Mobile Security Apps Perform Dismally against Spyware

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
At the top of the list were Avast Mobile Security, Norton Mobile Security
More info: http://www.techlicious.com/review/mobile-security-apps-perform-dismally-against-spyware/

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Hate to say this, but the Android ecosystem is riddled with problems and malware issues. And I'm glad, I didn't buy into an Android device. It's something to avoid.

However, I know a lot of other non-mobile devices use the Android platform, or so I've heard.

Sure you could take the approached learned by many Windows users, but it's just a lot of hassle / stressful.

Z

ZeroDay

Hate to say this, but the Android ecosystem is riddled with problems and malware issues. And I'm glad, I didn't buy into an Android device. It's something to avoid.

Spot on. Android is just to much hassle.

souhrid

Level 5
Jun 29, 2012
Earth said:

However, I know a lot of other non-mobile devices use the Android platform, or so I've heard.

Sure you could take the approached learned by many Windows users, but it's just a lot of hassle / stressful.
EARTH I can't agree with your opinion.May I ask you which OS is most targeted by cybercriminals??The answer is Windows and will you quit using Windows because of this reason??The next important thing is that what made cybercriminals to write malicious programs (for Windows or android or any other) is because of their popularity,they were the most widely used and were the most widely targeted.But I do agree with you that there may be many vulnerabilities in android OS since it's evolving and we can hope that all vulnerabilities would be fixed as soon as it's found out.
sorry for my language i'm not very good at English

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I use Windows, because it's the OS I was taught on and have been using it for a very long time (for myself). Now with Android, that's a relatively new OS platform, and I don't think it's worth venturing down that path.. again (again, meaning like I did with Windows). Also I don't mean to offend anyone, but I mean heck, some haven't managed to keep Windows malware-free. What hope do they have on Android. :)

So again a modern mobile OS, a user shouldn't be needing to worry about getting unwanted software on their mobile device, as theft is already a probable worry (to some, maybe? no.. yes?).

Look at WP and iOS, in comparison to Android, Google's Bouncer hasn't done a good job at preventing spyware etc on the Play marketplace. And I'm not saying WP and iOS are perfect either. Hello, it's 2013 not 1999.

Final thought, I said "It's something to avoid", because Android is popular and like you said it attracts cyber-criminals.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Trend was up the top as well. Seem to be doing quite well with their mobile version.

Dima007

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
Earth said:

Completely agree with you, stay away from them.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I bought a tablet awhile back that uses Android OS. It was riddled with all kinds of problems. First there is no way to update Android OS without doing a complete format. It supports Android Apps updates only. The tablet came with an older version of Android even though it was brand new (2013) which lacked many features available in the newer Android versions.

I eventually ended up buying a Windows Laptop, I don't have the patients to mess with this slow Android tablet which never keeps its settings and takes me twice as long to accomplish my tasks.

Thanks. :D

souhrid

Level 5
Jun 29, 2012
I don't understand why all you guys hate android this much???does it mean that because you hate android you can picture it as not good at all??But I agree that google was not good at removing spywares from playstore,this can be just avoided by commonsense,before you download a app you can check it's user reviews and vendors liability( as you do in a Windows OS)..
I can't believe this ,a guy here blames google for his tablet OS to be outdated you should blame the tablet manufacturer for this perhaps you should consider buying a nexus tab and you will be the first to receive updates(if you hate android that much next time try to find a genuine reason as others did).My friend had an old Nokia lumia where OS cannot be updated to latest can I blame Windows for this???

All android lovers how your support by giving kudos for post....

aztony

Level 9
Verified
Oct 15, 2013
Sounds to me like Android is experiencing much the same issue Windows did back in the hey day of the desktop pc era. Because Windows was/is the most widely used OS they were a target of cybercriminals. Android is also widely used, if am not mistaken, 2nd in popularity to the iphone.

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
Earth said:

Which mobile OS are you using Earth?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Windows Phone 8, but I rarely use it except for as an MP3 player and Weather (lol). I mostly use Nokia Music for free offline music, played through some speakers - as I am doing now.

What do you use?

Edit:

Either way, iOS has less malware even though it's popular and widely used. Android is an easier target, because of it's open nature(?) - I suppose, because MS and Apple have locked down the ecosystem for iOS and WP8.

aztony said:
Sounds to me like Android is experiencing much the same issue Windows did back in the hey day of the desktop pc era. Because Windows was/is the most widely used OS they were a target of cybercriminals. Android is also widely used, if am not mistaken, 2nd in popularity to the iphone.

Edit 2: I don't know the technical site of Android, but I understand that it does still use sandboxes as does iOS and WP8 - correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks :D

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
I am using Windows phone 8 also. :) A Nokia Lumia 620.

Speaking of music I bought an Xbox music subscription. A very cool service you should check it out.

Hopefully Nokia will push out Windows phone 8 update 3 soon.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have tried the Xbox Music (called Music on Windows 8.1), though the free subscription is a good enough alternate to Spotify.

Overall, it's a win-win situation:
WP8 = Nokia Music (free) = Free music on the go
W8.1 = Xbox Music (free) = Free music at the home

Our phones in comparison:
http://www.nokia.com/global/products/compare/?action=productcompareaction&products=2446140-2019524

Yeah, waiting the update, October release I think?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.