Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The handling of clicking on FTP links from within Firefox will soon be passed to other applications, as Mozilla will rip out Firefox's FTP implementation.

A year ago Mozilla announced its intention to shortly disable support for FTP, but it also said it would delay the move pending how the pandemic turned out.

By February, FTP was disabled in Firefox's nightly channel and it is currently also disabled in the Beta channel. For general release, FTP will be disabled in Firefox 88 released on April 19.

At this point, when Firefox encounters an FTP link, it will attempt to pass it off to an external application.

"Most places where an extension may pass 'ftp' such as filters for proxy or webRequest should not result in an error, but the APIs will no longer handle requests of those types," Mozilla add-ons community manager Caitlin Neiman wrote in a blog post.

"To help offset this removal, ftp has been added to the list of supported protocol_handlers for browser extensions. This means that extensions will be able to prompt users to launch a FTP application to handle certain links."

Two release cycles later in late June, Firefox 90 will have the FTP implementation removed altogether. This will also impact Firefox on Android.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Poor mozila, little by little running out, soon there will be fewer users than Opera, Brave and etc
Pretty sad to think about as it's the only other browser that's not based on Chromium. It's my main browser as I've not had any major issues since the release of Quantum. The occasional freezing was pretty common for me about 10 years ago but that has been improved greatly. What I dislike about Mozilla is the fact that they promote "privacy" but fail to offer this out of the box without tweaking your settings or having to download a user.js that's pre-configured.

The fact that they want to make money from a VPN but offer a stripped down version of Mullvad in which you're only saving maybe 50 cents. As far as I can tell, the sign-up process for Mozilla's version of it requires your email to make an account when Mullvad needs no personal information and just gives you a randomly generated account number to use their service.

Reactions: Venustus

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
FTP is an old outdated protocol that's full of security holes. Well done to Mozilla. I am
sure the other chromium based browsers will follow Mozilla's lead eventually. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
LOL, Mozilla never leads, they're the ones that follow, they are just copying Google (yet again) with this move.
Which company was first to offer DOH has a default option to its users, Google or Mozilla?

Which browser was first to offer HTTPS only mode without it been hidden behind a bunch of hidden "experimental" flags?

Pointless having features in your browser hidden away from the majority of its end users and say that company is a leader.

On the issue of FTP support I was not aware that chrome had already dropped support for ftp protocol.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
The FTP protocol itself has been disabled by default since version 88 and now the time has come to end an era and discontinue the support for this outdated and insecure protocol — Firefox 90 will no longer support the FTP protocol.

If you are a Firefox user, you don’t have to do anything to benefit from this security advancement. As soon as your Firefox auto-updates to version 90, any attempt to launch an attack relying on the insecure FTP protocol will be rendered useless, because Firefox does not support FTP anymore. If you aren’t a Firefox user yet, you can download the latest version here to start benefiting from all the ways that Firefox works to protect you when browsing the web.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.