Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Trend Micro said:
The recent rise of mobile computing has further signaled the need for users to have a good reliable mobile browsers, such as Opera Mini, installed into their smartphones or any mobile device. We believe that it is for this reason that cybercriminals are currently using Opera Mobile as a disguise for mobile malware.

We encountered a website that seems to have been designed to be viewed on a mobile device. The site, which is in Russian, appears to look like the Opera site. It immediately informs visitors that they need to upgrade their version of Opera Mini. Below are screenshots of OperaMini.jar when installed in a mobile phone.

Below is a screenshot of the said site:

opera.jpg

All of the links in website lead to the download of the malicious file OperaMini.jar, which is now detected as J2ME_FAKEBROWS.A.
When executed into the device, it checks if the mobile phone uses certain service centers and then proceeds to sending text messages to premium numbers. It affects the mobile devices that support MIDlets — a Java program for embedded devices, specifically the Java 2 Micro Edition (J2ME).

[...]

Update as of October 3, 2011, 4:45 AM PST

We were able to find another mobile malware that arrives as a fake Opera Mini installer. This malware however targets Android users. Detected as ANDROIDOS_FAKEBROWS.A, this malware is a premium service abuser — it sends messages to a premium numbers, leaving affected users with unwanted charges.

As advised above, users are advised to install Opera Mini into their devices by directly accessing the Opera site, to avoid being victimized by such attacks.

Read more

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Really a must from the vendor's site, as these days some 3rd party sites could be trusted or not.

As Opera Mini was very popular by the users, then cybercriminals would take that chance.

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
To simply put it, this is rogue software for Android.

The site, which is in Russian, appears to look like the Opera site. It immediately informs visitors that they need to upgrade their version of Opera Mini. Below are screenshots of OperaMini.jar when installed in a mobile phone.

Have to admire their dedication and 'hard' work..... I do wonder how many Android users got tricked into installing this rogue app. ,because a 'browser app.' who's asking rights to 'Sends SMS's' should ring a bell..... :)

E

Exorcizm

Wow, Android will be soon to hit the virus market, especially becoming a business phone special that bosses and alike love!

It's quite worrying really...

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Oh, Opera is the browser that I am using at the moment.

E

Exorcizm

Updated*

Confirmed to be talking about your phone - therefore

"CHANGE BROSWERS" hahah :)

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Good thing I'm not using Android. :D
Although Android users can install an AV App for better protection.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
BoXX28 said:
Good thing I'm not using Android. :D
Although Android users can install an AV App for better protection.

Yeah having any kind of OS I think it is necessary to have AV to prevent anything happening.

E

Exorcizm

Every OS will have a way of being infected until someone comes up with a you beaute idea to stop that, if its ever possible (which i personally think atm it is)

So it's only a matter of time until new OS's get viruses.

I feel its sad that Phones now need Antiviruses... :(

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Exorcizm said:
Every OS will have a way of being infected until someone comes up with a you beaute idea to stop that, if its ever possible (which i personally think atm it is)

So it's only a matter of time until new OS's get viruses.

I feel its sad that Phones now need Antiviruses... :(

Agreed, it is a waste of the resources on phones because all you meant to do on a phone is to call and text (my favourite :heart: ) and the computer is for big things like games and stuff. Even a laptop would be better.

E

Exorcizm

I totally agree

Oh the good old days xD where'd they go :D

My SGS2 can handle an Antivirus EASY! :D HEHEHEH

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Exorcizm said:
I totally agree

Oh the good old days xD where'd they go :D

My SGS2 can handle an Antivirus EASY! :D HEHEHEH

Of course your phone would. :p

AyeAyeCaptain

Level 1
Feb 24, 2011
It was only a matter of time before the Android got more attention from malware writers etc.. same goes for Mac (how I love that one!). This is the new playground where money is to be made, both from providers and criminals. It's scary to think how the users lacked common sense when installed this rogue browser unaware about the warning signs! Is it not the job of the people in power (the phone providers/makers maybe?) to at least educate new users to use basic common sense.

This is just going to be the start of it, new ways to extort money from users will be happening more often, can be sure of that! And the providers won't give too much of a damn because they're gonna charge regardless saying user error and putting the blame on them.

E

Exorcizm

AyeAyeCaptain said:
It was only a matter of time before the Android got more attention from malware writers etc.. same goes for Mac (how I love that one!). This is the new playground where money is to be made, both from providers and criminals. It's scary to think how the users lacked common sense when installed this rogue browser unaware about the warning signs! Is it not the job of the people in power (the phone providers/makers maybe?) to at least educate new users to use basic common sense.

This is just going to be the start of it, new ways to extort money from users will be happening more often, can be sure of that! And the providers won't give too much of a damn because they're gonna charge regardless saying user error and putting the blame on them.

You have a good insight into the future i see :) I bet it comes in handy all the time ! :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.