Mobile Banking Trojans Surge, Doubling in Volume

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Mobile malware developers were busy bees in 2022, flooding the cybercrime landscape with twice the number of banking trojans than the year before.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

The first billion dollar bank hack will be from a compromised Android phone. Or at least the kill chain will start there.

Let's say it results in thievery from a Chinese bank. The click-bait security news will report it. The reaction will be "Oh my...". In short, nothing will be done.

Let's say it is Rupert Murdoch's money. There will be alarms and outrage from powerful people. "Something must be done!" will be screamed across social media. Rupert will make some phone calls and that alone will put meaningful changes (however small) into motion.

Let's say it is money that belongs to the Big Daddy Dukes that control Wall Street. The US President and Foreign Ministers will make statements every few hours. Governments will go into immediate nuclear clock "2 seconds to Midnight" mode. There will be tanks in the streets and some second Suns will be dropped onto choice foreign locations.

Last edited by a moderator:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I am reading the news as: Mobile Phishing Surge, Doubling in Volume
Sharkbot, for instance, was found masquerading as a file manager that seems benign (and can evade Google's vetting process) — until it's installed. At that point, it requests permission to install additional packages that will together carry out the malicious banking Trojan activity.
Again, firewall is my main defense on android as well. I do not see any reason to allow internet for a file manager. I allow internet only for reputable apps.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The best is not to use the phone for financial transactions like for banking, online shopping etc

Use your PC/laptop is more secure for they afford better protection with your security setup. If you want to use a phone for financial transactions, then use a dedicated phone for this purpose ONLY and nothing else like surfing the net, gaming, watching online videos, emailing, receiving/replying SMS, social media etc. Secure from there.

Below is an example of phone scamming

Last edited:

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
The best is not to use the phone for financial transactions like for banking, online shopping etc

Can trojan's monitor/intercept transactions using Point Of Sale terminals with apps like Apple Wallet on my phone? Geez, I don't want to have to go back to carrying a wallet.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I dont use banking app on phone and also never use card details when buying online instead im using paysafecards

Incase i use trend micro/avast ultimate on every family device incase of phishing, family link takes care of rest

Reactions: MuzzMelbourne

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.