Battle Mozilla Firefox vs Google Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
This is going to get heated, but I thought I might post this anyway, the big question is, which web browser do you like better? Chrome or Firefox? Post your replies!

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
iPanik said:
I switched to chrome at version 4 when extensions made an entrance and I haven't looked back since.
Chrome really is a case of making more from less. Fast, secure, good extensions, what more do you need.
Chrome is made on the philosophy of what the user can do without, and it seems I can do without a lot.
Firefox has more features, but most of them are only usable to me in rare cases and I won't base my browser choise on hypothetical situations. Also the interface in firefox 4 is broken (or I hope it is) because the text rendering in the dialogs is, at least ugly.

i think.. firefox 4 more better :)
i have 4.0.1 now :)

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
I like Chrome best :) Fast and secure. But the FF4 is also good and has improved also, especially when it comes to performance. Chrome can take advantage of the grahiccard that you have (I don't know if FF has that ability as well.)

Chrome is also more ready for HTML 5 look here.

My (Comodo Dragon v9.0) has 282 + 9bonus and FF4 has 255+9 bonus (see here) out of 400.

Regards,
Valentin N

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
iPanik said:
Chrome really is a case of making more from less. Fast, secure, good extensions, what more do you need.

I guess it depends on what you consider secure... :rolleyes:

If you consider privacy to be a part of your security, you don't want to be running Chrome. Instead, look into one of the Chromium variants that remove Google's prying eyes.

And as far as good extensions, Chrome still has a way to go to compete with Firefox. Due to Chrome's API limitations, it's still not possible to add some of the more useful Firefox extensions, and even some of those that do exist don't have the full functionality that the Firefox equivalents do.

Adblock Plus for example. It's still unknown whether it will ever be as powerful as ABP in Firefox. It all depends on what the Chromium team allows for in their API.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
HeffeD said:
If you consider privacy to be a part of your security, you don't want to be running Chrome. Instead, look into one of the Chromium variants that remove Google's prying eyes.
thanks for the tip, but my life is not nearly interesting enough to worry about Google's prying eyes. ;)

I haven't looked into their API's but as a user i don't feel very limited. I was a heavy add-on user in my Firefox days, but on Chrome i haven't had that "ooh, i wish that add-on was available in Chrome" feeling yet.

One other thing i love in Chrome is the built in flash and pdf reader. I don't have to worry about flash being out-dated since it updates alongside Chrome. And its included in the sandbox by default.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have used Firefox from version 2 to 3.6, then ditched it for Chrome. :angel:

Both are excellent alternate web-browsers to Internet Explorer (if you're not a fan).

In my opinion Google Chrome has the edge for my use.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I tried the new Firefox. I am impressed with the speed increase. I still prefer Chrome though. Kudos to Mozilla's team though. Competition is bringing the best out of both. That is a great thing.

psyside1

Mar 23, 2011
Sorry guys for being rude, but how can you in the name of god say that Firefox is faster then Chrome? thats nonsense! Firefox is known as one of the slowest browsers, if not the slowest, event generally is very good (other then being slow ofc)

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Firefox starts slow. Probably because of the plugin architecture and some plugins you might have installed. But once it starts it is pretty fast. Anyway, I think people refer to browsing speed.

Ibrad

Apr 29, 2011
So since AngryBirds was released for Chrome today I downloaded it to: A. Play the Game B. See what the big deal is about Chrome. I can not see what the big deal is about Chrome. I don't see anything that stands out enough to make me want to switch from FireFox to Chrome. I think the only feature that I wish FireFox has was the built in Task Manager but that's it. I did notice how quick Chrome started up but I normally keep my browser open all day so that does not play a big impact in my opinion.

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
psyside1 said:
Sorry guys for being rude, but how can you in the name of god say that Firefox is faster then Chrome? thats nonsense! Firefox is known as one of the slowest browsers, if not the slowest, event generally is very good (other then being slow ofc)

Actually, Firefox isn't known as "one of the slowest browsers" and in fact, Chrome is slower at loading pages then Firefox or Opera on my computer. This is just me though...

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
aijay said:
Mozilla Firefox is more secure, fast & compatible unlike chrome.

Chrome has one of the most secure sandboxes and has always survived the Pwn2Own contest during the last three years.
VUPEN is the only security firm who manage to pwnd Chrome and that's after they have dedicated their time and research to it....and Vupen did say that :
The exploit ... is one of the most sophisticated codes we have seen and created so far, as it bypasses all security features including ASLR/DEP/Sandbox,".

Compatible ....I've got a feeling that you are talking about the addons....so here you go :
https://chrome.google.com/webstore ....
I do think you'll manage to find the plugins that you need in there. :p
As for the web rendering...both support all the modern technologies when it comes to "dispalying a web page" ...

Speed.......I do think a user should be more worried about what type of internet connection is he using and it's overall speed , than which browser is faster......
And whatever browser is leading in the "speed" field ,the difference between Chrome and Firefox is always measured in milliseconds....

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
bogdan said:
Firefox starts slow. Probably because of the plugin architecture and some plugins you might have installed. But once it starts it is pretty fast. Anyway, I think people refer to browsing speed.

Agree, admit that Chrome can open faster than Firefox in first bootup.

Also a tool called speedyfox can optimize it to make FF faster Link

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
aijay said:
Mozilla Firefox is more secure, fast & compatible unlike chrome.

If you refer to the way that Chrome ties to Google and thus might be considered to be "spying" or recording usages and such then perhaps you can legitimately make such a claim but otherwise I think it is the exact opposite and that Chrome would be the more secure of the two. You have seen the mention of how Chrome stood strong against being hack during the P20Wn Competition where each browser was specifically put to the test for what security they could offer. A link to an article that legitimizes such a claim would be great just as stormgtr requested above.

:huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.