Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time security
ESET Premium
Heuristics set to deep, device control & document protection enabled, liveguard enabled; automatic-submissions disabled, password protected settings
Firewall security
About custom security
ESET Premium Firewall + Block echo/ping requests, block old smb protocols
Glasswire Pro - For monitoring network changes & servers connected to
Periodic malware scanners
ESET Premium - Automatic
HitmanPro - Manual
AdwCleaner - Manual + for nostalgia
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Brave - Aggressive anti-tracking enabled, block fingerprinting strict, all pings disabled - (Everyday/main browser)
Microsoft Edge - Only for Netflix, Twitch, Streaming etc. (Only browser I know of that supports true 4K/Full HD)
Extensions: Ublock Origin (Hardened) - Bitwarden - (for both browsers) (BetterTTV locked to Twitch url only for Edge)
Secure DNS
Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) added via ipv4 and ipv6 network settings
Desktop VPN
NordVPN - NordLynx auto-connect on startup, Killapp enabled for browsers, Darkweb Monitor on
Password manager
Bitwarden Premium
Maintenance tools
Glary Utilities Pro
O&O ShutUp
O&O AppBuster
WinaeroTweaker
File and Photo backup
IceDrive Pro & Cryptomator (Cloud storage, mostly historic/not-in use stuff, also work stuff)
ESET Premium Storage (To keep current in use documents/photos/files secured)
Encrypted External SSD (With VeraCrypt) (Historic documents/photos stored on it - plug & play into my PC when things need adding, then encrypted/locked when not in use)
System recovery
Fresh install of W11 > ESET > NordVPN > use of O&O ShutUp, O&O AppBuster & WinaeroTweaker > install Brave browser > Ninite (for mass installation) > install any missing programs > Cryptomator/Ice Drive for document/photo/video recovery > turn of useless services in msconfig > few more optimisations for gaming > done
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Sharing and receiving files and torrents
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
Computer specs
i7 8700k
ASUS Strix 2080ti
Corsair Dominator 32GB
x2 512GB M.2 SSD (RAID Config) for OS/Programs
x1 1TB SSD for games
Notable changes
Using Cryptomator to lock files/folders prior to uploading/using Ice Drive.
Using VeraCrypt to encrypt external SSD for storage of old photos/documents etc.
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

Stargazer_Steve

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 2, 2022
Hey awesome people!

This is my config that I am currently using. I would love some feedback and suggestions regarding anything you recommend I change, remove or add!

I predominately use my PC for gaming and browsing/unknown sites.

I have two main things which I'd love a little advice and insight towards if possible.

Edit: Now getting my sister a laptop (she's deaf and has severe learning difficulties, and is very click friendly), so will need to setup a secure user friendly config on the new laptop. Going to try silversurfer's if they don't mind, any advice/guidance on programs/software etc. is greatly appreciated!

My other concern is my backup method. I feel it's secure and okay (which I hope it is lol), but as mentioned entirely tedious and not done in real-time. Is it genuinely recommended to use a live-backup program/software or can I live without it? And how secure/user friendly are they? If so, any brand recommendations would be awesome thanks!

Much appreciated & thank you for your time!

Last edited:

Stargazer_Steve

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 2, 2022
Update:

1. I've just ordered a laptop for my sister for Christmas, I managed to do it in split payments, hopefully she'll be happy :D - I think I'm going to try silversurfer's laptop config on it (if they don't mind), with only a few minimal tweaks to prevent modifications to the system & security.
  2. Switched from Kaspersky Premium to ESET Premium (trial ran out on Kaspersky, purchased ESET for more of a minimal system footprint).
  3. Still undecided on backup methods/software, but I'll lurk in this forum and read through some guides/reviews!

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Nice setup.

Sister's laptop I would just use Windows Defender + Hard Configurator firewall rules + uBlock or Adguard or NextDns and you're done and last maybe add a vpn. No stress setup.

Your backup method is good (7zip is fine) but surely it must get tedious backing up several directories at once? I would consider using VeraCrypt or Cryptomator to encrypt folders as I personally trust both programs more than 7zip.

NordVPN - NordLynx auto-connect on startup, Killapp enabled for browsers, Darkweb Monitor on

Darkweb monitor = lol. Do they seriously offer this?

Reactions: Stargazer_Steve

Stargazer_Steve

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 2, 2022
Nice setup.

Sister's laptop I would just use Windows Defender + Hard Configurator firewall rules + uBlock or Adguard or NextDns and you're done and last maybe add a vpn. No stress setup.

Your backup method is good (7zip is fine) but surely it must get tedious backing up several directories at once? I would consider using VeraCrypt or Cryptomator to encrypt folders as I personally trust both programs more than 7zip.

Darkweb monitor = lol. Do they seriously offer this?

That setup sounds really good and light on resources. I will defs try that first and then see how it goes! I was probably overthinking about her security too much, as I guess it's not as bad as it was back in the MSN messenger/BearShare/Limewire days lol. I lost count of the amount of times I had to resolve stuff for her, good old SUPERAntiSpyware to the rescue!

Yeah it's definitely tedious! I just looked at both of the ones you suggested, Cyptomator looks awesome, downloading and trying it now.

Haha yeah. It's a little gimmicky, but relatively useful to turn on and forget about. I use it for monitoring if websites have had data breaches exposing my throw away passwords/personal data etc.

Stargazer_Steve

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 2, 2022
Update for Backup:

IceDrive Pro & Cryptomator - (Cloud storage, work stuff, shared files with my partner & misc)
ESET Premium Storage - (Secure vault, to keep current in use documents/photos/files secured)
Encrypted External SSD (With VeraCrypt) - (Historic documents/photos stored on it - plug & play into my PC when things need adding, then encrypted/locked when not in use)

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.