Minimum Software to Protect from Malware

Old harps

Thread author
Jun 12, 2014
My big question is how many anti-malware programs do I need for good protection? I just followed the procedure on MalwareTips to purge the Java Required virus. This involved AdwCleaner, Malware Bytes & Hitman Pro. Several hundred baddies were found and removed. Since the last one used was Hitman, would that alone have been enough to clean out what the other two programs purged first? I don't mind paying for one good cleaner/shield but paying for several seems wasteful. I have two home-networked computers and want to protect both. I also run the Avast boot scan quite often on both machines.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

KaptainBug

Level 12
Verified
Dec 26, 2013
You don't need to spend a lot on security softwares. But investing in Malwarebytes is worth it. You can buy them for one time and use it for lifetime. Here's a link for lifetime license.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/eureka/

Combine Malwarebytes with a good free antivirus and you are good to go. Remove Microsoft Security Essentials from your config. Don't use 2 antivirus in realtime.

Follow these basic computer usage tips and you will never get infected.
http://malwaretips.com/threads/7-commandments-of-computer-usage.28286/

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
I dont think someone always needs to pay to be secure agains PC threats, there are plenty of free security software that can be combined to achieve a very good multi-layer of protection :)
For example, you can try:
-Qihoo 360 IS (or TS when it will be stable), thats a really good multi-engine AV;
-COMODO IS (AV module + strong firewall, if you set it up his features properly that's very very effective);
-Avast with Hardened Mode is really powerful, or Avira :)

If you feel to need another layer of security you can add a firewall to replace windows' built in one, like Emsisoft Online Armor or PrivateFirewall, both are really effective :)

Adding scheduled scan with Mbam free + Hitman pro + Eset online scanner would be enough in most cases, and you will get a steel-protected pc without to pay anything.

If you feel to need a more complete solution you can always try a non-free AV, i always suggest to use trial versions to see if they really satisfy you and fits your needs, and then decide if buy it.

Then you should try ESET, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, Bitdefender, Emsisoft (just to list you some) and many others Av/suites by simply having a look to the forum and other users opinions. :)

Remember always to include our big-loved sandboxie to your config, whatever it will be! :cool:

(That was a looong post) :D

Old harps

Thread author
Jun 12, 2014
I dont think someone always needs to pay to be secure agains PC threats, there are plenty of free security software that can be combined to achieve a very good multi-layer of protection :)
-Qihoo 360 IS (or TS when it will be stable), thats a really good multi-engine AV;
-COMODO IS (AV module + strong firewall, if you set it up his features properly that's very very effective);

If you feel to need another layer of security you can add a firewall to replace windows' built in one, like Emsisoft Online Armor or PrivateFirewall, both are really effective :)

Adding scheduled scan with Mbam free + Hitman pro + Eset online scanner would be enough in most cases, and you will get a steel-protected pc without to pay anything.

If you feel to need a more complete solution you can always try a non-free AV, i always suggest to use trial versions to see if they really satisfy you and fits your needs, and then decide if buy it.

Then you should try ESET, Kaspersky, Trend Micro, Bitdefender, Emsisoft (just to list you some) and many others Av/suites by simply having a look to the forum and other users opinions. :)

Remember always to include our big-loved sandboxie to your config, whatever it will be! :cool:

Thank you for the detailed reply. Though I’m good with computers (my first was a Commodore 64 in 1984) I’ve just started to be overwhelmed with adware and other bad stuff (have always had AV, mainly Avast) and I just subscribed to MalwareBytes.
If you were just getting started with building an effective set of defenses, which software would you choose out of the several listed in your reply? Thank you,
Old harps

Reactions: vrb93

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
You're welcome! :)
Your subscription with Malwarebytes worth the money, that's sure.
If your main problem is more against adwares and other generic Potentially Unwanted Apps/Programs (PUPs and PUAs) i can personally suggest you Eset between the 'payed', because of its very high detection rates both in generic malware side and in PUPs/PUAs.
On free side you can give Qihoo 360 a try, its detection rates are quite impressive, or Avira :)
You can have a look to the review area to have an idea of all the security products you could use as a multy-layer combo with MBAM pro, and take a look to other users' configs with it to see what are their impressions.
Obviously, more users will come here to give you their advices :D

Reactions: King Alpha

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.