My computer defence system

dbz

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 29, 2014
My computer had never been infected by any virus or malware, I'm very much confident in my security software config.:cool: When i surf the web i always turn on my Shadow Defender so that if i came across any trouble i can easily go back to my normal state with just a reboot. I always love to test new software's, for that i use VirtualBox which i think is awesome.;) :rolleyes:

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Question : why would you use the Ultimate version of Windows 7 if you only run it in a 32-bits version ? I guess its because you have low specs ? And then, are you fully using Ultimate ? Or you're just being bloated by all these services and processes that you don't use ?

Reactions: Oxygen

jen900

Level 4
Verified
Aug 24, 2014
My computer had never been infected by any virus or malware, I'm very much confident in my security software config.:cool: When i surf the web i always turn on my Shadow Defender so that if i came across any trouble i can easily go back to my normal state with just a reboot. I always love to test new software's, for that i use VirtualBox which i think is awesome.;) :rolleyes:
Nice config but I prefer a 64bit Os if your using VMware Anyway

Reactions: dbz
D

Deleted member 21043

Thanks for sharing your config ;)

One suggestion:
If your using 32-bit Windows, this must be due to your specs? If your specs are low I would recommend using a lower version of Windows 7 (Home Premium, or even Starter) because it should be lighter as it's using less as it hasn't got all the other features the Ultimate has. You could also disable features to make it even faster. However, if you have high specs I recommend moving to 64-bit. When I say "high specs", I mean more RAM than the minimum that can be used on a 32-bit OS.

If you are using Windows 7 Starter, the limit of RAM is 2gb so if you have more than 2gb do not use Windows 7 Starter 32-bit (not sure about 64, I would say it would be same as other versions for x64 on the limit). For Windows 7 Home Premium the limit on x86 is 4gb and the max is 16gb and for all other versions above it (e.g. Ultimate, Professional) the highest is 192gb RAM for x64 however for x86 it is 4gb RAM also so if you have more than 4gb RAM on your PC I recommend switching to x86 for more use of your specs.

EDIT: With @Cowpipe reply, I fully agree. Being a user of Firefox and not using the recommended plugin, Firefox is constantly crashing. The plugin is helpful and I recommend you should also use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dbz

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
If you're using Internet Explorer, I would advise you to update to the latest stable version (Internet Explorer 10 or later) to take advantage of the new memory protection features. Disable Java in your browser (see here), this will again, greatly reduce the risk of infection.

I would recommend dumping Adblock Plus due to it's memory hogging tendencies, an alternative lightweight adblocker for Firefox such as Bluhell Firewall will be much lighter on your system.

Finally, to get Firefox running much faster, fix those darn memory leaks and prevent crashing, I'd recommend you install the free Firemin program, which put simply, calls an API every few seconds to cause Firefox to release unused memory. I've been using it for a few months now with great success, Firefox staring at 4MB (one tab) instead of 150MB (one tab) and I have recommended it to users here previously without complaints :)

As @Aura and @jen900 pointed out, you should really consider switching to 64 Bit (x64) if your hardware will allow it. Windows 7 Ultimate is optimized for 64 bit and the 32 bit release is more for compatibility than anything, particularly the RAM limit of 4GB on IA-32, in my experience running Windows 7 with 4GB of RAM is cutting it fine, particularly if you're using heavy duty applications such as Photoshop or if you do a lot of multitasking.

Anyway, the rest of your config looks fine to me, thanks for sharing with us! :)

dbz

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 29, 2014
Thanks a lot I really appreciate your awesome advice, i don't know whether i can switch to 64 Bit OS as i only have 4Gb of RAM and an i3 processor :( But i have changed all the browser config. as you recommended...and I'm very happy with it:). And i Don't use Photoshop very often it's only for simple editing purposes.

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Winx32 isn't so bad. Of course for a gaming PC I recommend x64, but 4GB RAM + a decent processor (I use Core 2 Duo E7400 yet I can run Skyrim with forty mods, on High settings, with Climates of Tamriel and other few graphical mods installed) should be fine even for games.

dbz

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 29, 2014
Nah not hijacked, he's been learning and its good as you corrected me ;)

Anyway, from your other reply to me, I think everyone hates it and doesn't want to do it because its the lowest level from machine code and the tutorials are awful, especially to people who want to learn. They want to jump in and learn but you can't do that, you have to learn the facts etc and how it all works beforehand, whereas with .NET you can just drag controls on simple as that... I like C after Assembly, a lot more than C++. What about you?

Yeah, I forgot about pointers too :( I do admit that I learnt that one with C because like I said, assembly tutorials I don't think are good... 16-bit I'm talking about...

Aw c'mon, .NET I've mastered, but it gives me headache. I don't know why so many programmers like it. It's too...high-level. And it's not High-Level as in Python...it just feels I am "programming" in English.

Beside Java gives you more portability, and is more beautiful.

I've NO IDEA what you guys are saying o_O

dbz

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 29, 2014
Question : why would you use the Ultimate version of Windows 7 if you only run it in a 32-bits version ? I guess its because you have low specs ? And then, are you fully using Ultimate ? Or you're just being bloated by all these services and processes that you don't use ?

Sorry for the delay @Aura :(
For your first question 'Why i use Win7 32 Bit version' , its because when i got this laptop this version of windows was already installed in it. This laptop was gifted to me by my brother when i joined my CA (Chartered Accountant) course, since I'm a student i don't have enough money to buy a 64 Bit version of windows, that's the only reason I'm using this version of windows.:mad:
And about my specifications- Processor: Intel Core i3-2370, RAM: 4GB DDR4, 500 GB HDD, Graphics: NVidia GT630M 1GB GFX.
and I'm not experiencing any kind of slow down because of the services and processes on my system.:)

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Sorry for the delay @Aura :(
For your first question 'Why i use Win7 32 Bit version' , its because when i got this laptop this version of windows was already installed in it. This laptop was gifted to me by my brother when i joined my CA (Chartered Accountant) course, since I'm a student i don't have enough money to buy a 64 Bit version of windows, that's the only reason I'm using this version of windows.:mad:
And about my specifications- Processor: Intel Core i3-2370, RAM: 4GB DDR4, 500 GB HDD, Graphics: NVidia GT630M 1GB GFX.
and I'm not experiencing any kind of slow down because of the services and processes on my system.:)

You know, you could easily download the legitimate Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bits .iso from the web (Microsoft have them on their servers at Digital River Content, clean and legitimate), then grab your product key from the current installation (with ProduKey, by Nirsoft) and reinstall Windows 64-bits. Then, simply enter that product key to activate the copy. However, seeing that you have Windows 7 Ultimate x86 on a laptop with such specs, I doubt that this copy of Windows is legitimate, hence I doubt it would work here.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.