Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Mozilla is cracking down on Firefox add-ons that put an undue drag on the performance of the open source browser.

With a blog post on Friday, Mozilla said that within the next two weeks, it will add a warning to any add-on that slows Firefox's startup time by more than 25 per cent, and in an upcoming version of the browser, third-party add-ons will not be installed unless the user specifically approves the installation.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/03/mozilla_cracks_down_on_add_ons_that_slow_firefox/

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Do you use any of the addons that are already on the list?
I use Xmarks. I do however disable any extra features this addon has: Smarter Search, Site Info, Site Tags and Ratings (under the Discovery tab) and I only sync bookmarks. Since I need the sync feature across multiple browsers (firefox and chrome) I'll keep it. Hopefully developers will improve it.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Sounds like IE 9's add on warnings. But IE 9 add on warnings is annoying. Just about every time you launch IE and asks you if you want to disable certain add ons to speed up IE.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
bogdan said:
Do you use any of the addons that are already on the list?

Edit: Well WOT, Adblock plus, Download Statusbar and flagfox was listed in performing slow addons

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Dont need Download Status with FF 4 cause by default the add on bar is hidden to provide more viewing room.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Ok Dieselman I just noticed it, bad there is a mini download statusbar which I didn't put before.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Download Statusbar has tow modes. Mini and full. Either way its not a needed add on unless you honestly like looking at it. Your better off with Down-Them-All.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I stick to Download Statusbar, honestly i just want to have looking it

G

Guest28

I see the positives and negatives on this so i am neutral...

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
This list is a work in progress. Eventually it is up to the user. Some addons offer sufficient features to convince you to keep them for some you'll look for an alternative, some you might remove.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Dieselman said:
Just about every time you launch IE and asks you if you want to disable certain add ons to speed up IE.
You shouldn't have the problem, if you can change the drop-down setting to a higher number.

Of course you will get it, if you select Ask Me Later.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Off-Topic:
That really is not a solution.

I simply suggested it so it could help others.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
No honestly that is my suggestion. My default Microsoft should give you that warning once a month. IE still has tons of draw back. The lack of a free ad blocker is one of them. I haven't used IE in years and tried IE 9. I still hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.