MSI To Showcase Fresh Coffee Lake Gaming Notebooks, Displays And Motherboards (Computex 2018)

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Sunday, June 03, 2018

MSI is delivering plenty of goods for gaming enthusiasts at this year's Computex show in Taipei, Taiwan. The products on display will include gaming notebooks, monitors, all-in-one PCs and motherboard (among others).

At the top of the gaming [laptop] totem pole is the , which is quite a mouthful to say. The 17.3-inch laptop (Full HD or 4K display options) comes packing Intel's top-of-the line Intel Core i9 unlocked hexa-core Coffee Lake processors that works in conjunction with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 graphics card. Other features include a SteelSeries mechanical keyboard with per-key RGB backlighting, Killer Wireless-AC 1550 networking and Aquantia 10 GbE.

The GE73 Raider RGB also goes the 8th generation route, but instead tops out with Core i7 processors. You can choose from either GTX 1060 or GTX 1070 GPUs, while a 120Hz 17.3-inch display should be a delight for your eyes. Like the GT75 Titan 8RG, the GE73 Raider RGB features per-key RGB lighting for the keyboard, while Killer DoubleShot Pro handles networking duties. Keeping things nice and cool is MSI's Cooler Boost 5 technology which employs dual thermal modules, dual Whirlwind Blade fans and plenty of heat pipes to dissipate heat.
Other products on tap include the Optic MPG27 Series gaming monitor, which features a 27-inch 1ms VA panel with a 144Hz refresh rate and 178-degree viewing angles the B360 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard with MSI Mystic Light effects and Twin Turbo M.2 support, and the X299 SLI Plus motherboard with support for up to 18-core Intel Core-X Series HEDT processors.

Pricing and availability for all of MSI's new products will be announced later this week.

Reactions: SHvFl

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If Intel thinks hipster names like 'Coffee Lake' for their chipsets will save them... No..

Sorry Intel. Never again.
From what i hear they can't sleep at nights. Not sure if it's from drinking all those coffee lakes or because you will not buy intel ever again. It must be the latter though for sure.
Now about those high end laptops i never seen the point but oh well they must sell for them to make them. About the 144Hz monitors nothing to be excited about except if they are priced aggressively to their competitors which are producing 240hz monitors at the high end.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How good or bad are MSI products in comparison to their competition, for example, design, pricing and support?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
How good or bad are MSI products in comparison to their competition, for example, design, pricing and support?
All main brands asus/dell/msi/acer/hp/etc are similarly priced. They have minor changes in pricing based on specs and design but overall if you ignore deals with are often vendor deals on "unwanted" product in most cases you will not see a difference.
Design i don't mind any of the main brands except acer as in most cases it feels sluggish. Support from personal experience dell is by far the best miles apart from the competition and the rest follow. I had or tested laptops from most brands and i wouldn't pick anything based on brand. At this point in time all offer models with similar qualities. The amount of different models each of them offers makes it extremely hard for the average user to buy which is why you often see aggressive deals and flashy ads.

Reactions: Ink
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

From what i hear they can't sleep at nights. Not sure if it's from drinking all those coffee lakes or because you will not buy intel ever again. It must be the latter though for sure.
Now about those high end laptops i never seen the point but oh well they must sell for them to make them. About the 144Hz monitors nothing to be excited about except if they are priced aggressively to their competitors which are producing 240hz monitors at the high end.

I used to buy $1600-$2000 laptops. Then at some point realized they were a colossal waste of money. It's like a year after you buy one it's lagging on the newest games, and well - you are stuck with the GPU in it.

So I stick to $400 Chromebooks for my mobile work and leave the gaming for my Ryzen Rigs at home. I've purged Intel from my home network and feel good about it.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016

... im curently running two (older) MSI gaming laptops (msi-GT72 and msi-GE60 with GTX 970M and GTX 860M):
i bought them few years ago: both models have been discontinued.

MSI seems (still) to have a very good reputation here on big popular PC/gamer boards in germany. Before buying I started some few threads to check which brand is the best. The guys told me that MSI (especially their gaming laptops) is offering the best performance and quality and that MSI should the best choice. But on the other hand based on their experience their support seems to be very bad...
Im frequently playing games and both machines are stil running fine, no problems at all.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.