Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Mullvad VPN and the Tor Project today present the release of the Mullvad Browser, a privacy-focused web browser designed to be used with a trustworthy VPN instead of the Tor Network.

“We want to free the internet from mass surveillance and a VPN alone is not enough to achieve privacy. From our perspective there has been a gap in the market for those who want to run a privacy-focused browser as good as the Tor Project’s but with a VPN instead of the Tor Network," says Jan Jonsson, CEO at Mullvad VPN.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Thank you for sharing the news about the release of the Mullvad Browser. This new privacy-focused web browser is designed to be used with a trustworthy VPN instead of the Tor Network. Mullvad VPN and the Tor Project teamed up to create this browser with the goal of providing a more private browsing experience for users. More information about the Mullvad Browser can be found on the Mullvad website.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Still trying

Another FF-fork

Can add Brave Search Engine but not Tempest Search Engine.

1680531578607.png

1680531393371.png

Not filtered by Adguard for Windows desktop i.e. not working with Adguard for Windows desktop. Error message appears if set Adguard to filter Mullvad browser

1680534476229.png

Attachments

• 1680532100130.png
    1680532100130.png
    138.5 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
According to Pavel Zoneff, a spokesperson for The Tor Project, Mullvad browser is very similar to the Tor Browser, it just connects to the internet through a VPN rather than the Tor network. (It doesn’t have to be Mullvad’s VPN either; if you use another service you trust, or if you have made your own then you can use that.) Mullvad browser also doesn’t offer the Tor browser’s censorship circumnavigation user experience, access to onion sites or services, or “circuit isolation and the integration with new-identity.” But again, if you don’t know what those things are, it’s probably not a huge concern.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
At this point, I think we're better of using librewolf and just implementing some of the tweaks the Mullvad browser makes. There are some things, like forced NoScript and telling constantly telling you to disable DoH, that I don't like. It'll mature. But for now I'll pass.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Differences with Tor Browser​

• No Tor Network patches
  • No multilanguage support
  • No onboarding patches
  • Different branding/installer metadata
  • WebRTC is enabled
  • Web Audio API is enabled (needed for WebRTC)
  • uBlock Origin / Mullvad Browser Extension
  • NoScript Cross-tab Identity Leak Protection is disabled by default
  • Mullvad DoH
  • A Tor Browser specific cryptocurrency targeted protection is removed
  • No drag and drop protections (it's a specific proxy-bypass measure)
  • No download warning popup (the one that says that you should use Tails to open downloads)

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Thank you very much, I am using it as my new browser, since it brought me fewer problems than FF with the Custom User.js I was using. I am using it with ProtonVPN and DNS0. For now, it will be my new default browser, we will see with time.

Keep us posted. I may check it out myself.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Still trying

Another FF-fork

Can add Brave Search Engine but not Tempest Search Engine.

View attachment 274186

View attachment 274185

After adding extensions, Dark Reader and IDN Safe, cannot get them to display on the top right side of the address bar. That means cannot work on extension's settings

View attachment 274187

Not filtered by Adguard for Windows desktop i.e. not working with Adguard for Windows desktop. Error message appears if set Adguard to filter Mullvad browser

View attachment 274190
I wonder if that is because it’s new or this

• Disable some mechanisms of code injection for 3rd party applications (including antiviruses)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, manage to add extensions and they are showing on the address bar now

I made a mistake. Didn't know that Mullvad browser starts in Private Browsing Mode by default

I disabled Private Browsing Mode and now everything is ok.

I have edited (removed) the issue raised on extension support in the above posts.

1680595691862.png

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Awesome post. Will try it out soon. I remember using Mullvad way back in 2008/2009 when they only had 4 OpenVpn servers SWE & NL only. Now they have 450+, a client for every platform and now a browser. How time flies. However, I wish they still gave away T-shirts, I asked for one when they were giving them out, but it never came in the mail, then asked them recently and they said "Only at conferences do we give them away"... Oh well!

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
Can use browserleaks.com to test its effectiveness.

It passed the Ping Spotter test but failed the cookieless cookies test.

Also, it cannot spoof hardware fingerprints like CPU/GPU/RAM/mouse movement etc
Hello, please could you pass the links to do the tests? Thank you so much. All the best.

Reactions: Sorrento

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.