Mobile devices are on track to destroy the eyesight of an entire generation, scientists warn

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Mobile devices are on track to destroy the eyesight of an entire generation, scientists warn
sick eye.jpeg
sick eye.jpeg from eyeplaceusa.com smartphone-ized, iPhoneized etc huaweiized
Most parents insist that their children wear sunglasses for a day at the beach, but they give little thought to allowing kids to damage their eyes using electronic devices. In fact, some experts say that using cell phones, TVs and tablets isn’t much different from looking at the sun when it comes to the damage it can cause your eyes.
The blue light that is emitted from the screens of these devices happens to be precisely in the range where it can cause the most damage: around 430 to 440 nanometers. It may have a short wavelength, but its high energy means it penetrates right through the lens of the eye and the cornea to reach the retina in the back of the eye. This can cause macular degeneration and eventually blindness. Doctors warn that Millennials, who tend to spend lots of hours looking at screens all day, risk starting to go blind once they approach 50.
Many people experience frequent headaches as a result of digital eye strain, and it’s not unusual for their vision to become blurry. According to ophthalmologist Dr. Alan Mendelsohn, looking at a screen for more than half an hour a day is risky.
Dr. Mendelsohn told 16-WNDU about a simple way to lower your risk: distance yourself from the screen. He says there’s just one quarter of the exposure when you hold the device two feet away from you compared to one foot away. However, he says that children need to look at screens from a minimum of three feet away to avoid endangering their vision.
The American Optometric Association reports that 80 percent of kids experience tired, itchy or burning eyes after using electronic devices for a long period. That’s because people blink less often when they stare at electronic screens; blinking lubricates the eyes and reduces eyestrain.

How can you protect your eyes from damaging light?
Experts recommend that people make use of apps that filter out the blue light. In fact, some devices have this feature built in, and users only need to activate it to make the most of it. The Night Shift feature on Apple devices, for example, allows you to have blue light filtered automatically at night, when it is more harmful and can interfere with sleep, or you can leave it on all day or tell it to turn on at sunset, for example.

Another good option is wearing glasses that can filter out the bad parts of blue light while letting the good ones come in. They’re highly affordable, and it’s not hard to find a comfortable pair for those extended periods in front of a screen.

People’s eyesight is also suffering from not spending enough time outdoors, and children are being hit especially hard. Indeed, a study by Ulster University found that the rate of being short-sighted among young people has doubled during the past 50 years, with nearly a quarter of British pre-teens suffering from myopia. In East Asian countries, that figure is 90 percent. A Chinese study revealed that just an extra 40 minutes outside per day is enough to reduce short-sightedness.

With the average kid aged 8 to 11 spending 4.5 hours per day in front of a screen – 6.5 hours for teens – it looks like this generation is on the road to some serious vision woes. When this age group reaches 50, there could be an unprecedented amount of blindness if precautions aren’t taken now – and it’s up to parents to protect their children’s vision.

--------------------------

...and look too on our topic:
Are you a slave to your phone? Happiness researchers explain how social media is making you unhappy:
Are you a slave to your phone? Happiness researchers explain how social media is making you unhappy

-------------------------

Eye Health Guide: on allaboutvision.com: Eye News: Visual flicker test may detect dementia more quickly and easily than MRIs and other tests.

Last edited:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I've been using blue light filters for a while now for desktop and mobile devices (f.lux and iblue in my case) and my eyes certainly feel better for it. No downside at all for me.

Can you link to i blue please, i tried to find it to give it a try but just get crappy search results. f.lux ... not compatible on my device :rolleyes:

Using Night Light on my devices and phone has saved me. Also helps me fall asleep.

Night Light ain't compatible either :(

My eyes have definitely got worse since i started using a computer and devices, i need glasses now but hardly ever wear them and yes, i know i should.

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
Can you link to i blue please, i tried to find it to give it a try but just get crappy search results. f.lux ... not compatible on my device :rolleyes:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.panagola.app.bluef&hl=en_GB

I use the beige filter colour (extreme left) and filter darkness between 20-30% when the sun has gone down. If you don't like any of the default colour filters you can create your own by adjusting the red, green and blue filters by tapping on the pen icon in the top right hand corner, but you are advised, obviously, to keep the blue filter low.

Last edited:

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Stop games with your health.

Weebarra wrote (Post #5):
My eyes have definitely got worse since i started using a computer and devices, i need glasses now but hardly ever wear them and yes, i know i should.
Stop using a computer and devices, go on holidays, in the mountains or an island, by the sea... the real healing holidays for your unique eyes!
Without electronics.
This is the healing message to you all.
I’m going away for a couple of days - ontheroad.jpg

Last edited:

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Stop games with your health.

Weebarra wrote (Post #5):

Stop using a computer and devices, go on holidays, in the mountains or an island, by the sea... the real healing holidays for your unique eyes!
Without electronics.
This is the healing message to you all.
View attachment 188352

Ok, i have taken your advice,
iu
once i finish my drink i will head to my next destination

iu
iu
please note, that i am wearing my glasses :ROFLMAO:

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
the problem is a little solved by decreasing the contrast at the entire screen, if you use darkgray themes with smoothed font letters based on middle white combined celestial pink and gray it will help even more to your eyes. you don't need so much white light over the entire background screen to see things.
For Example: with stylish you can do that, inside chrome, twite, youtube, netflix included all entire webs.
PrtScr capture.png

Prorootect

Level 69
Thread author
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Yes, to decrease the contrast you could do this in your monitor directly.

If not, use the Dark Mode add-on I use: Dark Mode (WebExtension) by Bernard: Dark Mode (WebExtension) – Add-ons for Firefox
Dark Mode is a Firefox addon that helps you quickly turn the screen (browser) to dark at night time.
Toolbar button serves as an ON|OFF switch which enables you to easily and quickly turn the extension ON or OFF. If you do not like the current dark theme (dark theme #1), please visit the options page and choose a different theme from the 20 options available...

This same Dark Mode on Chrome Web Store offered by Grephy: Dark Mode

What browser theme you have, please?
- my theme I downloaded in Nightly (Firefox) is called Mussala-856 meters by rositza, happy with: Search results for " rositza" – Add-ons for Firefox
1526670198073.png

Mussala-856 meters

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.