MRG Effitas 360 Assessment & Certification Q2 2016

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Just out of curiosity why are people saying Windows Defender did great? The test results said it failed. Really disappointed in the quality of Malwarebytes. :(
Many people in this forum still trust ESET, Bitdefender or Zemana when they all failed. Those are very reputable company producing great security software. Which is why I for one starts to not believing these kind of test. The real test is the one that is in your system. If it protects, it passed. If it doesn't, then failed.

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Many people in this forum still trust ESET, Bitdefender or Zemana when they all failed. Those are very reputable company producing great security software. Which is why I for one starts to not believing these kind of test. The real test is the one that is in your system. If it protects, it passed. If it doesn't, then failed.

yes, that is true, besides the chances that you get infected from a ransom via an ad campaign decreases if you are using an adblocker, with this i am trying to say that people normally doesnt rely on normal AV, they implement other sort of security to protect themself. The other fact is that we have no idea how they tested each product, i mean the quality of the samples, url or etc, like for example a simple .JS will be used for a ransom campaign but its functionality will vanish as the download server may be healed (it normal life is just hours) so..

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Can anyone explain what "block in 24 hours" mean? Is that The AV first doesn't detect the malware but 24 hrs later, it would be blocked? What if we get infected by ransomwares in case, we're screwed because AV cannot recover the encrypted files?

Lord Ami

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 14, 2014
Can anyone explain what "block in 24 hours" mean? Is that The AV first doesn't detect the malware but 24 hrs later, it would be blocked? What if we get infected by ransomwares in case, we're screwed because AV cannot recover the encrypted files?
It means that the file was detected by AV in 24 hour period. It's actually pretty much how Webroot works - it will let some 0-days execute, but it monitors them for rollback purposes. Once file is considered malicious, computer is restored to previous state (before malware).

It can also restore crypto malware files:
https://malwaretips.com/threads/ransomware-3.63231/#post-541535

However, it's far from perfect/does not work with all malware.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.