Battle Most user-friendly free antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
What is the most user-friendly free antivirus that you have ever tried?

I'm talking about requires very little or no maintenance/tweaking to be effective blocking common malware threats.

This is not poll to talk about detection rates, how light the products are compared to others. etc. Just user-friendliness is the only concern in this poll.

I know we have many other threads and polls that talks about other issues but none talk about the most user-friendly antivirus.

I believe this is the most important concern for many users, if a product isn't user-friendly then no matter how good the detection rate is or how good the protections features are, it will not benefit the user.

Note: The is a limit of 10 options, if none of the options apply please post it.

Enjoy!!:D

Coffeeman

Level 3
Verified
Nov 24, 2012
Stranger said:
Coffeeman said:
I have voted for avast! because after using MSE who seemed childish not user friendly, avast! is very user friendly.

Can you please describe?
I'm sorry if I was misunderstood. All I was saying is that MSE, IMO is not user friendly because it's interface seems childish/dull to me. "S.E is monitoring ...bla bla" I think that avast! is more user friendly to me.
Have a nice day/night!:)

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
I voted MSE for the reasons previously mentioned.

Second place would be Avast!. I always need to re-configure Avast's out of the box settings and disable the 'Annoying' voice alerts.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Coffeeman said:
I'm sorry if I was misunderstood. All I was saying is that MSE, IMO is not user friendly because it's interface seems childish/dull to me. "S.E is monitoring ...bla bla" I think that avast! is more user friendly to me.

How often is the average Joe going to be opening up the GUI to change settings anyway? Very rarely or never. The most important thing to me is how the product alerts the user. It needs to be simple and to the point, with minimal user interaction.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Coffeeman said:
I have voted for avast! because after using MSE who seemed childish not user friendly, avast! is very user friendly.

Coffeeman said:

10onuw8.gif

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Tom172 said:
I voted MSE for the reasons previously mentioned.

Second place would be Avast!. I always need to re-configure Avast's out of the box settings and disable the 'Annoying' voice alerts.

I agree that the voice alerts in Avast are very annoying but that is simple enough to explain on how to disable or change if you are installing it on someones machine.Who knows some home users might actually think the voice alerts are nice.....:D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
White Nobster said:
I agree that the voice alerts in Avast are very annoying but that is simple enough to explain on how to disable or change if you are installing it on someones machine.Who knows some home users might actually think the voice alerts are nice.....:D

Well, I heard that you can change the voice to an Aussie accent and a British accent, could be wrong though.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Tom172 said:
Coffeeman said:

How often is the average Joe going to be opening up the GUI to change settings anyway? Very rarely or never. The most important thing to me is how the product alerts the user. It needs to be simple and to the point, with minimal user interaction.

I do agree, it is more than just the GUI that makes a product user-friendly. Of coarse the GUI is important as well. Most users need a childish GUI, since if they were in pc learning school they would be at pre-school level of learning when it comes to PC security. It probably would hurt if MSE added some Disney characters on the GUI to help users learn.

"Microsoft Security Essential Micky Mouse Edition" for example; animated with talking voice to help you learn. ;)

Thanks.:D

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
White Nobster said:
I agree that the voice alerts in Avast are very annoying but that is simple enough to explain on how to disable or change if you are installing it on someones machine.Who knows some home users might actually think the voice alerts are nice.....

Introduce me to someone who does, I'd love to meet him/her :)

McLovin said:
Well, I heard that you can change the voice to an Aussie accent and a British accent, could be wrong though.

Indeed you can. Here's the full collection: http://www.avast.com/fun

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
Littlebits said:
I do agree, it is more than just the GUI that makes a product user-friendly. Of coarse the GUI is important as well. Most users need a childish GUI, since if they were in pc learning school they would be at pre-school level of learning when it comes to PC security. It probably would hurt if MSE added some Disney characters on the GUI to help users learn.

"Microsoft Security Essential Micky Mouse Edition" for example; animated with talking voice to help you learn. ;)

Thanks.:D

Now waiting for MrXidus do one of his excellent GUI mockups of this idea.

Thanks for the laugh Littlebits ;)

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Tom172 said:
Indeed you can. Here's the full collection: http://www.avast.com/fun

Thanks for that. :D Only thing is that the Aussie one sounds nothing like an Aussie. :-/

Viking

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 2, 2011
Thanks for that. :D Only thing is that the Aussie one sounds nothing like an Aussie. :-/
[/quote]

Sounds more like an English Pom than an Aussie!

I love the Cockney English accent!

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
@Coffeeman, @Littlebits, @Tom172

I want to hear honest opinions about it, really, I'm ready for a laugh either it be negative or good. I had a laugh making it that's for sure. Cheers!

D

Deleted member 178

MrXidus said:
I want to hear honest opinions about it, really, I'm ready for a laugh either it be negative or good. I had a laugh making it that's for sure. Cheers!

:lolz: for CM Punk :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
MrXidus said:
@Coffeeman, @Littlebits, @Tom172

You should send this to Microsoft, they might actually like the idea.

Great job :bravo: , I can't stop laughing. :lol:

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Can you make Tom and Jerry edition? :D :p

Jerry found and was caught. Tom is moving it to quarantine (dish) and it will be deleted after few hours (digestion). :p

User friendliness in order (my opinion):
1. MSE: easiest installation process, very easy to use. Least false positive amount.
2. Avast: Easy installation, and easy to operate, almost like install and forget. But my friends who have it find the sandbox feature confusing.
3. Avira: Installation can be confusing. It requires user interaction when there is detection.
4. AVG: Easy installation, user interaction required when there is detection. Highest false positive amount between all of these.

Tom172

Level 1
Feb 11, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:

Jerry found and was caught. Tom is moving it to quarantine (dish) and it will be deleted after few hours (digestion). :p

1. MSE: easiest installation process, very easy to use. Least false positive amount.
2. Avast: Easy installation, and easy to operate, almost like install and forget. But my friends who have it find the sandbox feature confusing.
3. Avira: Installation can be confusing. It requires user interaction when there is detection.
4. AVG: Easy installation, user interaction required when there is detection. Highest false positive amount between all of these.

Tom And Jerry Edition? Now that's just plain ridiculous...

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Tom172 said:
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:

Tom And Jerry Edition? Now that's just plain ridiculous...

Tom and Jerry sounds good but it would be too far advanced for most users. They need preschool characters like Sesame Street, Barney, Reading Rainbow, Blue’s Clues, Teletubbies, Pee Wee’s Playhouse, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.