Mozilla says “most top apps” on Android have misleading privacy labels

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
It looks like trusting developers to just tell the truth about data collection on Google Play isn't working out. Just like on iOS, Android launched app privacy "nutrition labels" in the Play Store last year, with the idea being that users could quickly get a look at how much data each app collects. The obvious problem with this system is that the developers fill out the data-collection forms, and there's nothing to stop them from lying or omitting certain data-collection policies. It's no surprise, then, that when Mozilla recently audited the top apps on Google Play, it found that "most top apps" have "false or misleading" app privacy labels.
Google and your device manufacturer both have system-level access to the OS that exists outside the app security model, so they can basically do whatever they want on your phone, including collecting all your data.(my emphasis).

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Google, Samsung, Chinese smartphone makers have worked it out with Android. Have an official app for everything that is constantly updated through app stores like messages, phone, carrier services, maps, and generic keyboard app where you can collect data, track users, target adds and have users under constant surveillance.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Google, Samsung, Chinese smartphone makers have worked it out with Android. Have an official app for everything that is constantly updated through app stores like messages, phone, carrier services, maps, and generic keyboard app where you can collect data, track users, target adds and have users under constant surveillance.
Indeed, but I like my old Samsung J3, but It has less of everything. And I mean everything. ;):LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.