webmail)
-UCheck for app updates (on-demand only)
Cheers!
PS: Restored from 1 month old backup since I had been playing around and I had time to do it, so good opportunity to try UCheck and I liked it a lot!

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
No login security means an unauthorised user can easily hijack your PC with physical access, all your data is exposed.

I'm planning using an open source security key (opensk) with poor encryption and very weak firmware (easy to decrypt/ reflash or inject code into the firmware ).
What recommendation do you or anyone have .
Should I auto flash the key periodically?
Could an attack save code on the Nordic chip low level like controller /bootrom ?

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Yes, it is a modded version of LTSC, also available of Pro version. The Ghost Toolbox it has makes it for me. You can tweak it easily from there for things like hyberfil, pagefile, reinstall UWP apps, and install StandAlone W10 updates:
This is the channel, and a video of it (toolbox has changed a bit):

Cheers!
PS: I installed Defender version although I use KTS

PS2: Toolbox looks like this these days:

View attachment 238835

Don't use ghost make your own debloated iso .
Not sure if ghost have malware but he can always include malware Wich may even be very hard to detect .
Anyway most security features are disabled and the toolkit can include malware via an update.

And I tested it on a machine once to see Wich twaeks he used (just to learn via an hardware isolated/ quarantined laptop by a network hardware level Killswitch)and it still was slow in my very low end pc had to some further twaeking to increase performance .

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Fantastic setup and first time I have seen a custom Windows OS. Thanks for sharing.

~LDogg
Many in this forum used a iso based debloated windows setup (custom in your words)
I would never recommend anyone using a third party modified os.
as you can get better results from debloating an iso from Microsoft .
And ghost is pure piracy and total compromise of windows security.
And the windows activator / other pirated software there is very dangerous to use .
I won't recommend piracy (security and Ethical reasons )but the piracy sub Reddit mega thread has a few trusted sites although not all!
Just don't trust any comment on Reddit most are malware.

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
No login security means an unauthorised user can easily hijack your PC with physical access, all your data is exposed.
Technically any malware using UAC bypass could. A password, even a single letter, would prevent some elevations.
If someone would have a physical access, changing a local password is matter of 2 minutes at most, using utilman.

miguelang611

Level 2
Thread author
Apr 13, 2020
I'm planning using an open source security key (opensk) with poor encryption and very weak firmware (easy to decrypt/ reflash or inject code into the firmware ).
What recommendation do you or anyone have .
Should I auto flash the key periodically?
Could an attack save code on the Nordic chip low level like controller /bootrom ?
Don't use ghost make your own debloated iso .
Not sure if ghost have malware but he can always include malware Wich may even be very hard to detect .
Anyway most security features are disabled and the toolkit can include malware via an update.

And I tested it on a machine once to see Wich twaeks he used (just to learn via an hardware isolated/ quarantined laptop by a network hardware level Killswitch)and it still was slow in my very low end pc had to some further twaeking to increase performance .
I have been years debloating myself "original" Windows, no way of getting W10 to be as little as 5 GB installed
I know it is not a perfect OS, and you are always in doubt of what could be underneath... But I have scanned with plenty of software this OS and none positive (sometimes it detects the toolbox though as a 3rd party downloader)... However, I have tested it in lot of PCs and in all of them is pretty good
For performance on low end PCs, I still debloat myself W7, which is much better than any W10
Well, it is a matter of choice I guess, but if you are using Windows and Google, you should be already concerned about gone privacy and security... Also, I just use the toolbox very few times, and I don't use to update neither Windows neither anything via toolbox, maybe the image of incremental update
All in all, I have been running this as my daily driver for months and it is rock stable and none issue at all... Just to remember in terms of privacy, I have the toolbox put into low restriction in Kaspersky (which in my case it means that it is denied to access documents and personal data)
Technically any malware using UAC bypass could. A password, even a single letter, would prevent some elevations.
If someone would have a physical access, changing a local password is matter of 2 minutes at most, using utilman.
A Lock acts as a deterrent and whilst it's not 100%, it is better than no login security. I can't think of a reason why anyone would want to leave your house, without locking the front door.
Thank u both for the point, I guess I will put a PIN as I do for Bitwarden... However, none software which isn't trusted in the KSN is allowed to run on my PC, so I still feel safe haha
PS: For testing purposes I usually use a 2nd partition which runs W10 Pro without any personal data at all, which after test may be without being switched on for days or maybe weeks

miguelang611

Level 2
Thread author
Apr 13, 2020
Hi there!!

Just an update after all this time! Basically switched to Brave + changed from AOMEI to Macrium as backup suite + updated Kaspersky + improved privacy (had been looking at TCPView for days and looking online for M$ IP ranges, so now my PC doesn't have any outgoing connections after startup -if I disable Brave, Edge and other apps updaters ofc- //downside: lost ability to see MSN, or other M$ content, and ofc, no updates at all (however, they were already paused) )

Cheers!!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.