Advanced Plus Security Minimalist's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Aug 15, 2026
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
OS version and support details
N/A
On-device encryption
Not applicable
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
Security updates
Allow security updates
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
Router and network details
• Using wired connection
Real-time protection
• McAfee Antivirus
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall with Advanced Security
Custom security settings
• Network set to Public. File sharing and RDP disabled.
Periodic malware scanners
• HitmanPro
• SiriusLLM
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browsers and extensions
• Firefox:
- uBlock Origin
Secure DNS
• My ISP's DNS.
Desktop VPN
• using Tor browser for anonymous surfing
Password and passkey manager
• KeePass
Maintenance tools
• UCheck
• ShutUp10
• AppBuster
File and photo backups
Daily backup with Macrium Reflect + weekly manual backup to external HDD
Subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
• Macrium Reflect
• Daily system backup using Grandparent - Parent - Child backup scheme.
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
HP EliteDesk 800 G5 TWR
• Intel Core i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz
• Intel UHD Graphics 630
• DDR4 32 GB @ 2667 MHz
• 2x 500 GB SSD + 4TB HDD
Feedback preference

Only essential issues, please

How is Uckeck in comparison to Patch My PC Home Update? The latter does not detect most of my installed apps
uCheck works great for me. It detects updates for almost all software I use as their community database is large and it updates quickly.

As @lokamoka820 said, you can even set locations to scan and it detects updates for portable programs with no problem.
 
I've never tried WingetUI or UniGetUi. If I ever become unhappy with uCheck I will give it a try.
I tried UniGetUI and found that UCheck surpasses it. UniGetUI is essentially a front end (or GUI) for WinGet, the Windows terminal tool used to install and update software. In contrast, UCheck has its own application database, a community-driven database, and WinGet integration. The only real benefit of using UniGetUI is if you need to manage software from sources other than WinGet, such as Scoop, Chocolatey, Pip, NPM, .NET Tool, and others, which is relatively uncommon.
And maybe how did you hear of it?
This is the built-in Windows Firewall with its settings. To access it, open the Start menu, search for "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security," and select the result.
 
(officially Microsoft Defender Firewall) is a capable host-based firewall that excels at blocking unsolicited inbound connections. However, in its default state, it has a significant blind spot: it rarely monitors or blocks unauthorized outbound connections, leaving devices vulnerable to malware sending data out. Does the advance windows firewall address this?
 
(officially Microsoft Defender Firewall) is a capable host-based firewall that excels at blocking unsolicited inbound connections. However, in its default state, it has a significant blind spot: it rarely monitors or blocks unauthorized outbound connections, leaving devices vulnerable to malware sending data out. Does the advance windows firewall address this?
Out of the box Windows Firewall won't block outbound connections even if you set it up through Advance Security settings. You have to create your own rules for outbound connections if you want to control them.
I personally don't want to go with whitelisting type of firewall for outbound connections but I've made some rules for apps which I don't want to connect to internet.
For malware part of outbound connections, I leave it to McAfee. Their Advanced Firewall is included in their AV for this purpose.
 
Since I've bought and used licenses for different antiviruses during last years, I decided to check out how aggressive they are with emails, when they try to persuade you to renew your subscription.
Here are results for three AVs that I’ve used in last few years:

7 emails from Emsisoft (30, 14, 7, 3, 2, 1 and 0 days before license expiration)
6 emails from Eset (30, 14, 7, 3, 2 and 0 days before license expiration)
4 emails from McAfee (30, 15, 7 and 0 days before license expiration)

I did not use any of those licenses when they were about to expire, so I don’t know how frequently AVs would show additional desktop notifications.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top