My Current Security Setup | Cyber-A-Hunters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyber-A-Hunters

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 7, 2017
Hello guys and gals, so I was going to plan on doing a video on my channel about this topic but I just wanted to share how I have my security setup on this computer. you are welcome to test this configuration and this setup isn't attended for everyone since it's designed to fit what I preferred.

BitDefender Total Security 2018 (The AV I Use)
The reason I like BitDefender and use it as my AV it because I find their signatures are one of the best in the industry. They also have a firewall which I prefer over Windows Firewall, Don't get me wrong I believe Windows Firewall is great but I prefer to have more control over applications that I want to allow and BitDefender Firewall also provide Stealth Mode and Block Port Scans which indeed help to protect you on the network and remain hidden from other devices. I also love their Safe File Module but I must admit it can be a nuisance at times if you are installing certain applications or load up a game like Rocket League the first time with BitDefender installed on your system. However, I love it because, in the event that BitDefender does happen to miss let's say like ransomware, your files will be untouched by the Ransomware and prevent any modification to take place in your documents or photos. I'm aware BitDefender isn't exactly the lightest AV product in terms of memory usage, but I recommend it.

Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware (Second Line Of Defense for Ransomware)
So You guys can tell already that my setup is basically against fighting ransomware primary, Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware doesn't have an update button so its a cloud base product for businesses. But from recent testing I've done on this product, it actually does prevent malware infections as well so which is why I keep it as a second line of defense. Of course, this can't replace a product like Zemana Or Malwarebytes as a second opinion scanner because this doesn't even have a scan button. There almost isn't anything you can change on this product but it does a great job providing you a second line of defense.

Secure-A-Plus (Second Line Of Defense Whitelisting Application)
So you can maybe tell now where I got the name Cyber-A-Hunters from lol, I recently only turned to Secure-A-Plus do to the fact that VooDoo Shield was preventing me from accessing some application remotely even when I put certain commands or applications on whitelist, the program will still block them and prevent me from using let's say Hitfilm Express which is my second video editor I use or Prey which is my tracking software for my laptop. Which Secure-A-Plus I don't have a program whitelisting anything and I can remove anything from whitelisting if I ever need too. This program also comes with a universal AV which uses 12 AV engine like BitDefender and ESET. This program also uses analysis from Virustotal which can be a very big help if you don't trust a program you just recently downloaded from the internet. Basically, this does all the things that VooDoo Shield can (minus its sandbox and 50+ AV engines from VirusTotal) But I will recommend using this product if you are having problems with applications like me.

So those are the security products I use to protect my computer, I mean I do have ESET installed on another laptop and have a 3 device license for it and change AV but I really love BitDefender Safe File Module. So to finish up, I will list the rest of my security setup as far as window settings go.

Second Layer Web Filtering
K9 Web Protection from Blue Coat

SmartScreen Is Turn on

UAC is on default

Window Update is Turn On

Weekly Security Scanning Programs
Zemana
Hitman Pro
Emsisoft Emergency Kit

If you guys have any suggestions please let me know, like I said anyone is welcome to test this configuration out and in the future, I had been thinking about switching to Emsisoft but I'm going to wait on next year to decide if I actually will make the switch. I know Emsisoft is one of the best if not the best but AV products do change from time to time so I will wait for the time being. But again thank you guys for welcoming me to the forum and hopefully, I will see you in the comment section of one of my videos. :)

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
HI and thanks for sharing your config! please overthink the following changes , set uac to max. add https everywhere and privacy badger to your browsers and get macrium reflect free as your backup utillity. :) you can set your preferred search engine to duckduckgo or startpage.com for more privacy.

Cyber-A-Hunters

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 7, 2017
HI and thanks for sharing your config! please overthink the following changes , set uac to max. add https everywhere and privacy badger to your browsers and get macrium reflect free as your backup utillity. :) you can set your preferred search engine to duckduckgo or startpage.com for more privacy.

Thank you for the suggestions! I've actually used macrium reflect free, haven't used it in a while but I certainly do like the product. Not a big fan of duckduckgo unless I'm using a tor browser. I will definitely take a look of all the other products you have mentioned thank you so much! :)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I'm not sure whether You will find some issues with KAR and BTS2018 + SAP... I guess (and probably) BTS has its own anti-ransomware technology and maybe it can be an overkill to have them all running... let's see what some other "power users" have to say about it :)

You may also consider to add HTTPS Everywhere add-on to Your browser, and use Macrium Reflect Free or Amoei solutions to backup.

Anyway I think is enough secure, thanks for share :)

Cyber-A-Hunters

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 7, 2017
I'm not sure whether You will find some issues with KAR and BTS2018 + SAP... I guess (and probably) BTS has its own anti-ransomware technology and maybe it can be an overkill to have them all running... let's see what some other "power users" have to say about it :)

You may also consider to add HTTPS Everywhere add-on to Your browser, and use Macrium Reflect Free or Amoei solutions to backup.

Anyway I think is enough secure, thanks for share :)

I'm not going to lie to you @harlan4096, I've actually been told before that my set up was overkill lol, I actually think its overkill as well but I keep the KAR tool because it also does a good job preventing malware as well in recent test. I've actually tested this setup before and never really had a issue during testing. And I've actually taken some of the advice you guys give me and I added Macrium Reflect and Privacy Badger into Chrome. Thank you guys for the suggestion and again lease let me know if you guys find anything that maybe I can improve in this security configuration. :)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Nice config, thanks for sharing :)

Good tips are already in place but another small tip (if you already do not do this): it is very important to save a copy of your files/OS images, also on external/offline support to avoid any possible ransomware can access and encrypt these files (fairly remote possibility by seeing your security setup) or more simply because of hardware failures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.