Troubleshoot My PC is way too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Hello, when i turn on my pc it needs like 2 mins and 30 seconds to load up to desktop screen and the icons to be shown.

When my PC is turned on and i do a restart, it takes 5 minutes to restart and load the desktop.

I did a full PC scan with my Avas Free Antivirus and no viruses were found.

Can you guys please help me?

My PC used to turn on in less than 60 like a year and a half... now its 2 mins 30 seconds.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    55.7 KB · Views: 406
  • FRST.txt
    43.5 KB · Views: 408

ZeePriest

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
Hello, when i turn on my pc it needs like 2 mins and 30 seconds to load up to desktop screen and the icons to be shown.

When my PC is turned on and i do a restart, it takes 5 minutes to restart and load the desktop.

I did a full PC scan with my Avas Free Antivirus and no viruses were found.

Can you guys please help me?

My PC used to turn on in less than 60 like a year and a half... now its 2 mins 30 seconds.
Have you been using a different AV in the past? Try uninstalling Avast and replace it with kaspersky free and see if it makes a difference.

Upvote 0

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

Please post the Fixlog.txt and let me know what problem persists.

Attachments

• fixlist.txt
    6.8 KB · Views: 339
Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Are you using an old magnetic drive or SSD? If not it's about time you get one.

Before I start answering your questions i gotta say it.

I am using a HDD, 2 TB's in total, my pc dealer told me multiple times to buy an SSD but he told me to go for the cheapest one which is 120 gb for windows only, however he told me that the files, videos, games, programs which are on HDD will be with the current HDD speed and not with the one of the SSD.

So the problem is that SSD here of 1 TB is 200 euros which is pretty expensive considering the country average salary is 250 euros.

Have you been using a different AV in the past? Try uninstalling Avast and replace it with kaspersky free and see if it makes a difference.

Today i uninstalled Avast as one IT Manager told me it consumes a lot of resources and it sucks in general, he told me to install Avira.

A question, why avast free antivirus sucks for computers in general???

I installed Avira and my PC is now FASTER !!! ^_^

Third problem, in November 2018 I bought a driver updater program for 15 euros, the program which i bought is " Driver Booster " from Iobit, here is the link : " Driver Booster Pro - Updating Outdated/Rare/Missing/Faulty Drivers and Backup All Drivers Automatically "

After the 1,41 GB of driver updates download, my PC started to suck, sometimes it turned on in less than 60 seconds sometimes in 2 minutes sometimes in 3 minutes then back to 60 seconds and now to 3 minutes.

My pc dealer had a verbal fight me why I bought a driver updater program when i dont even need it, it basically ruins computers for only 15-20 euros.

After i finish here i am gonna do a test on my computer, how long will it turn on when it is turned off and how long will it take to restart when it is turned on, since i uninstalled avast anti virus free.

Another question, does cleaning my pc with a compressor to remove the dust inside will solve the problem or it is a software issue?

I am 100% sure it a software issue.

I am gonna do the test now.

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
I am so sorry the title of this thread is sooo wrong, my pc is not slow, it takes a lot of time to BOOT UP !!!

I have bad news everyone, i restarted my PC while it was turned on and it came to desktop with all the icons loaded in miserable 4 minutes 54 seconds according to my smartphone stopwatch.

Then i turned it off, I waited 1 minute, then i turned it on and it boot up in 1 minute and 37 seconds.

Malwarebytes and Avast free antivirus showed that there are no viruses on my pc on full scan, according to avast this computer didnt have a virus since early 2019.

So this is a 100% software issue, could that be because of the drives which i updated back in 2018 ? :(

And that basically screwed up my PC? Or maybe cause i am using a HDD, but the HDD is 2 TB's and im using like 400 GB of total space.

Another quesiton, why is google chrome consuming so much CPU Memory and Disk according to the task manager??

Please answer to all of my questions before I do what nasqad said.

Attachments

• TaskManager.png
    TaskManager.png
    258.9 KB · Views: 342
  • TaskManager01.png
    TaskManager01.png
    277.3 KB · Views: 335
Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Look the task manager is now using 14 google chrome tasks or whatever they called.

What the... ?

My PC specs are shown in the screenshots below.

I don't have a bad computer this is a 100% software issue, it is all of that damned driver updater!

Please help me! :(

Attachments

• MyPCstats.png
    MyPCstats.png
    243.3 KB · Views: 338
  • TaskManager02.png
    TaskManager02.png
    285.3 KB · Views: 353
  • MyPCstats01.png
    MyPCstats01.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 333
Upvote 0

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Let's calm down and deal with it.
I'm using a pc with lower performance than your pc. The c drive is an 80GB ssd. It takes about one minute to start.
キャプチャ.PNG

I'm using a chrome browser, but I don't think there's a problem with memory consumption. Also, unless you're loading Chrome as a startup, you don't have to worry about that.
2キャプチャ.PNG

Dust inside the pc case is not a reason for slowdown. In many cases, other phenomena will occur, such as a sudden shutdown or a beeping sound from the motherboard.

Guessable cause
■ C drive connection cable connection failure or internal disconnection
■ Corruption of system files read at boot time
■ Things related to software registered in the startup

I presume that the driver updater program is the most suspicious source of trouble.

Have you tried booting in safe mode?

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If your computer is booting slowly, then most likely it is not infected and there will be some other cause. Quite possibly your hard drive is starting to fail and has one or more bad sectors. All hard drives start to fail eventually. I recommend that you download and install the trial version of Hard Disk Sentinel. It will instantly tell you if there are issues with your hard drive. If it finds any problems, attach a screenshot or copy and past what it reported.

If your hard drive is failing, it should be possible to clone it to another hard drive or preferably a SSD, without you losing any data.

