My father almost fell for a phishing scam... :(

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Yes, he opened a site, it looks very similar to the official site. They asked him for his Full name, year of birth, phone number and maybe the postal code. He called me after submitting the details to that site, I looked at the reputation and then I found that it has a very poor WOT reputation, but I dont know what happened to WOT that time for not popping up with a warning. Fortunately I caught him before performing the payment.

What I learnt: 1) Never let a novice user use Google search, he clicked on an ad, which Adblock Plus did not remove too.
2) I should never study again when my father is on the PC :p

How risky to us are the details he submitted?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
RE: My father almost fell for a pishing scam... :(

No, you should teach your father about Internet Threats and Risks.

So continue to study and with the advice you've given to your father, he should be safer while surfing the net.

Or tell him to ask you before submitting details.

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
RE: My father almost fell for a pishing scam... :(

i dont think the submitted details will be too risky but your dad's cell phone is sure to be hit by spam like "your mobile no. has 480,000 GBP please call xxxxxxxx or mail xxxxxxxxxx with your details etc." + just check if you are not storing any cookies from that site!!

InternetChicken

Jul 16, 2012
How risky to us are the details he submitted?

well with the postal code If Your father lives in the uk , I would expect Spam mail by the ton,
And you would want to change his phone number , or he will recive lot of Spam calls Eg,,
( Hello MR Your dads name and post code,, We are calling form your bank and we need to check your detials ,, )))

the submitted details arnt too risks , would be different story if the had got Credit Card number,
payment details etc ..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.