Battle Most user-friendly free antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
What is the most user-friendly free antivirus that you have ever tried?

I'm talking about requires very little or no maintenance/tweaking to be effective blocking common malware threats.

This is not poll to talk about detection rates, how light the products are compared to others. etc. Just user-friendliness is the only concern in this poll.

I know we have many other threads and polls that talks about other issues but none talk about the most user-friendly antivirus.

I believe this is the most important concern for many users, if a product isn't user-friendly then no matter how good the detection rate is or how good the protections features are, it will not benefit the user.

Note: The is a limit of 10 options, if none of the options apply please post it.

Enjoy!!:D

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Umbra Corp. said:
same, ESET = HIPS

Also it is the OP's choice to not include them , so just keep going.

Nahhhh,I did not said that OP should use ESS or not. I just said that ESS have great eye-candy interface and so it not that user-non-friendly

P

Plexx

Payback said:
Nahhhh,I did not said that OP should use ESS or not. I just said that ESS have great eye-candy interface and so it not that user-non-friendly

Only way ESET is not so user friendly is in the options settings section specially HIPS. Its actual GUI is user friendly

If we are talking about components being user friendly, ESET HIPS and just like any other HIPS solution is far from being user friendly. Have you tried configuring ESET HIPS?

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Biozfear said:
Payback said:

Only way ESET is not so user friendly is in the options settings section specially HIPS. Its actual GUI is user friendly

If we are talking about components being user friendly, ESET HIPS and just like any other HIPS solution is far from being user friendly. Have you tried configuring ESET HIPS?

Yes,it is actually easy for me and most of other advanced users. But I switched to KIS (if you have seen my post in this section "Eset smart security final vs Kaspersky IS final")

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Biozfear said:
Payback said:

Eset "Nod32" used to be one of the most user-friendly products but now since so many features have be added it is becoming more of an advanced security product. Better protection features but far less user-friendly.

Anyway this poll is only about free antivirus products.

So far I'm shocked at the number of votes for Avast. Avast would be my pick for the best free antivirus but is it really as user friendly as MSE, Panda Cloud and FortiClient Lite?

Enjoy!!:D

P

Plexx

Forticlient Lite still managed to score 2 votes. It is also a simplistic style UI.

avast! version 4 was not that UI friendly tho but it contained a feature it has been missed for many users: option to change skins.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Payback said:
Somebody,please lock the topic...no OP response at all. We're arguing for nothing

Sorry we do NOT lock topics that are still active and receiving replies, we are not arguing we are having open discussions. If you some members don't agree with what is being brought up in discussion on this topic then they can join other topics and ignore this topic.

Thanks.:D

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
Littlebits said:
Payback said:
Somebody,please lock the topic...no OP response at all. We're arguing for nothing

Sorry we do NOT lock topics that are still active and receiving replies, we are not arguing we are having open discussions. If you some members don't agree with what is being brought up in discussion on this topic then they can join other topics and ignore this topic.

Thanks.:D

No,I am saying that,you are not replying at all. So I thought you are busy and forgot this topic,that is why I said so...:p

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Payback said:
No,I am saying that,you are not replying at all. So I thought you are busy and forgot this topic,that is why I said so...:p

People, have a life. They don't have to stay online all day and watch this thread to see if there any replies. Just let people reply at their own pace.

aquarius

Verified
Jan 15, 2013
Windows 7 -> MSE for sure, install it & forget it.
(Windows 8 -> Windows Defender)
Almost no settings, reasonable real time and on demand detection rates / false alarms.

avira! AV free out of the box with no tweaks and fine tuning is acceptable also.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Littlebits said:
So far I'm shocked at the number of votes for Avast.

I think some people are voting for their favorite AV instead of the one that they perceive as the most friendly.

My vote goes for MSE, it might not be the best AV but it works great pairing it with Sandboxie. I thnk it is the most friendly AV because it doesnt wreck computers with bad updates or upgrades like other antiviruses do sometimes.

I got a couple of friends that usually when I sit with them in front of their computer, their AV is either disabled or got something not working as it should. That stopped the day that I installed MSE in their PC. Now, their AV is always working.

Bo

Payback

Verified
Jan 7, 2013
bo.elam said:
Littlebits said:
So far I'm shocked at the number of votes for Avast.

I think some people are voting for their favorite AV instead of the one that they perceive as the most friendly.

My vote goes for MSE, it might not be the best AV but it works great pairing it with Sandboxie. I thnk it is the most friendly AV because it doesnt wreck computers with bad updates or upgrades like other antiviruses do sometimes.

I got a couple of friends that usually when I sit with them in front of their computer, their AV is either disabled or got something not working as it should. That stopped the day that I installed MSE in their PC. Now, their AV is always working.

Bo

I have not used MSE from a long time,so sorry if my information is wrong :

But,MSE sucked hard when I tried to test it. With a junk-PC,I tried to clean the infections that I downloaded,but my OC instead displayed me "Windows cannot find System 32" error...I immediately uninstalled MSE and installed CIS (A long time ago)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.