msiexec.exe, netdde.exe viruses

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
No, this can't be done with laptop...

Problem with booting cannot be interfered by virus, that is probably something done wrong by you...

kartik1955

Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2013
Six days back I had taken the CPU to the service center where they formatted and reinstalled the OS. After that it was booting form CD. After coming home also I checked that it was booting from CD. Then on the same day, I found that there was some problem with Internet explorer. Also the antivirus used to frequently prompting to restart. So I decided to reinstall the OS. As soon as the window files started copying from the CD, the screen became blank and thereafter it stopped booting from CD. I have a feeling that it is due to virus. Perhaps virus is blocking the BIOS. However, if you feel it can be done, we will try.

kartik1955

Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2013
I haven't told you that earlier the problem was that it was not booting either from CD or HDD. That time I sought the help from "Tom's Guide". Their team tried for several days to find the solution. Finally I decided to give to the service center. Either the service center could not remove the virus by formatting or virus came again during the period of few hours when there was no antivirus installed.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
This virus came from CD or usually via removable drives. Please, when you reinstall system, don't use any USB drive, until I tell you so. First thing after reinstall/format is to install and update antivirus...

kartik1955

Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2013
TwinHeadedEagle said:
This virus came from CD or usually via removable drives. Please, when you reinstall system, don't use any USB drive, until I tell you so. First thing after reinstall/format is to install and update antivirus...

OK. I will do exactly what you say.

kartik1955

Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2013
Do you want me to start the process? I have a XP CD which I have already scanned in my laptop. There is no virus in it. (In my laptop win7 is installed where security aspect is taken care by Microsoft's security essentials). I also have a win7 CD which was used to install the OS in my laptop. But since win7 consumes more space, I wanted to install XP.

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
Yes, start reinstall...

As I said, you need to format system partition. In case you have another partition, leave it, we'll scan it later, but do not open it...

kartik1955

Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2013
TwinHeadedEagle said:
Yes, start reinstall...

As I said, you need to format system partition. In case you have another partition, leave it, we'll scan it later, but do not open it...

TwinHeadedEagle

Level 41
Verified
Mar 8, 2013
As far as I'm concerned, you can reformat all partitions. But if you don't have any important files on other partition, then it is best to format all partitions...

kartik1955

Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2013
TwinHeadedEagle said:
As far as I'm concerned, you can reformat all partitions. But if you don't have any important files on other partition, then it is best to format all partitions...

kartik1955

Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2013
Since it was not booting from CD, I brows the CD and ran the setup file. Initially it was not allowing and asking for administrative password. But after disabling the antivirus, it became possible to run the setup file. I opted for Advance option(fresh installation ie. not upgrade), where partitioning option is available. After all the files got copied, it displayed the message that it wants to restart. While attempting to restart, it only displayed a blue screen. After that neither it loaded window from HDD nor from CD. This was the situation when, initially I had sought the help from Tom's guide. That time I was unaware about any virus infection. It is only after getting it formatted by the service center and OS reinstalled, when I installed the antivirus, that I could know about virus. I had brought the CPU from the service center on last Saturday. Sunday I found the problem. Monday, again I took it to the service center and got it formatted and OS reinstalled. After that when I still found the virus that I contacted you as per advice of Mr. Derek from Tom's guide.
Now window does not get loaded and does not boot from CD also. So, is there any way that I can format it and install OS?

kartik1955

Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2013
It is not that I do not know how to install the OS. I have done it so many times. But here it does not boot from the CD. Now since window also does not load, I can not brows the CD also and run the setup file physically.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.