System Utilities: CCleaner, IObit Uninstaller
Torrent: uTorrent
Communication: Skype
Video player: KMplayer
Remote control: TeamViewer
Games: Solitaire
CPU Turion 64 X2 TL-56 1800 Mhz
RAM: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM

The laptop (Dell Inspiron 1501) is pretty old and slow, however, it does have an SSD drive instead of old hdd :cool:
It is connected to the internet through TP-Link TL-WR841N Wireless N 300Mbps Router.
My mom's awareness of viruses is obviously below zero level :angel: as, in fact, she started dealing with computers only recently.

I can only manage the PC remotely using TeamViewer.

How can the security of this "dinosaur" be improved without greatly affecting its performance? :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For that case, MSE and Sandboxie is really capable to your Mom :). Just teach her some basic knowledge in dealing for surfing, opening applications and many more.

Also I assume to be set in Limited User Account if none of important changes on the system.

timnik

Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2013
jamescv7 said:
For that case, MSE and Sandboxie is really capable to your Mom :). Just teach her some basic knowledge in dealing for surfing, opening applications and many more.

It sounds like Sandboxie is one of the simplest software. :) Anyway, I'll try it on my laptop first as I've never used it before :blush:

jamescv7 said:
Also I assume to be set in Limited User Account if none of important changes on the system.

Do you mean that I should remove her from administrator group?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Yes removing in the administration group unless necessarily, caused if your Mom is doing surfing and banking then that's could be need.

With limited user account, about most of application couldn't work without the grant of administration.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Personally I would say MSE and Windows Firewall, as she ain't that fast when it comes to computers. Could also add Ghostery to Chrome as it would help in some way.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
I don't like SAS. As suggested by others, use MSE instead. Avira free might be a good choice too, but install it without installing the toolbar.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
SuperAntiSpyware Pro is not a full Antivirus solution you should add a full solution like Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast or Avira.

SuperAntiSpyware Pro is really not that good anymore most free real-time AV's have much better detection.

Your mom needs a secure web browser like Google Chrome or Firefox with adblocking. Ads are one of the major causes of malware infections, block the ads then she can not click on them.

Also if your mom is the type of user who will just click on anything without knowing what she is doing then yes use a limited user account. This will keep her safe from all of the fake alert sites because installers will not run. However if she does need to install or run a new program you will have to go into the Admin account to set it up for her.

If she is willing to learn then Sandboxie might work for her depending on what she uses her laptop for.

Thanks.:D

timnik

Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2013
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
I don't like SAS. As suggested by others, use MSE instead.
McLovin said:
Personally I would say MSE and Windows Firewall, as she ain't that fast when it comes to computers.

If I install MSE then I don't need the SAS at all or can I leave SAS hanging with its real-time protection as well?
I won SAS pro in a contest that's why it's in the configuration list.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
timnik said:
I don't like SAS. As suggested by others, use MSE instead.
McLovin said:
Personally I would say MSE and Windows Firewall, as she ain't that fast when it comes to computers.

If I install MSE then I don't need the SAS at all or can I leave SAS hanging with its real-time protection as well?
I won SAS pro in a contest that's why it's in the configuration list.

That is up to you, but I seriously doubt that SAS Pro would detect anything that MSE would miss. Since this is an older laptop SAS will just add resources that could be used for other processes. The only thing that SAS seems to detect that other miss is tracking cookies. You can simply block tracking cookies with Ghostery, Do Not Track Plus or SpywareBlaster then you want have to worry about having to remove them.

SAS Pro used to be an excellent product but since most free AV's have improved very much and SAS got sold to Support.com, it went downhill big time.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I know this sounds to be a waste but if you could donate it to others. :lol: Honestly even the scanner component would lack on its detection, as from standard majority of Youtube Reviewers; MBAM and HMP are mandatory scanners and continuously on going development for improvements.

timnik

Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2013
jamescv7 said:
I know this sounds to be a waste but if you could donate it to others. :lol:

So that means the risk is donated too. :D

In that case I'm happy to donate this bundle: SAS pro and its "risks" :) Let me know who's up for that.

timnik

Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2013
Littlebits said:
The only thing that SAS seems to detect that other miss is tracking cookies. You can simply block tracking cookies with Ghostery, Do Not Track Plus or SpywareBlaster then you want have to worry about having to remove them.

Are all three necessary in case of Chrome or just one of them? I just installed Ghostery.
Thanks for advices!
p.s. ran out of kudos for today :)

timnik

Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2013
jamescv7 said:
MBAM and HMP are mandatory scanners and continuously on going development for improvements.

MBAM = Malwarebytes
HMP = ?
:blush:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
HMP stands for Hitman Pro :), it becomes as a generic abbreviation.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Ads are one of the major causes of malware infections, block the ads then she can not click on them.

Tell me about it, on some sites it's hard to find the right download button since so many ads are on pages these days, plus they make the website unattractive.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well for resource issues isn't a problem for MSE and FW 7 in fact its just a small impact to be affected.

The protection could really guaranteed its satisfaction.

timnik

Thread author
Verified
Feb 27, 2013
jamescv7 said:
Well for resource issues isn't a problem for MSE and FW 7 in fact its just a small impact to be affected.

The protection could really guaranteed its satisfaction.

I interpret your answer as "Yes" :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
timnik said:
Will win7 FW + MSE (+ security add-ons for Chrome) be lighter on the resources but still acceptable in terms of security compared to the winners of Thread-Lightest-Av-Internet-Security-2012-13-version (Comodo, Eset, or Webroot) ?

That setup should be very light, just a note never go by what is posted on a poll, the results from polls are much different sometimes for each user. Many fanboys will vote for their favorite product even though it has nothing to do with the polls description. Winner of a poll just means that product had more fanboys, it is not an indication that the product is any better.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.