App Review Most controversial files on VirusTotal

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Fantastic video guide! The information you share is really great as it normally takes a pretty long time when self-learning.

Hope you don't mind a small video creation tip. Try get yourself a better microphone. Your voice is not really an issue as your really easy to understand, it's the minor background " echo ". With another microphone then the built-in that I suspect you use, please correct me if I'm wrong, your videos will be even better. (y)

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
Fantastic video guide! The information you share is really great as it normally takes a pretty long time when self-learning.

Hope you don't mind a small video creation tip. Try get yourself a better microphone. Your voice is not really an issue as your really easy to understand, it's the minor background " echo ". With another microphone then the built-in that I suspect you use, please correct me if I'm wrong, your videos will be even better. (y)
I didn't notice any echo with the microphone. It's the acoustics in the small room, the sound is bouncing off the walls.

I am answering some questions about VirusTotal:
  • What files are controversial on VirusTotal and why?
  • What is the (accidentally) most uploaded file?
  • Why are there so many time stamps? What do they mean?
  • What do I use all those hashes for?
Referenced ssdeep article: Fuzzy Hashing — ssdeep

Fantastic! Thanks much.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I didn't notice any echo with the microphone. It's the acoustics in the small room, the sound is bouncing off the walls.
Exactly my point, and a simple solution is getting another microphone then a built-in as those 9 cases out of 10 can not receive the sound correct and then one end up with a recorded sound like this. Bounce = echo.
Just turn it into a quiet room with foam on the walls if possible.
I partially agree, but more than likely not possible because he got a kid and can't lock himself away in another room.

struppigel

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
lol yea I understand but I did say OR. Just turn it into a quiet room with foam on the walls if possible.
That's not possible either. Not at the moment at least.
I think one or two years forward I will be moving, then I might have a proper room for that.

@upnorth I have a proper mic. That's not the issue. I cannot exclude that I am using it wrong, though, because I don't hear if it is bad.
And yeah, my son doesn't like to be alone. He always checks on me when I am in another room.

@oldschool I am glad you learnt something from it :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.