My Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Hi, I am a new forum member so hello to fellow members.

I would be interested to receive comments on my current set-up with any suggestions to remove protection which is considered unnecessary, add additional protection and/or modify what I have.

I also run Secunia PSI Free quite frequently to check for program updates

I generally use IE within Sandboxie(recently added) for everyday browsing and Avast SafeZone for online banking.

As Sandboxie is not compatible with Trusteer Rapport, I installed keyscrambler free and a trial of Spyshelter for added protection but I am not sure if this is good enough when paying for things in a sandboxed browser.

Any guidance/recommendations would be gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks

Andy

Malware Maniac

Level 1
May 14, 2012
Secunia PSI is a third party software update checker not a on demand scanner MBAM is an on demand scanner, unless if you buy it.
For on demand scanners I would recommend Emsisoft Emergency Kit, or Hitman Pro.

For add-ons for IE I would recommend Bitdefender TrafficLight or WOT

D

Deleted member 178

Hi, welcome aboard,

You have a good config, AIS helped by MBAM Pro is solid. If my memory is good, Avast Sandbox is policy-based , not a full virtualization like Sandboxie, so normally you can use it alongside Sandboxie without conflicts.

Winpatrol plus and Spyshelter are not needed; you can have all the features of Winpatrol Plus for free by using free apps, Spyshelter is also useless because you use Keyscrambler inside Sandboxie, so even you caught a Keylogger, all datas will be encrypted by KS and it will be deleted when you close SB.

Do you have a backup software?

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Malware Maniac said:
Secunia PSI is a third party software update checker not a on demand scanner MBAM is an on demand scanner, unless if you buy it.
For on demand scanners I would recommend Emsisoft Emergency Kit, or Hitman Pro.

For add-ons for IE I would recommend Bitdefender TrafficLight or WOT

Apologies Malware Maniac, just edited thread regarding on demand scanners.

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
Hi, welcome aboard,

You have a good config, AIS helped by MBAM Pro is solid. If my memory is good, Avast Sandbox is policy-based , not a full virtualization like Sandboxie, so normally you can use it alongside Sandboxie without conflicts.

Winpatrol plus and Spyshelter are not needed; you can have all the features of Winpatrol Plus for free by using free apps, Spyshelter is also useless because you use Keyscrambler inside Sandboxie, so even you caught a Keylogger, all datas will be encrypted by KS and it will be deleted when you close SB.

Thanks Umbra Corp, yes I use Backup4all and save to an external hard drive. I also run Macrium Reflect too for imaging every now and then

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
Hi, welcome aboard,

Thanks Umbra Corp, yes I use Backup4all and save to an external hard drive. I also run Macrium Reflect too for imaging every now and then.
I have already paid for WinPatrol so I will leave that running.

D

Deleted member 178

AMD1 said:

quite understandable :D

btw, you can call me just Umbra ;) (the "Corp." is from a joke from fellows members ^^)

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
AMD1 said:

quite understandable :D

btw, you can call me just Umbra ;) (the "Corp." is from a joke from fellows members ^^)

OK Umbra.

Would it be advisable to upgrade to Keyscrambler Pro or Premium do you think ?

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
Just paid for Keyscrambler Premium so hopefully I should be covered.

Have removed Spyshelter too - it was leaving quite a few decisions to the user to decide which is not good for a novice like me !

I have Avast Webrep running but will also run WOT as well.

What covers me for screen capture and that type of thing ?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Glad that you have a backup option, only thing is that you could add Ghostery, Adblock Plus and Lastpass to Chrome :)

AMD1

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Aug 21, 2012
McLovin said:
Glad that you have a backup option, only thing is that you could add Ghostery, Adblock Plus and Lastpass to Chrome :)

Adblock plus added.

I have Roboform so no need for Lastpass.

Will look into Ghostery

D

Deleted member 178

AMD1 said:
What covers me for screen capture and that type of thing ?

Classic Anti-keyloggers like Spyshelter, Zemana Anti-logger, etc...but normally your AV is supposed to detect those kind of threats also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.