shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hi, you know, you don't have very much security over there.
Considering the fact that you mention a recent malware attack, I would beef up the security, if I was you.
Just ask the folks here for some ideas how you can do it without slowing down your system, they will be happy to help.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
The strength of Windows 10 Security includes UAC,Smartscreen,Defender & Windows Firewall.Taking away UAC and or Smartscreen diminishes its effectiveness and protection.
I would strongly suggest enabling these.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
I'd definitely enable the UAC! I know some people might find it annoying, but it's there for a very good reason! It stops programs from gaining access to privileges that they shouldn't be accessing without your consent, especially if that program is untrustworthy! :eek:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I would suggest to accompany WD with at least one 2nd_opinion scanner like as Zemana AntiMalware (free is good enough, but only on demand), HitmanPro (paid, 30-days-trial once you cleanup something), Emsisoft Emergency Kit (free) or Norton Power Eraser (not my 1st choice, had quite some FP, but free).

FrankS

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 22, 2015
My advices for your "Security" config:
1. (as exterminator20 already mentioned) Enable UAC at least to minimum - default till maximum preferred.
2. (as exterminator20 already mentioned) Enable Windows SmartScreen to default/recommended.
3. Hold your system (especially Windows, Windows Defender, Browser and Extensions) up to date
4. Download and install any second opinion malware-scanner to scan your system regularly without realtime-protection (recommended: Zemana AntiMalware (Free), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Free), HitmanPro (30 days trial - commercial)
5. Don't save your passwords in any unencrypted text file or on your browser without setting up a master password. Use a pencil and paper to write it down or use a trusted and reputable password manager.
6. Replace Adblock by uBlock Origin (recommended) - it's also for free but with much more security.
7. Do regularly backups of your system, by using Microsoft OneDrive or any 3rd party Backup-Software (e.g. O&O Disk Image, Acronis TrueImage)

If you have any questions, how to do all this steps, feel free to ask.

To other users:
If I have forgotten something, completes me.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.