.:My FREE Server:.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Got this server from TAFE. Not bad. Still tying to find all the drivers, but getting there. I'm going to use it as website server but I don't know if I could use it as a game server. I have 2 32GB SCSI hard drives, but also going to install Windows Server 2008 r2 SP1.

What do you guys think?

captureslz.png

Specs.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
lol, motherboard is colder than the weather outside my home. :D

Congratulations :)

BTW, what is TAFE? Many times I hear you talking about it, but I don't know what it is. :p

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
BTW, what is TAFE? Many times I hear you talking about it, but I don't know what it is. :p

A quick Google search for TAFE showed this. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_and_further_education

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
lol, motherboard is colder than the weather outside my home. :D

Congratulations :)

It is colder the weather outside here as well.

MrXidus said:
A quick Google search for TAFE showed this. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technical_and_further_education

Exactly. Finished that for this year.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Could also use it for grid or fold, if you're not going to host your own website. could try to see if it's suitable to be a gaming server. depends on the games.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
In what ways can you use Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1?

I'm asking because I have Windows Server 2008 R2 (disc image) on my laptop, but have no use for it.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:
In what ways can you use Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1?

I'm asking because I have Windows Server 2008 R2 (disc image) on my laptop, but have no use for it.

Was hoping to put Windows Server r2 on but not sure if the games that I want to host will be supported.

V

Vextor

Good server, I wonder what you will use it for.
All I can think of is having like a game community, like TF2 cause it's free and everybody could run it.
But it's your choice.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
At the moment I was going to use to host a website but I am not sure what kind of games I could host it with. I am having trouble find the graphic drivers.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
McLovin said:
At the moment I was going to use to host a website but I am not sure what kind of games I could host it with. I am having trouble find the graphic drivers.

do you have possibility to add a dedicated gpu? I am sure that is a GMA900 or similar gpu. It can be that you need to drivers for the chipset.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Valentin N said:
Do you have possibility to add a dedicated gpu? I am sure that is a GMA900 or similar gpu. It can be that you need to drivers for the chipset.

I don't know all I have is the inbuilt one that came with the server.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
McLovin said:
Valentin N said:
Do you have possibility to add a dedicated gpu? I am sure that is a GMA900 or similar gpu. It can be that you need to drivers for the chipset.

I don't know all I have is the inbuilt one that came with the server.

could you provide the link to the server?

pcjunklist

Level 1
Dec 28, 2011
you would be better off installing a linux server distro on that since 2008r2 will just sputter. I had it installed on an old server with 4gb of ram and it was painfully slow and + with old scsi drives it will make it worse. Multi nics or a dual port card should be mandatory.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
pcjunklist said:
you would be better off installing a linux server distro on that since 2008r2 will just sputter. I had it installed on an old server with 4gb of ram and it was painfully slow and + with old scsi drives it will make it worse. Multi nics or a dual port card should be mandatory.

I will see, so far I have it setup on one hard drive and it works fine. No slow downs, I currently use it at the moment for a LAN Minecraft Server.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
There are 6 RAM slots that I can use, but I only have 3 GB of the RAM for the server.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
muhammadariif said:
<First time see odd number RAM :blush: Good Configuration +1, how do you get low temperature?

I think it has a huge fan. :D
But I don't know what is a server, let me go and search instead! :lol:

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
muhammadariif said:
<First time see odd number RAM :blush: Good Configuration +1, how do you get low temperature?

I think it has a huge fan. :D
But I don't know what is a server, let me go and search instead! :lol:

Servers mustly depend on passiv cooling but some have some very small fan(40mm or smaller) to make some airflow.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.