Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
===============================================
oD5c65x.png

SAMSUNG Series 3 NP300E5C-A02US Notebook
===============================================
Ad Blocking:
Adguard Premium |
Hosts File (see below) | uBlock (Chrome Extension)
Anti-Adware: Unchecky
Cleaning Utility: CCleaner Free

Computer Monitor: Gecko Monitor (For keeping track of my kids activities)
CPU Optimizer:
Process Tamer Portable
CryptoLocker Prevention: CryptoPrevent Free
Disk Defragmenter: Auslogics Disk Defrag Free

DNS Server/Changer: Norton ConnectSafe | DNS Angel
File Archivers: Winrar | 7-Zip
Hosts File: Hostsman (MVPS | hpHosts Ad & tracking servers | Peter Lowe's Adservers List | Cameleon | MDL)

Memory Optimizer: CleanMem
Messengers: ooVoo | Skype
Music Player: Media Player Classic
PDF Reader: Foxit
Process Monitor: Windows Default

Software Updater: FileHippo Updater
Startup Manager: WinPatrol Plus
System Temp Monitor: Core Temp Portable
Uninstaller: IObit Portable
Video Player: Media Player Classic
Web Filters: Adguard Malware Filter | Avira Browser Safety (Chrome Extension) | WOT (Chrome Extension)
Windows Search Alternative: Everything

Windows Update: Turned on but lets me choose what updates I want to download & install

Last edited:
Reactions: yigido

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
lol...Is it good enough for a teen that is a novice and could care less about security?

Last edited:

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
How about making the account as User only or Poweruser at best?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Great to hear you managed to upgrade away from Windows XP. So how about upgrading to Windows 8.1? From the Windows Store it should automatically update everything for you including the Update 1 package. Then just reboot. All settings, programs and files will be saved.

Keep UAC enabled on default to prevent users from changing system settings, it's not difficult to make them understand. Also you'll need it it you want to upgrade Windows, or perform a System Reset / Refresh.

Reactions: Overkill

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Definitely enable UAC.On Windows 8 I found ESET Nod32 & Smart Security to run great without bugs or conflict.

Reactions: Overkill

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
This was very touching, ..and far less costly than a new car!:p;)
The new (spelled o-l-d) car we're giving our 25 year old son is a:eek: 1991 Nissan 240 SX. It runs strongly if not fuel efficiently, and it comes from "The Time Before Air Bags". We've patched all (security) leaks, and will shod it with new tires while praying he'll stay safe!:rolleyes: Likewise, your daughter will make her lap top her very own. Everything she uses, downloads, installs, and forms an interest with, shall develop her computer habits & on-line routine; and this has a great deal in common with how a young person experiences driving.
I have a vision of your supporting her discovery in reading about apps like Sandboxie http://sandboxie.com/ , and looking over the pictures. Through introducing her to safe sites with both fun information and secure downloads like http://www.softpedia.com/ , she'll be expanding her knowledge & independence even as we know;) whom shall be the first one she comes looking foro_O as soon as something doesn't work!:D

Last edited:

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I have decided to install ERP (pw protected) mainly to keep her from installing ADWARE/CRAPWARE... other than that Windows default security will be enabled and I will enable UAC once i'm finished installing and configuring.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Well ERP isn't working right, so I have un-installed it until I hear back from the developer so in the meantime I have installed 360 TS and sbie.

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I had my first bsod in ages due to sbie and 360 conflicting, so I un-installed sbie and will see how 360 does by it'self.
BTW, does anyone know how good the sandbox is in 360?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.