Battle Most Gaming friendly AV?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well Windows Defender/antimalware service exe is officially in la garbage after pushing my 6700K CPU to 99% every time I open Chrome or change tabs. No gpedit could change that, what the h--. Firefox was ditched too, due to periodic "firefox exe was blocked from accessing graphics hardware" crashes and spams of WHEA loggers in event viewer. I can't get the latest GPU drivers right now due to corruption/memory leak, screen artifacts at startup and dragging boot/shutdown. :mad: GPU is fine to diagnostics. Windows Defender: take it or leave it. For sure! Even with decent hardware in this instance!

So, demoing F-Secure Safe which so far, is really pleasant and unobtrusive on here, and gaming mode is OFF. Idle means idle--0% cpu, disk and gpu. No impact I could see on startup, shutdown and especially Chrome. Anyone else share this opinion? ESET is a bit expensive.....

Edit: Wow, I'm reading this, very drama-filled, sorry.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Cylance w/Voodooshield(or OSA)

or

Thor Vigilance

Either of those have a net-zero impact on all gaming activities whereas I have found almost all other AV's to have nuances that impact gaming. Interestingly, you can run all three together and have a near-zero impact on gaming compared to almost all other suites... That's how much of a pig or disruption most suites are.

Thor Vigilance is probably more than enough alone, especially with it's sandbox emulation and stuff. But Cylance you should pair it with VS or OSA to be totally protected. Neither impact gaming at all.

My favorite for absolute protection, near-zero weight and no gaming impact is; Cylance+Thor Home Premium+VoodooShield, sitting behind a Gryphon Router with ESET on it.. I really don't even think it's possible to get infected under such a protection blanket, but best of all that combo feels half as light as all of the other suites.

Last edited by a moderator:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
WD in AV-Comparative indicates that it is very heavy

ZJELsdN.png

although recently another user did a free kaspersky bechmark vs WD and there wasn't much difference... Also in AV-TEST the WD performance score is good.

It's a bit frustrating to find different results on each site...

LOL, that is a bs test. The PC Security channel video about WD heavy is another bs test as well. I know a lot of gamers use WD, and they never have any performance issue with WD.

Reactions: stefanos

Thirio

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
For strictly gaming VoodooShield works well on it's own. Usually what can't run, can't harm your computer, so why bother complicating things with an AV that will get carried by VS? Windows Defender and VoodooShield should be more than enough, and if WD is bothering you then you can disable it while gaming and still be protected by VS in the background. Most likely you won't get infected while running a game, on Steam for example, so any AV you decide to use will just be slowing you down. Just don't disable the firewall. That needs to be on all the time.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
WD in AV-Comparative indicates that it is very heavy

although recently another user did a free kaspersky bechmark vs WD and there wasn't much difference... Also in AV-TEST the WD performance score is good.

It's a bit frustrating to find different results on each site...
If it helps this graph is my personal experience. Emsisoft has become very heavy, Kaspersky is lighter and Eset is so light that you double check if it's running at all! But personally Trend Micro is a nightmare for gaming. Way too much CPU usage.

I cannot recommend Eset enough. The one thing I don't like about it is that you need a degree in computer science to understand all the settings. Eset really lets you tweak everything if you understand it.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I cannot recommend Eset enough. The one thing I don't like about it is that you need a degree in computer science to understand all the settings. Eset really lets you tweak everything if you understand it.
ESET at defaults offers decent protection. One thing I learnt here at MT is the user is the weakest link. A signature based AV is always a third layer of defense. First and foremost is the user. The second layer of defense is a properly configured back-up. Then comes the AV.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

ESET at defaults offers decent protection. One thing I learnt here at MT is the user is the weakest link. A signature based AV is always a third layer of defense. First and foremost is the user. The second layer of defense is a properly configured back-up. Then comes the AV.
Spot on!(y)

Funny thing is a lot of people, even those in security forums see it backwards 1. AV 2.Backup and 3. User

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.