oldschool

Level 82
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Almost a third of North Americans accessed the Dark Web daily in 2019

Despite the Dark Web's mostly negative connotation, new research from PreciseSecurity.com has revealed that over 30 percent of North Americans used it regularly during 2019.

Last year saw an increasing number of people beginning to use the Dark Web as a means of keeping their online activity hidden from governments and telecoms.

The Dark Web itself is made up of websites on the internet that cannot be found through traditional search engines. Instead users must rely on specific software such as the Tor browser, configurations or authorization to access these sites.

PreciseSecurity.com's 2019 survey show that North America is the leading region when it comes to daily usage of the Dark Web. The firm's findings revealed that 26 percent of North Americans admitted to using the Dark Web daily while another seven percent accessed it at least once a week.

Dark Web usage
North American may have taken the top spot in terms of Dark Web usage but Latin America was not far behind at second on PreciseSecurity.com's list with 21 percent of respondents saying they visit the deep net daily while thirteen percent said they did so weekly. Europe took third place with 17 percent of citizens utilizing the Dark Web daily and additional 11 percent accessing it at least once a week.

The 2019 survey showed that online anonymity was by far the most common reason for users to access the Dark Web. Almost 40 percent of respondents used it during the last year to stay anonymous online and 26 percent said they used it to retrieve content unavailable in their location despite the fact that using a VPN would be far easier.

Nearly 25 percent of North Americans used the Dark Web to ensure their privacy from foreign governments and another 38 percent used it to protect their privacy from internet companies.

Of those surveyed who don't use Tor or access the Dark Web, almost 50 percent of respondents globally stated that they didn't because they don't know how to while 45 percent said they had no reason for doing so.

Source More and more Americans are using the Dark Web

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I just can't believe that a third of Americans even know how to use the dark web.
Especially this line: "Nearly 25 percent of North Americans used the Dark Web to ensure their privacy from foreign governments"
Sorry, I just can't believe a quarter of the American population is so concerned about foreign governments spying on them. That's clinical paranoia.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I think, that the article merely reports the number of users, who use TOR/VPN, not dark web per say. Considering NSA and such, that would not be so surprising. Most people say, that they have nothing to hide, but almost everyone does and many people were imprisoned or fired for their leisure activities or for comments. To be honest, I have tried to access dark/deep web, but always failed. Good thing, I can buy incense on ebay. :LOL:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
If I use Tor, just on a whim. :)
I am just making firewall rules for TOR and I have not realized till now, it does not even use system DNS. Well obviously, but it never occured to me. :oops:
I am trying to limit IP ranges to improve privacy a bit, but they change with every session, if anyone has any idea, please PM. Thanks.
Code:
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="TOR Firefox TCP" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteip=127.0.0.1 remoteport=1025-65535 program="Z:\Desktop\Tor Browser\Browser\firefox.exe"
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="TOR TCP" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteport=1025-65535 program="Z:\Desktop\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Tor\tor.exe"

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I am just making firewall rules for TOR and I have not realized till now, it does not even use system DNS. Well obviously, but it never occured to me. :oops:
I am trying to limit IP ranges to improve privacy a bit, but they change with every session, if anyone has any idea, please PM. Thanks.
Code:
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="TOR Firefox TCP" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteip=127.0.0.1 remoteport=1025-65535 program="Z:\Desktop\Tor Browser\Browser\firefox.exe"
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="TOR TCP" dir=out action=allow protocol=TCP remoteport=1025-65535 program="Z:\Desktop\Tor Browser\Browser\TorBrowser\Tor\tor.exe"
I am nothing like advanced , but I think what you want is difficult, precisely because of what has been said that Tor constantly changes.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I think, that the article merely reports the number of users, who use TOR/VPN, not dark web per say. Considering NSA and such, that would not be so surprising. Most people say, that they have nothing to hide, but almost everyone does and many people were imprisoned or fired for their leisure activities or for comments. To be honest, I have tried to access dark/deep web, but always failed. Good thing, I can buy incense on ebay. :LOL:

That is what I think, people are growing leery and weary of google, facebook and other data leeches and the feeling someone is always looking over their shoulder so are just using Tor for general browsing, more than anything else.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

That is what I think, people are growing leery and weary of google, facebook and other data leeches and the feeling someone is always looking over their shoulder so are just using Tor for general browsing, more than anything else.
I don't think it is the main reason . Most average joes don't care much orceare even aware about being observed by Google or Facebook. They probably get attracted by the feeling of being anonymous like in the spies or hackers movies, or just want hide their tracks while doing shady stuff.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
One has to go to the dark web to view Space Alien pron.... utilizing 100% actual and real space aliens.

1578704479599.png

Shhhhh.......... don't tell anybody.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Code:
TOR does not use system DNS. The DNS queries are handled by the exit nodes themselves. According to the study below about 40% of the exit nodes use Google DNS. The rest being handled by ISP or custom dns by the exit nodes

Last edited:

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
How to run into the spider-web...

LOL the NSA and CIA are celebrating...
Ironically this is the case even for law abiding citizens...The dark web is not what it used to be! ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.