Battle Mozilla Firefox vs Google Chrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
This is going to get heated, but I thought I might post this anyway, the big question is, which web browser do you like better? Chrome or Firefox? Post your replies!

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Shadow Death said:
Actually, I did a few benchmarks and so far in Sunspider IE9 > Firefox 4 > Chrome.

Personally, I pick Firefox 4

Could anyone show any benchmark? from HTML5 is not the worst among the popular ones and chrome is the best.

I must say that CD is the best and the one that I will continue to use; it's fast and the addons I want is available.

From the moment I knew it I liked it and I have ended up returned to it :)

Regards,
Valentin N

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
For those who don't know, sunspider is a Java based benchmark. This is a benchmark that Chrome has always dominated in the past.

FF_401.jpg

Firefox 4.0.1 Sunspider Test 5/6/2011

chrome_12074221.jpg

Google Chrome v12.0.742.21 Sunspider Test 5/6/2011

aurora_50a2.jpg

Aurora 5.0 Alpha 2 Sunspider Test 5/6/2011

This version of Aurora is slated to be the 5th version of Firefox. After Mozilla Firefox 4's very long beta process Mozilla decided to create an additional channel for faster production process. Previous builds had the Nightly build and the final release. With the start of Firefox 5's production Mozilla has created a new channel is a mid point between nightly and final. The 4 channels are now Nightly, Aurora, Beta, and Firefox/final release. Nightly releases are expected to be full of bugs and problems. They are compiled using the code that was created earlier that day, so it is not fully tested. Aurora is the mid point, it's compiled and most bugs are worked out prior to release into this channel. It is also updated over time by Mozilla with the latest versions of the more stable builds.

There you go... This should shed more light on this subject.

Note: I didn't test IE9.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Firefox is the browser that feels like it was built for myself. Many of
the reasons that I prefer FF have already been mentioned but two
important reasons have not.
NoScript on Firefox is the #1 reason why I prefer Firefox over Chrome,
#2, I prefer to have my bookmarks displayed as a side panel, like its
been forever. I can not get use to opening bookmarks any other way,
that alone kills Chrome for me.

Bo

Macadamia

May 15, 2011
In my opinion I would say the best browser depends on the hardware you're running it on.

• Chrome is best for lower-specification machines and laptops.
  • Firefox is better for higher-specification machines.

This is because (considering add-ons) the available feature set and customisability of Firefox far outstrips that of Chrome. However Firefox does use more resources on average than Chrome which is very visible on lower-spec computers. On higher-end computers (mine is a quad-core gaming computer for instance) the difference is negligible. If you want to use a lot of tabs you'll find that Firefox handles things much better than Chrome in terms of resources. Firefox 4 also added a workspace-style tabs system that makes managing a lot (e.g. 30+) tabs much, much easier.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
i use FF for the addons and the tweaking features (about:config), chrome cant compare with it.
What addons are you using on Firefox and aren't available in Chrome? :D

SamChan

Level 2
Jun 20, 2011
I installed both Firefox and Chrome on my PC, but I almost use Firefox because it 's faster and stable, I also prefer Firefox and now I'm happy with FF6 beta 5 :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 178

bo.elam said:
Firefox is the browser that feels like it was built for myself. Many of
the reasons that I prefer FF have already been mentioned but two
important reasons have not.
NoScript on Firefox is the #1 reason why I prefer Firefox over Chrome,
#2, I prefer to have my bookmarks displayed as a side panel, like its
been forever. I can not get use to opening bookmarks any other way,
that alone kills Chrome for me.
Bo

lol Bo, same reasons for me :D

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
Chrome's an incredibly new browser so I understand its limitations.

The two limitations I see most with it are:
1) Customizing the UI
2) Proper adblocking/ domain request blocks

(1) is definitely not a priority for me as a user. I just don't care all too much as long as I get lots of screen real estate and Chrome provides that.

(2) is a bit more of an issue. I use a host file on my router and that works very well but I think I'd likely prefer using an adblock extension. Thankfully this will be fixed in the next 2 months.

SamChan

Level 2
Jun 20, 2011
Today, Firefox 6 Final has been updated on Mozilla's FPT server. It's really fast and smooth.:)
link : ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/6.0/win32/

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.