multiple Chrome.exe 32 processes appearing on startup

FredricJLowe

Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2014
On startup notice there are at least 6 Chrome.exe 32 processes appearing in task manager. I do not have Google Chrome running. I ran Malwarebytes and rebooted, but they have returned. This is on my desktop running Windows 7 64 bits. I also have this same issue on my laptop as well running Windows 7 64 bit.

The reason I was checking task manager is that last week it tool a lot to get rid of the Poweliks virus and is still gone, thankfully.

Your help again is greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

King Kong

Level 1
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
On Task Manager, highlight the questionable "Chrome.exe", right click then select "Properties". Look for its location. Tell us what you find.

King Kong

Level 1
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
You may as well install Autorun check utility at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Also, you can try check "C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\" (remember to uncheck 'hidden view' once you get there), replace XXXX with your PC logon name, and see what stubborn autorun program secretly planting there in your PC.

Last edited:

FredricJLowe

Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2014
All 6 chrome.exe 42 show the same location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application

I'll download Autorun now

FredricJLowe

Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2014
It won't let me run or save Auto Run. please see attached pdf.
Also, when I check in C:\\Users\FredricJLowe there is no App Data folder. I even checked in Administrators folder. same. the only one that has App Data in it is a folder called dub_cm-auto

When I was having problems getting rid of the Poweliks virus, there were issues with opening Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. I changed my user profile from Standard to Administrator and then everything opened.

Attachments

• Autorun.pdf
    208.4 KB · Views: 150

King Kong

Level 1
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
If u'd extracted the zip file, run "autoruns.exe" instead. Not the command line tool "autorunsc.exe".

FredricJLowe

Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2014
I just downloaded a freeware zip program called Express.zip and extracted Autorun.zip. I am running it now. I see the entire report. What do you want me to do with the report?

King Kong

Level 1
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Click on "Logon" tab, look for ".../CurrentVersion/Run". Uncheck/delete all the autorun programs that u don't want

FredricJLowe

Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2014
Click on "Logon" tab, look for ".../CurrentVersion/Run". Uncheck/delete all the autorun programs that u don't want

Ok, there were 2 instances of Google Chrome. I unchecked and deleted them. Rebooted. so far nothing is appearing.

Did the same on the laptop, but I had ended the processes so I rebooted. Ran autoruns.exe but did not see any of the Google processes.

I'll check it in the morning again.

Thank you for your help so far!!

good night.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Go to Settings->Show Advanced Settings->Uncheck the option Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed which is present at the very bottom.

Also Autoruns is a handy utility.

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Where is "Settings"?

Here

hHbGV6L.png

FredricJLowe

Thread author
Verified
Nov 11, 2014
unchecked and they disappear from the task manager. When I do launch Google Chrome, immediately 8 chrome.exe 32 appear in processes as you can see from the attached pdf. When I exit Chrome, they all disappear. Is this something I should be concerned about, or is this normal behavior for Google Chrome?

Attachments

• Chrome.exe32.pdf
    172.8 KB · Views: 105

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.