Monetization with SDKs that uses IPs

degeran

Thread author
Feb 15, 2019
First of all - sorry, was not sure if should post this in General Security, or more in to Android, so chose this one.

For background of my question/discussion would like to add some information to this. Its purely based on article i have read few days ago, and some backlash i have noticed yesterday/today for one company that is allowing devs to add SDK for monetization, that uses peoples IPs not for data collection, but for their services. Backlash was based on that it should be illegal or that its creating a botnet or its a malware. But technically, SDKs can use that information, as its still considered public info by all the main publishers as Google Play Store or Apple App Store (to clarify: public information that SDK can gather - device type, device version, screen size, mobile operator, network type, CPU core number, RAM, ROM, country, IP address). Also, most of the apps gather that information for their personal researches about their users.

So how come monetization while using SDK that uses your IP address is considered malicious?
Personally, i view it as one of better monetization options, as it doesnt spam user with useless videos or ads, so from user side it should be more convenient.
Would really like to hear some opinions on this, as it seems like a pretty interesting topic, but it has some sensitive spots.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.