My other Cousin's Config

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
So heres my Older Cousins Config (21 y/o) He's tech savy but not savy when it comes to I.T. Security so he let me be in charge of it and i cleaned A LOT of infections from his laptop (notice the High risk) I don't have a lot of stuff on it due to I haven't been on his laptop in almost a Month now and until recently I tested out some sandboxing, Web Guards, etc. I was going to post this config awhile ago but never got to it.

The only problem is that he has a lot of crap on his laptop so I get a call from him every once in awhile complaining about the comodo pop ups.

So heres the story if you want to know,
He first had McAfee total protection for small businesses (because it was a school computer until he left High school and they said he can keep it) This is where infection number 1 happened... I have no idea how it happened so he said he was just on FB and the Win PC defender rouge popped up..I cleaned that so a few months later he got another rouge (forgot the name) Which I have no idea how he got it (probally from his Music and "Adult" content downloads) Note: this is before I was allowed to control his config.
So he finally let me fix, clean, and setup his security config.
Gave him Avast 6, MBAM, and SAS. (this was around Sept.) Infection number 3 which happened a little over a Month ago. He plugged in his flash drive which contained his Blubster Music/p2p downloader. He got the nasty Security Shield Thanks to the MT guide I repaired his internet (something was blocking me from killing the proxy) So it found a rootkit, got rid of it and ran MBAM, SAS, HitmanPro, and finally CCE In agressive because for some reason the rouge was still there after the MBAM, SAS, and hitmanPro scans. CCE found it all and the laptop is now clean... He asked me to replace his Avast so I said alright I'll give you CIS. He agreed because he was amazed with the CCE, quick repair, auto run ana, and Killswitch. Now he's complaining about CIS... so when I get on his laptop the next time I'll tweak his CIS so he isn't to annoyed.

So theres the long story... figured I'll share to explain some things about the config.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Likely disable the autorun features thus when viruses inserted on the USB it would not easily spread immediately, sometimes even though AV can detect it could slip through.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I would also say that change it from CO-MO-DO Internet Security to Avast Free along side the windows firewall because CO-MO-DO is for advanced users as I see it and with Avast you can install it and leave it. :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
McLovin said:
I would also say that change it from CO-MO-DO Internet Security to Avast Free along side the windows firewall because CO-MO-DO is for advanced users as I see it and with Avast you can install it and leave it. :)

He already used Avast, but still managed to infect the PC.

Would you recommend him to use a paid security solution, such as Norton or Kaspersky?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:

Would you recommend him to use a paid security solution, such as Norton or Kaspersky?

I then would recommend him to use Kaspersky because as far as I know Norton doesn't have any type of sandbox feature, Kaspersky does.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Yes buy him an internetsecurity. If you want least popups then set AVG FREE with Zone Alarm Free Firewall. Or else use a promo to get Trend Micro. He wont get a single popup with it.

3link9

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 22, 2011
Get him Chrome instead of Firefox. Chrome has sandbox but Firefox doesn't.
Forgot to mention that He does have chrome but rarely uses it.

Likely disable the autorun features thus when viruses inserted on the USB it would not easily spread immediately, sometimes even though AV can detect it could slip through.
Good thing I did that after the lastest infection.

I don't think Kaspersky would run on his computer as his laptop is pretty old and crappy as it is. Norton Might though.

Yes buy him an internetsecurity. If you want least popups then set AVG FREE with Zone Alarm Free Firewall. Or else use a promo to get Trend Micro. He wont get a single popup with it.
He hates AVG with a passion and I won't give him trend micro.

I might give him the word to buy Norton if he doesn't get a pirated version which I don't think he will since he only does for his music and his (child friendly word....) "Adult" Content.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
This adult content thing will bring a lot of viruses. Set him up on a dual boot with linux if he cant control adult content. He can safely use linux and get those music and stuff. Go for Norton or Kaspersky then.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Dual-booting Linux and Windows, makes the whole scenario more complex and unnecessary. Since he'll play the Music/Movie content on Windows.

?

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
For what does he use his PC? If only for Web browsing, Music or anything that can be done without Windows, let him use Ubuntu. Just get him some guides about Ubuntu's life cycle and teach him how to do basic tasks like installing updates, using software manager. If you have never used Ubuntu before, you can give it a test drive by installing it in a VM or installing it inside Windows. After you got its basics, you can install it on his PC inside Windows. If he likes it, keep it. If not, it can be removed very easily via Add or remove programs in Windows.
Download Windows installer: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer
Here is a simple tutorial for installation inside Windows: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/install-ubuntu-with-windows

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.