My configuration - normalizerx

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Updated my config - now using Trend Micro IS 2013 with Webroot Secureanywhere Essentials. So far no conflicts.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Great to see another user using Trend. :) May I ask what are the settings you used?

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
McLovin said:
Great to see another user using Trend. :) May I ask what are the settings you used?

Actually I'm on default settings with only Firewall booster set to enable (default it is unticked). I like Trend, was beta testing the new version but it caused memory leaks in Firefox while being on for some time. No such issue with the final version though. The only problem I have been continuously having with Trend (and the previous version as well) is my pings rise like 10 times. Nevertheless I don't feel any lag in browsing.
What I can tell for sure is that the 2013 version has a way better detection rate compared to version 2012.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Hi, I haven't posted for quite a while though I visit MalwareTips many times a day to keep me informed on the many interesting subjects here. I'm on Windows 8 Pro 32 bit, been trying quite a few set-ups and currently I have settled (for the time being) on this. Avast is installed with the main modules only, nothing of the newly introduced stuff.

P

Plexx

I would not opt for avast! beta. reason being anything that goes wrong, you are in for it.

Beta software is best tested on either Junk PC or VM.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Biozfear said:
I would not opt for avast! beta. reason being anything that goes wrong, you are in for it.

Beta software is best tested on either Junk PC or VM.

You are right, I admit. I thought about that for some time but was tempted and so far the first 24 hours it is running really well and smooth. As I mentioned I installed only the shields that are really relevant for me to protection, I don't have browser protection, software updater, nothing of the newly introduced features. So I hope with the long developed and mature modules, I'll be fine. Let's hope everything stays this way. I carefully tweaked Outpost to allow the Avast processes unlimited access to Internet and the system as well as excluded Outpost's folders and drivers in Avast.

P

Plexx

normalizerx said:
You are right, I admit. I thought about that for some time but was tempted and so far the first 24 hours it is running really well and smooth. As I mentioned I installed only the shields that are really relevant for me to protection, I don't have browser protection, software updater, nothing of the newly introduced features. So I hope with the long developed and mature modules, I'll be fine. Let's hope everything stays this way. I carefully tweaked Outpost to allow the Avast processes unlimited access to Internet and the system as well as excluded Outpost's folders and drivers in Avast.

It's not a matter of other software being compatible, its avast! on its own were the danger lies. Even if you install current shields as opposed to new features there are still issues.

Have a look at the latest build's fix:

- BSODs & Webshield crashes fixed
- Problems with Security Center fixed
- Stability issues with Outlook plugin solved
- UI might hang sometimes during connecting to avast! account
- After facebook registration setup might crash so reboot is required to start avast! service
- During softrial gui is not correctly updated

Note that there is already posts about streaming updates not working for example.

Also, it is to note that even the stable build of avast! 7 on windows 8 had more bugs than anything. That aside, avast since release of version 7, even on stable builds has more problems than anything. Just have a look at their forums carefully (ignoring the useless and pointless posts but random users towards valid problematic posts). You will also hardly see any decent posts resolving issues and usually the most preferred approach by users is : Uninstall avast! and call it a day, unlike other forums such as Wilder's Webroot/ESET, BitDefender (up to a certain extend), Emsisoft, Norton and Kaspersky for example.

Now let alone a public beta... most users will not even know the risk and blindly use it due to being a long waiting solution, specially for Windows 8 users since we all know how "well" v7 performs on Windows 8...

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
I agree, all these are valid points. Fortunately, speaking only for my PC, not encouraging anyone to do so, none of the above issues are present. It is registered fine with Windows Action Center, not a single BSOD or crash of any module so far, I don't use Outlook, so the problem woth the plug-in doesn't concern me, no any hanging of the UI, streaming updates and reputation services working OK (I even received a bad reputation file warning). It is a nice surprise for me too, as I also have had issues sometimes in the past with Avast and hadn't used it for probably more than a year.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Removed Outpost Pro and Avast free and replaced it with Avast IS 8. It is working for almost a week flawlessly on my Windows 8 PC, if I exclude a small UI bug.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can try, it's something I'm recommending: HTTPS Everywhere - An extension that encrypts your communications with many major websites, making your browsing more secure.

It has zero-impact on PC performance and web browser, so no need to worry about any slow downs.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Earth said:
You can try, it's something I'm recommending: HTTPS Everywhere - An extension that encrypts your communications with many major websites, making your browsing more secure.

It has zero-impact on PC performance and web browser, so no need to worry about any slow downs.

Thank you, probably will try it out of curiosity at least.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Well, seems I can't stand the urge to change now and then:
uninstalled Avast for the time being (I had zero issues with it), wanted to try Online Armor Premium since I had not used it much after the Tall Emu days. So far no problems with the combo in my config.

P.S. I have 2 questions regarding Online Armor:
1. Can it be set to default deny any unknown programs? In the past exiting the GUI used to set it to block any new process from running.
2. Something a bit strange for me - it didn't recognize many of the Windows 8 processes on initial scan (configuration wizard) and they were left as "ask", not trusted and a pop-up appears on running them - for ex. it asked me whether I want to allow notepad.exe (OA flagged it as unknown). Is this normal, does it need time to build up a Win 8 processes database?

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Hi, guys. I have a question regarding compatibility between ESS 6.0 and Webroot Secureanywhere on Windows 8. I'm asking you because the last time I tried this combo, it was a disaster - the PC booted OK but was unresponsive, could not execute commands under Admin, could not change settings to boot into Safe mode. May be this happened because I had WSA installed first and then ESET but I'm not sure. So please if anyone is using this combo, share your experience.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Just bumping in to check. Anyone that could share experience using ESS 6.0 and Webroot Secureanywhere on Windows 8? I really would like to use this combo (was perfect when I was on Windows 7) but having in mind my disastrous experience a couple of months ago...

D

Deleted member 178

normalizerx said:
Just bumping in to check. Anyone that could share experience using ESS 6.0 and Webroot Secureanywhere on Windows 8? I really would like to use this combo (was perfect when I was on Windows 7) but having in mind my disastrous experience a couple of months ago...

i used them separately but didn't tried together on win8. install ESS first, set the HIPS as learning, install webroot, set WSA in the exclusions of ESS.

normalizerx

Level 2
Thread author
Oct 9, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
normalizerx said:

i used them separately but didn't tried together on win8. install ESS first, set the HIPS as learning, install webroot, set WSA in the exclusions of ESS.

Thank you for taking time responding. Will try, last time Webroot was installed first and after installing ESS 6.0 thins became really bad - nothing could be started with Admin rights, not a chance to boot into safe mode, lag, OS could not be used at all.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.