Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Rooted: No
Adblocker (for all apps): Adblock Plus for Android
Anti-Theft: Cerberus Anti-theft
Lock Screen: Secured with pattern (Use Visible Pattern option disabled).
DNS: None

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
"Avast Mobile Security (Until I get used to Android)" meaning, you're relying on Avast and your Anti-Theft software to protect you?

Rooting the device, doesn't that make it less secure?

Do you have a password/PIN to protect the device from unauthorised use?

Also being a portable device security risk is High as it stands for the obvious reasons, or Medium at minimum.

Just my thoughts. :D

PS: I do not own an Android device, or other tablets. So I may be wrong in what I'm saying.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
@Earth
No. I am not fully relying on Avast to protect me from malware. I am a new android user. I've read articles about staying safe from Android malware, I of course read application permissions before installation, but many times I forget to read them. So after I have some more knowledge about it, I will remove Avast. Antitheft is just in case of a lost or stolen device, but I surely take care of it. :)

Rooting device let applications have full access to the system. But before an application gain permission to do so, you will be asked. The reason for rooting is to use an application similar to f.lux, called Chainfire3D and for the adblocker to work.

Yes I do have a pattern to unlock device. It is a bit complex but I want to make it even more complex to make it more secure.

Note: Avast also has pishing protection for the Default browser

Thanks. :)

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
Security for Android is useless really, most of them in recent tests failed to detect any malware at all out of all the tests

Security for Android is reading the permissions the app asks for and where you got the App from in the first place

I have the ASUS Transformer running ICS 4.0.3 with no security software ever installed on it, I install .apk apps from anywhere I find them and have never had any problems with malware, I have my email accounts connected to it and they all still belong to me

Security for Android is a farse, and malware for Android is aimed at Phones so they can force premium rate calls and texts and the bad guys get money from that

For tablets without a simcard, there is no worry about malware on Android, or, as much worry as there is with Linux OS on a PC

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
With the web browser that you could us is Opera or if your Tablet is compatible you could use Mozilla Firefox.

Detection

Level 1
Feb 25, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
I sometimes insert the SIM card in my tablet.

Mine doesn't take a SIM, although it would be good to have 3G for when I am out and about, but I can create a hotspot with my phone and tether to that

My favourite browser on Android is Dolphin Browser HD
(v7.6.0 because they broke something in v8.0.0 so streaming video doesn't work but are busy trying to fix it)

D

Deleted member 178

Rooting a device allows you to have full control of what it does and also allows you to clean the device of junk files more efficiently. For example im using Avast and it need a rooted device for the firewall and some of the anti-theft features. In a non-rooted device, any applications can connect to a network and send informations collected from your device.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
The only thing that I have about when rooting a device is that you might brick it and since you did it to your fathers phone? I think that rooting is a no go zone. I still haven't rooted my phone and works and performs normally.

D

Deleted member 178

The advantage in Vietnam, is the phone supermarket root the phone for you, even the brand support office may do it for you ^^

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
umbrapolaris said:
The advantage in Vietnam, is the phone supermarket root the phone for you, even the brand support office may do it for you ^^

Whoa, never seen that happen before. That's different.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
@Detection and McLovin
I tried The default one, dolphin, firefox, opera and maxthon but I keep switching to the default one, but I am thinking of another switch to dolphin.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I used to use Dolphin and I like it but after once it kept crashing on my phone I decided to stick with Opera. You should be able to get the mini of the Dolphin browser as well.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Firefox Nightly for Android is great in my opinion, I use it on a Samsung Galaxy S2 and it's easy to use and browse websites. The default browser is way too basic for my needs and is childish.

The stable version of Firefox for Android is horrible compared to the new Nightly. Should give it a run. :) I also like Dolphin HD and Opera Mini is good for mobile internet plans as it compresses all received data and images therefor saving bandwidth, But if you're just using your home wifi network, Forget Opera, Firefox Nightly and Dolphin are much better.

I'm not sure if the Avast Web guard works with it tho, You won't exactly need it anyway, Just don't install .apk files from un-trusted sources, Check the access permissions the apk has and always check it against VirusTotal.

I refuse to root the Galaxy as it renders the warranty & support useless and breaches the phone contract, 24 month contract so I won't be rooting anytime soon.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MrXidus said:
I also like Dolphin HD and Opera Mini is good for mobile internet plans as it compresses all received data and images therefor saving bandwidth, But if you're just using your home wifi network, Forget Opera, Firefox Nightly and Dolphin are much better.

That is a reason why that I am currently using Opera Mini, because at TAFE I can't use Opera Mini because of the network issue I have, I use Dolphin instead.

MrXidus said:
I refuse to root the Galaxy as it renders the warranty & support useless and breaches the phone contract, 24 month contract so I won't be rooting anytime soon.

Another reason why I have not done that as well.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does Android not supply upgrades to the latest version?

cdawg786

Dec 27, 2011
Have you tried the chrome browser for android? It's pretty fast on my transformer tablet, oweverit does not support flash.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well rooting devices where similar to Jailbreak like from side effect too since its operated by a third party application.

So its a matter of awareness to accept the consequences it be.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.