If your hard drive is running fine, then it will not be the cause of your very slow startup. While a SSD will improve performance, you need to find what's causing the slowdown before spending money on one.

Also, as has been mentioned, updating drivers could be the cause. It probably isn't, but it's a possibility. Did the slowdown start after updating drivers and rebooting? If it didn't, we can rule out the driver updater causing the slowdown.

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Also, as has been mentioned, updating drivers could be the cause. It probably isn't, but it's a possibility. Did the slowdown start after updating drivers and rebooting? If it didn't, we can rule out the driver updater causing the slowdown.

Good Morning all, I just woke up and I left my PC to be scanned while i was sleeping by my new anti virus Avira.

Roger, I am not using the driver updater program anymore, i uninstalled like 2 years ago on the recommendation of my PC dealer.

Just like Avast, Avira also showed no sign of viruses or anything.

So basically this is software or a hardware issue.

I have a question, I forgot to mention at the start, while my computer is working the PC case is making noise !!!

Like " brrrrr " " bzzzzz " its not loud but i can hear it and it goes on my nerves sometimes !!

The noises are like a human fart " rrrrr " What is that and what is the cause of the noises?

Another question, someone told me that i should clean my registry and download a registry cleaner.

But Mr. Google says that a registry cleaner can do more harm to your PC than actual helping because it can delete a valuable registry keys.

Just like the driver updater, any thoughts about this ?

Regards!

Attachments

• AviraFullScan.png
    AviraFullScan.png
    1,020.1 KB · Views: 346
Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
@Filip It will be a noisy fan. It could be due to excessive dust, or possibly the bearing are wearing out. The latter option would require replacing the fan.

Hahahahahahahaha, this is a joke.

Look, the performance and health are both excellent, both 100% according to Hard Disk Sentinel Trial version.

You didn't answer about the registry cleaner, bro.

Attachments

• HardDiskSentinel.png
    HardDiskSentinel.png
    177.9 KB · Views: 333
Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Look, the performance and health are both excellent, both 100% according to Hard Disk Sentinel Trial version.
That shows that the hard drive does need to be replaced, which is good, but does not provide a solution to your problem. You can run a surface scan with HD Sentinel.

Go to the Disk menu and select Surface Test and run a Read test. This will indicate if any sectors on the hard drive are taking longer than usual to read.
During the tests, Hard Disk Sentinel verifies the integrity of each sectors under the displayed blocks. If the block is accessible and can be processed without errors, they are shown by green color. Darker green color means that the sectors are slower and harder to process (read or write depending on the test type) but they are still good.

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
I cant do that operation, it says:

" Available only after registration and activation "

I downloaded the trial version just like you told me, shouldnt that version be with all functions available ??

Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Before I start answering your questions i gotta say it.

I am using a HDD, 2 TB's in total, my pc dealer told me multiple times to buy an SSD but he told me to go for the cheapest one which is 120 gb for windows only, however he told me that the files, videos, games, programs which are on HDD will be with the current HDD speed and not with the one of the SSD.

So the problem is that SSD here of 1 TB is 200 euros which is pretty expensive considering the country average salary is 250 euros.
If I understand correctly against your PC dealers advice you are using 2TB HDD has your windows boot drive.

The issue about your game load times are semi valid but overall its going to bring you more problems using a 2TB HDD has your windows boot-up drive.

At first install that 2TB drive will boot up fast has more and more data gets added on to it and disk fragmentation occurs
you can expect slow boot times of up to 5 minutes. I went through the same thing with my 2TB SHDD which is marginally faster than a normal HDD but no
where close to lightning fast boot-up times compared to a SSD.

There is no need to use 1TB SSD drive for your windows installation yes indeed 1TB even 512GB can be expensive buying a 256GB SSD would serve mainly for your windows installation and your 2TB HDD for storage and games etc. Doing this will solve all your problems and save you tons of wasted time trying to get your 2TB drive to keep up fast or consistent boot times.

If I was forced to use a 2TB drive has a boot drive I would create a separate partition for my windows install (+/-250GB) and use another partition for installing games and programs etc. You would have to defrag you windows install parition from time to time to keep things running smoothly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
Someone told me that i should clean my registry and download a registry cleaner.

But on google based on opinions of a computer professionals says that a registry cleaner can do more harm to your PC than actual helping because it can delete a valuable registry keys.

Just like the driver updater, any thoughts about this ?

Also should the old school tricks for boosting up pc's speed work?

Like using the windows tools, defragment, error checking, deleting temporary files, disk cleanup and i forgot the others... :D

Regards!

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Someone told me that i should clean my registry and download a registry cleaner.
Not only is it exceptionally rare for cleaning the registry to increase performance, but more than 99% of registry cleaners have issues with false positives. This means that they will sometimes want to delete needed registry keys, which can cause problems. As a result, I highly recommend you don't clean the registry. It won't fix your startup issues and may cause problems.

Upvote 0

Filip

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
May 13, 2015
My new anti virus program Avira has a smart scan feature.

Can you please see these screenshots?

Should I delete the unnecessary files occupying disk space and clean the registry or just delete the 1,65 GB files?

Check the Screenshots and tell me.

Attachments

• Avira.png
    Avira.png
    230 KB · Views: 333
  • Avira01.png
    Avira01.png
    249.3 KB · Views: 318
  • Avira02.png
    Avira02.png
    236 KB · Views: 318
  • Avira03.png
    Avira03.png
    236 KB · Views: 326
Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
My new anti virus program Avira has a smart scan feature.

Can you please see these screenshots?

Should I delete the unnecessary files occupying disk space and clean the registry or just delete the 1,65 GB files?

Check the Screenshots and tell me.
I doubt that doing any of that will have any significant effect on boot times.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.