Moving on from OA in Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Shortly after I realised OA was more powerful in Windows 7 than Privatefirewall (example: OA beats PF vs. this Anti-Keylogger Tester.

However, I found out that because of core changes in Windows 8, OA is not able to offer the same level of protection in the new OS. Last news I know of is about a year old with a staff member saying it was being worked on, but wasn't a priority.

I'm currently test-driving ESET IS, and I'm quite satisfied with it, except I know its HIPS isn't very good. So what is the strongest, fully Windows 8 compliant HIPS there is?

One thing I found interesting about OA and the behavior of some programs is that many legitimate programs seem to act as keyloggers, even though this is not necessary for their functioning, that is, if you block the request when OA alerts you, the program just keeps working fine, both screen and keyboard input. I'm still wondering why that happens.

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
Outpost... that might be it. Has anyone put it against the anti-keylogger tester I mentioned?

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
So I tested Outpost Pro 9.1 versus the anti-keylogger test. Fail.
Bitdefender IS failed too.

SpyShelter Premium worked ok! Passed on all tests! I'm now test driving it side-by-side with Privatefirewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.