Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Webian Shell is similar to ChromeOS, but using Mozilla's technology.

About - http://webian.org/about/
The Webian project is a not-for-profit venture founded by Ben Francis. Ben is a full time software engineer at a startup in Cambridge (England).

Download - http://webian.org/shell/download/

Last edited by a moderator:

silviu_c

Feb 28, 2011
It's not for me because I do not use my computer as a phone. Heck I don't use my android phone like a phone :) But I can certainly see the appeal for people that do so.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hmm.. it can be appeal to people since most users are fan in Mozilla.

Shadow Death

May 12, 2011
Does anyone else find it disturbing that Mozilla cranked this out in a matter of months and google has been working on the ChromeOS for years now? If that's not enough, the ChromeOS is it's own OS and this thing runs on top of another OS and still out performs it. :D

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Webian have their future release

Future

In the 0.2 release I’d like to focus on fixing bugs and implementing some obvious features.

Bugs:

Problems with full screen in Windows
Doesn’t work with key web sites like GMail and Twitter
CSS looking wrong on some web sites
Odd behaviour when you have too many tabs open to fit on one line
Favicon doesn’t always change when it should
Switching tabs makes flash objects reset themselves
The address bar sometimes shows the wrong URL

Features:

Keyboard shortcuts
Open link in a new tab
Auto-select address bar
Re-arrange tabs

The features for 0.3 are open for debate, but I’d really like to start looking into integrating Mozilla’s Open Web Apps.

I’d like to start mapping out a roadmap to a Webian Shell 1.0 release, and then a roadmap for a Webian OS which comes bundled with Webian Shell as the front end.

To me Webian Shell 1.0 should be good enough to be a drop-in replacement for Gnome or KDE on Linux which allows you to use web sites and web apps, but also do basic operating system functions like changing system volume, configuring displays, configuring network devices etc.

I think it’s unlikely that we’ll be able to implement all of these features in a cross-platform way, but it would be nice to keep maintaining an app which can run on Windows and Mac for people to try out if possible.

Link

new user

Jun 18, 2011
Shadow Death said:
Does anyone else find it disturbing that Mozilla cranked this out in a matter of months and google has been working on the ChromeOS for years now? If that's not enough, the ChromeOS is it's own OS and this thing runs on top of another OS and still out performs it. :D
Google is creating an operating system (it's really linux). They are completely integrating Chrome in to Low level OS tasks. It takes a lot of work. This is just a hack-and-slash Firefox stuck in full-screen and is a bit more stripped down.

Jaspion

Level 17
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
My goodness. First he's about a clean look that puts web apps in the forefront. Then he's talking about the buttons, top and bottom, clock, new functions to come, multiple homes, hardware controls (such as volume), I mean, he's recreating the actual OS in the app. Sorry, it seems totally redundant, thus useless.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Posted it 2.5 years ago and now probably a dead project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.