Last updated
Jan 13, 2021
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time security
* Ziggo Safe Online by F-Secure
* Malwarebytes WFC.
* Neushield Data Sentinel
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
* Simple Windows Hardening. ( Basic recommended settings. )
* O&O ShutUp10 (recommended settings)
* VeraCrypt
Periodic malware scanners
Periodic manual scan by Ziggo Safe Online by F-Secure - On demand scanners: Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool - EEK
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
* Microsoft Chromium Edge ( Main )
* Firefox
Secure DNS
NextDNS by using YogaDNS.
Desktop VPN
None
Password manager
Bitwarden
Maintenance tools
* Storage Sense
* Wise Disk Cleaner
* PrivaZer ( Once a week. )
* Process Explorer
* O&O Defrag Pro
File and Photo backup
Onedrive
System recovery
EaseUS Todo Backup Free
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
* CPU: Intel Core i5 @ 3.70GHz
* Motherboard: Z370-A PRO (MS-7B48) Micro-Star International Co, Ltd
* Ram: 16 GB DDR4
* Storage: SanDisk SD9SN8W256G (SSD) + 1TB HDD + External 5 TB WD Elements 25A3 USB Device
* Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
* Soundcard: NVIDIA High Definition Audio / Realtek High Definition Audio / NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Well Neushield Data Sentinel does more then just protect against ransomware. ( Even the free version. )

Yes I have seen the features, but I do not see anything special about it. You are using Kaspersky and it is great. I would just use One Drive and make regular backups.

I guess we all have our preferred methods. :)

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Okay, I saw Ziggo Safe Online by F-Secure being mentioned in Gandalf_The_Greys security thread, so I looked around on the net for more information about F-Secure Safe. ( Because that is what it is, just re-branded. ) And as of this afternoon I installed Ziggo Safe Online by F-Secure and I will use it for a while to see how I like it.

Their is no particular reason why I switched from KSC Free to Ziggo Safe Online by F-Secure. I am extremely happy with KSC Free, I just want to try out Ziggo Safe Online for a while. :)

But I have a question:

Since I do not see a scan option for downloaded files in the context menu, I assume it is safe to say that Ziggo Safe Online by F-Secure auto scans everything that is downloaded?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Okay, I saw Ziggo Safe Online by F-Secure being mentioned in Gandalf_The_Greys security thread, so I looked around on the net for more information about F-Secure Safe. ( Because that is what it is, just re-branded. ) And as of this afternoon I installed Ziggo Safe Online by F-Secure and I will use it for a while to see how I like it.

Their is no particular reason why I switched from KSC Free to Ziggo Safe Online by F-Secure. I am extremely happy with KSC Free, I just want to try out Ziggo Safe Online for a while. :)

But I have a question:

Since I do not see a scan option for downloaded files in the context menu, I assume it is safe to say that Ziggo Safe Online by F-Secure auto scans everything that is downloaded?
F-Secure automatically scans everything that is downloaded, but there is also a scan for viruses (Scannen op virussen in Dutch) option in the context menu.

In my case 16 downloads scanned:
Schermafbeelding 2021-05-02 171744.png Scan for viruses.png

Last edited:

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
F-Secure automatically scans everything that is downloaded, but there is also a scan for viruses (Scannen op virussen in Dutch) option in the context menu.

In my case 16 downloads scanned:
View attachment 257668 View attachment 257669

Thank you very much, I did not see that at first, but now I did. It was directly below the Malwarebytes context scan so I must have thought it belonged to Malwarebytes. :oops:

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
You can use Bitlocker in Home too, but only over command line which isn't a big deal as this is only needed once.

here are the bitlocker setup and commands you may find useful:

TPM
search tpm.msc and right click run as admin
verify tpm status is ready for use
==================================================

to check current status:
manage-bde -status

Add TPM key protector for each partition:
manage-bde -protectors -add c: -tpm
manage-bde -protectors -add d: -tpm

Add Recovery password in case i need to decrypt the partitions on another computer:
manage-bde -protectors -add c: -rp
manage-bde -protectors -add d: -rp

save recovery password:
manage-bde -protectors -get c:
manage-bde -protectors -get d:

Turn Bitlocker On with AES256 key and used space only encryption
manage-bde -on c: -em AES256 -used
manage-bde -on d: -em AES256 -used

To turn off:
manage-bde -off c:
manage-bde -off d:

In case of emergency, to unlock the drive using the recovery password:
manage-bde –unlock d: -recoverypassword 111111-222222-333333-444444-555555-666666-777777-888888

To pause protection, for example to update bios
manage-bde -protectors -disable c: -RebootCount 0
and then to re-enable:
manage-bde -protectors -enable c:

You can use values 0 through 15, while zero suspends BitLocker until you resume the protection manually.

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I installed YogaDNS, and set it to use NextDNS. The weird thing is that I tried to install YogaDNS a while ago, and got the warning that it could not connect without a internet connection. ( Or something along those lines. ) And now it works, so I guess that some how KSC Free blocked something that prevented YogaDNS form working properly. And switching to Ziggo Safe Online from F-Secure some how allowed me to start using YogaDNS and set it to use NextDNS.

I do have a question for those of you who use NextDNS through YogaDNS. Before, I could also not install the program from NextDNS so I had to set the DNS manually for IPv4 and IPv6. ( Come to think of it that could also have been because of KSC Free some how. ) But now that NextDNS is set in YogaDNS, can I set the DNS Server addresses for IPv4 and IPv6 to be applied automatically, ( Default Windows setting. ) or do I have to keep them at the manual set NextDNS server addresses?

I hope I explained it all correctly, because I have been known to explain certain things chaotically at times. :)

Reactions: harlan4096

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I removed Brave, ( :( ) it had a odd problem I could not solve. It had moments where it worked perfectly, and then there where moments where it did not. When it did show odd behaviour, I could go to another website and then that new website would flicker like crazy. I would see parts of the previous website, and I would have to move my mouse like crazy all over the page to get rid of that odd behaviour. I tried uninstalling Brave a few times and then reinstalling it, but it never solved the problem. Scanning with KSC Free ( When I was using it. ) and with Malwarebytes and EEK never showed a problem so I have no idea why Brave had this problem for me. :unsure:

So Yesterday I finally decided to remove Brave as a secondary Browser, and replaced it with Firefox at the moment. So far I installed these extensions in Firefox ...

* Adguard
* Bitwarden
* LocalCDN
* Browsing Protection by F-Secure ( Ziggo Safe online kept warning me to install it. )

I am using NextDNS through YogaDNS so ads get blocked but not on Youtube, so that is why I installed Adguard in Firefox. In the past I used uBlock Origin, and although I think it is still a great extension, I picked Adguard this time. Reason for that is because some how uBlock Origin made it impossible for me to log in on this site.

Adguard does not give me that problem. :)

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
For some freaky reason the flags I had set where reset to default ... probably during the last update for Edge? I hope I have set all the ones I had set before, either way these are the ones I have set at the moment.

Im2pA7m.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 85179
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

For some freaky reason the flags I had set where reset to default ... probably during the last update for Edge? I hope I have set all the ones I had set before, either way these are the ones I have set at the moment.

Im2pA7m.jpg
That's why the warning on this Edge site exists.

I run my Edge since some months already without any flags.

Reactions: blackice

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Changed my on demand scanners from "Eset Online Scanner + Emsisoft Emergency Scanner" to "Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool + EEK".

EOS is good in my opinion, but ending the program is lengthy compared to other on demand scanners.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.