Mozilla Firefox 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Thread author
Apr 22, 2011
Mozilla Delivers New Version of Firefox – First Web Browser to Support Do Not Track on Multiple Platforms
Mozilla, a global, nonprofit organization dedicated to making the Web better, today released a new version of Mozilla Firefox for Windows, Mac, Linux and Android. The new version of Firefox comes on the heels of the wildly successful release of Firefox 4, which had more than 200 million downloads on Windows, Mac and Linux and millions of downloads in the Android Market.

G

Guest28

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but i have not got the final update on my end.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
You can use it, just go into options -> Advanced and uncheck "Use Hardware Acceleration When Available".

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well even they released FF5 through FTP server I liked to update it through the updater itself.

G

Guest28

umbrapolaris yes even the drop down *about Firefox* you cant get the update but this is normal it's just released and the servers are flooded.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
Shadow Death said:
You can use it, just go into options -> Advanced and uncheck "Use Hardware Acceleration When Available".

Wouldn't that make it slower?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The latest version of Firefox includes more than 1,000 improvements and performance enhancements that make it easier to discover and use all of the innovative features in Firefox.
This is the nice way for saying : "We don;t have any big feature for version 5" or I've missed something in the changelog ?:p
Aslo Symantec did it again ... http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-Toolbar-for-Firefox-5/td-p/475704 no toolbar ready for Firefox 5.
I wonder how they will manage to keep up with Chrome in the 2012 version if they have this problems with the Firefox

G

Guest28

Also avast 6.0 web rep is not compatible with v5 of Firefox. Hopefully avast will release it before Symantec does lol.

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
Agreed Jack, rapid release cycles are dumb and really setback a lot of computers. Companies will make their products support FF 5 then 3 months later FF 6 is probably going to be released. Like what's the point in that? Anyway it doesn't look like FF 5 has arrived in the main PPA for Ubuntu. So I guess I'll wait.

Linuxfever

Jan 11, 2011
TKFlight said:
Agreed Jack, rapid release cycles are dumb and really setback a lot of computers. Companies will make their products support FF 5 then 3 months later FF 6 is probably going to be released. Like what's the point in that? Anyway it doesn't look like FF 5 has arrived in the main PPA for Ubuntu. So I guess I'll wait.
Mozilla,Google,Opera etc. have special webpages just for the developers so for example Symantec can start working on the support for Firefox 6 since Mozilla released all the notes and will keep them up-to-date.
The fact that this companies weren't ready when a major browser was updated was exclusively their fault.
Here you go Symantec : https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Firefox_6_for_developers :) just be ready when Firefox 6 will be launched.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
The release notes list the following new features and changes:

• Added support for CSS animations
  • The Do-Not-Track header preference has been moved to increase discoverability
  • Improved canvas, JavaScript, memory, and networking performance
  • Improved standards support for HTML5, XHR, MathML, SMIL, and canvas
  • Improved spell checking for some locales
  • Improved desktop environment integration for Linux users
  • WebGL content can no longer load cross-domain textures
  • Background tabs have setTimeout and setInterval clamped to 1000ms to improve performance
  • The Firefox development channel switcher introduced in previous Firefox Beta updates has been removed

Most of them are under the hood changes that are very hard to notice at a first look..maybe in time the Firefox user will notice all the new performance tweaks.
The bug list is also really impressive........never seen one that long. :p

TKFlight

May 19, 2011
Just updated I got the PPA from launchpad, now I have to go update my laptop.

https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/firefox-next

G

Guest28

I cloud not wait for the update to come automatically so i just force installed it via the main web site.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
Companies do not make products to run on Firefox anymore. Firefox now uses a plugin Wrapper which it has for several builds now. >.> That's like saying, "I built this monstrous rig to run Solitaire".

The point of a rapid release program is to get new features to the users faster. We had to wait the good part of 6+ months to get the finalized build of Firefox 4 which implemented features that others were already pushing out the door. The whole idea is to make a browser that supports the NOW features... not build one that will release with HTML5 support when HTML6 releases. It's all about speedy updates and releases.

If they implemented a fully 3D webpage environment would you guys want to wait for the final build of the Browser to use it? NOPE.. They want the feature out to the public the day it passes beta testing not 6 months from now. :p

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Jack said:
The latest version of Firefox includes more than 1,000 improvements and performance enhancements that make it easier to discover and use all of the innovative features in Firefox.
This is the nice way for saying : "We don;t have any big feature for version 5" or I've missed something in the changelog ?:p
Thats exactly what I been thinking. :D

Bo

Mark

Thread author
Apr 22, 2011
An update for Norton Toolbar yesterday is compatible. They make it compatible with every build of Firefox. The delays are due to testing.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'm not gonna move up to Firefox 5 until of all my Addons are compatible, 4.0.1 still works good. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.