Mozilla to Disable Flash in Firefox 69

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Mozilla will disable Adobe Flash Player in Firefox 69, which is scheduled to launch in September this year.

Adobe will retire Flash Player in late 2020, and Mozilla’s decision to disable the plugin in its browser comes in anticipation of this moment, as the company wants to make sure its users are protected.

According to the company’s original roadmap, Mozilla initially planned to begin displaying a warning to users whenever Flash was loaded starting with the first months of 2019, but this idea was eventually dropped as the company believed it would have only created more confusion.

But as discovered recently by Sören Hentzschel (via GHacks), Mozilla will make a major step towards giving up on Flash Player entirely by disabling it by default in Firefox 69 due on September 3.

As it typically happens during the development of new Firefox updates, Flash will be disabled first in Nightly builds of the browser, before the change makes its way to beta builds and then to the production version.

Bye-bye, Flash!

The next step for Mozilla is then to remove support for Flash Player entirely, so starting with early 2020, consumer versions of Firefox would no longer work with Adobe’s plugin. The Extended Support Release (ESR) version of Firefox will be next later the same year before Adobe itself pulls the plug on the software.

Eventually, Mozilla will block Flash in Firefox in 2021, as the lack of security updates from its vendor means users would only be exposed to potential exploits.

Both Google and Microsoft announced plans to give up on Flash Player by the time Adobe abandons it too, so more browsers would disable the plugin by default in the coming updates.

The latest version of Mozilla’s browser is Firefox 64.0.2, and it was released only a few days ago with several bug fixes and performance improvements on desktop platforms.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hey

It is 6ix9ine, ya boy skittles rapper.

I can't wait till HTML will going to replace Flash, and something better and safer than Javascript.

@SumTingWong Now this is quite true. Java and Flash could go bye bye... However, Java is in just about everything :emoji_grimacing::emoji_grimacing::emoji_fearful: I forsee both sticking around until all developers learn not to use Java and Flash any more. This may take a long long long time....

Mozilla will disable Adobe Flash Player in Firefox 69, which is scheduled to launch in September this year.

It's to celebrate.
Thank you for sharing:giggle:

@bribon77 You and me both!!!! No flash on any of my corporate computers - default deny. Someone must have flash.. they have to let our fine folks in IT know and then they get a VM that has it on it to use for whatever task. 15 minutes later that VM is reverted back in the snapshot automatically. Bada bing bada boom - simple and easy as that. Wayyyy to many potential security issues [cue Brian pulling out his hair!]

In all seriousness: would love to see Flash and Java go to the way side. However, I got a feeling both Java and Flash will be around for a long time - at least into the foreseeable future. I think folks are learning now just how crazy buggy it is though. I must stay optimistic though! Right!? :emoji_pray:

~Brian

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
@SumTingWong Now this is quite true. Java and Flash could go bye bye... However, Java is in just about everything :emoji_grimacing::emoji_grimacing::emoji_fearful: I forsee both sticking around until all developers learn not to use Java and Flash any more. This may take a long long long time....

~Brian

"Java is in just about everything." Not in my brain cells nor my chromosomes.

But we need to get rid of Java and Flash for real though. These two pose security risks.

Reactions: stefanos

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
the highest time should be done a long time ago.
with this Flash are just problems.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
@bribon77 You and me both!!!! No flash on any of my corporate computers - default deny. Someone must have flash.. they have to let our fine folks in IT know and then they get a VM that has it on it to use for whatever task. 15 minutes later that VM is reverted back in the snapshot automatically. Bada bing bada boom - simple and easy as that. Wayyyy to many potential security issues [cue Brian pulling out his hair!]

In all seriousness: would love to see Flash and Java go to the way side. However, I got a feeling both Java and Flash will be around for a long time - at least into the foreseeable future. I think folks are learning now just how crazy buggy it is though. I must stay optimistic though! Right!? :emoji_pray:

~Brian
I don't use flash and I have disabled Java, and why can't I remove Net. framework if I also do it there are programs that need it.
I have to say that I am a home user, maybe in a company I need these programs. But one is a source of vulnerabilities.:giggle:

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Any time that you run active code from an external source in your browser, or browser plugins, you are taking a chance. Maybe the only good answer is to run all browser processes completely sand-boxed.

Active code is what makes the internet interesting, so it would be rather dull if we shut off all the code. :cry:

Reactions: plat

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.