MSE = Ram hog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
Ok so I am still testing out free antiviruses. I thought I would try MSE for haha's. Well the screen shot shows it all. Microsoft has done NOTHING to improve MSE's ram usage. 3 processes totaling 174MB. (Thats private bytes and not working set on the left).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I feel the same way. Someone could argue that free RAM is actually wasted RAM and if a program can perform better by using more memory it should do so. But there are alternatives that perform as well as MSE (or even better) and have a much lower memory usage. Another downside of MSE is the slow full scan.

Another aspect is that an antivirus needs to run permanently. It is not like an IM client, Office application etc. that you can close if you need more resources.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
I honestly could not believe my eyes when I saw that. No wonder customers of mine with 512Mb or ram were complaining that there pc was slow.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
So very true, seen several pcs grind to a halt with MSE, went back to and stuck with Avast very quickly after seeing MSE behave poorly a couple of times. I wonder how or if there be a major change in MSE when Windows 8 is released, say it is more implemented into the OS perhaps in the way Windows Defender had been...doubtful but they seem to be trying to implement so many things, if MSE cannot become a slimmer and better solution those in the know will continue to avoid using it.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I don't think it will ever be integrated into the operating system, Microsoft had sufficient problems with this in the past. MsMpEng was also present in Microsoft OneCare and its resource usage was similar. Authors probably consider that 60-100 MB of RAM is just a small percentage of what a modern PC has available.

Dieselman

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 26, 2011
60-100MB of ram usage is rather small for today's pc's. Heck my laptop has 4GB but then again I see computers running XP with 1GB and less. What about them? Not everyone has a new pc running 4GB or more. But thats not even my point. NIS is a complete suite and runs 2 processes totaling on the average of about 12-20MB of ram.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
have you looked how much virtual memory it uses?

CIS in normal condition uses 15MB but the virtual ram is 300MB so the true memory use it for CIS in this case 300MB and up.

So tell me how much MSE has (just curious)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.