MJ Registry Watcher

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
MJ Registry Watcher is a simple registry, file and directory hooker/poller, that safeguards the most important startup files, registry keys and values, and other more exotic registry locations commonly attacked by trojans. It has very low resource usage, and is set to poll every 30 seconds by default, although you can adjust this to anywhere between 0 and 9999. A configuration file stores all your settings for future use. MJRW not only polls the system, but it also hooks it, so that most changes to keys, files and directories are reported instantaneously. Key deletions are still caught by the polling loop though, since they cannot be hooked. Exactly which keys and files are protected can be completely configured by the user, although the sets I supply with MJRW will cover most standard PCs.

There is an additional automatic registry backup system that takes a snapshot of the entire registry about every 28 days and stores it in the directory MJRegBackup. The filename is of the form MJRegBackup_yyyymmdd.reg where yyyy is the year, mm is the month and dd is the day. The last 15 snapshots are kept. They can be restored from a menu option : this can be used in Safe Mode as administrator to rescue a non-booting PC. It should only be used as a last resort : it saved my PC when I accidentally knocked out the video drivers during an over-zealous session in the registry, cleaning out "LogMeIn"!

Link: http://jacobsm.com/mjsoft.htm#rgwtchr

a free alternative to winpatrol

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I've heard of this before but didn't got time to test it. Might test it on a 32-bit PC. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
just installed on my x64 system, via admin right as the website said, it use 22mb. and react faster than winpatrol (which alert me 5mn later :D )

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
just installed on my x64 system, via admin right as the website said, it use 22mb. and react faster than winpatrol (which alert me 5mn later :D )

How much RAM usage does it use?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
you need glasses McLovin, i said 22 mb (Working set) :D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
lol when it detect a registry change, it emit a big honk :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Will give it a try that is for. I have never used something like this before.

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
Please do keep us informed on your experience with this free offering as opposed to the paid one winpatrol and how it compares... even a detailed review would be nice and benefit all users/readers?? ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
it is mostly for paranoid like me or people who want always have an eye on their registry because they have to manipulate it. it is not a must have.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I still prefer WinPatrol PLUS with the Advanced Registry Protection List since it's much easier to work with. WinPatrol PLUS reacts a little bit of too late though. :p

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
BoXX28 said:
I still prefer WinPatrol PLUS with the Advanced Registry Protection List since it's much easier to work with. WinPatrol PLUS reacts a little bit of too late though. :p

I use to use WinPatrol PLUS with the Advanced Registry Protection List too! i loved it, but after becoming very familiar and confident with the registry i abandoned these types of softwares altogethor.

Good to see someone else uses WinPatrol PLUS too! :D

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Even though that I have a huge amount of knowledge when it comes to the Registry, I still prefer in using such programs because I want to know on what's getting written on it.

E

Exorcizm

Thread author
BoXX28 said:
Even though that I have a huge amount of knowledge when it comes to the Registry, I still prefer in using such programs because I want to know on what's getting written on it.

That can be true and useful :)

I guess it would come in handy if you have heaps of programs etc installed :)

Where as i'm only using 18.5GB out of 120GB on my Windows SSD LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.